Trying to figure this out.

Oysterr51

I have a Garmin 550.  I have had some success, but am frustrated again.  About two weeks ago, went out, found some caches, logged in my GPS my comments and my finds and filled in the logs.

Now trying to connect to the computer and download my success, and it keeps asking me again and again to download and install Garmin communicator.  I must have done it many many times..  still when I try to connect.  No luck at all.  Using Windows 10, can use Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome for a browser to get into Geocaching.com.

Garmin recognizes my machine, says it's all up to date.  But how to get to a list of found caches transferred to the geocaching.com site.  I go to a site on the geocaching.com site and try to load it to the 550...  need the communicator..  WTH am I doing or not doing?

All help appreciated.

Edited by Oysterr51

The communicator is for downloading caches TO your Garmin. And of course, it is no longer supported with newer browsers. 

What you want when you want to upload your field note logs FROM your GPS is the Drafts function on the web site. Select Drafts from the Play menu on the Geocaching web site. There will be an Upload button to transfer your Field Notes (drafts) from your Garmin to the web site. From there, you can edit, embellish, and then save each Draft as a final cache log. 

• Upvote 2
23 minutes ago, Oysterr51 said:

So now that we know that works...  from here, how do I put more caches into my 550?

I have basecamp...  will that work?

To save one cache description, click the "GPX File" button on any cache page, and save it to the Garmin/GPX folder on the GPS. Save GPX files from an unzipped Pocket Query in same folder.

You can instead save the GPX file into Basecamp, and from there, save it to your GPS. Extra work, so it depends on what you use Basecamp for.

Edited by kunarion
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

To save one cache description, click the "GPX File" button on any cache page, and save it to the Garmin/GPX folder on the GPS. Save GPX files from an unzipped Pocket Query in same folder.

You can instead save the GPX file into Basecamp, and from there, save it to your GPS. Extra work, so it depends on what you use Basecamp for.

OK, I must be dense perhaps...  but I still need some help.  I right clicked on the file, it said Save as...  and I directed it to my Garmin device in Garmin, it became a separate file and did not transfer as a GPX file....    help again please....

OMG  I figured it out...  OK..  for those watching... 

First I verified that my GPS is actually connected to my computer and to Geocaching.com and and sent in some caches I had found recently.

I went to Geocaching.com   found the cache I wanted to find.

I clicked on it, three options...  Add to List, Send to GPS, Log Visit

Instead of those, click on the Cache title

It says LOC waypoint file, GPX file, or Send to my GPS

Click on GPX file

the file on my computer then moves to the bottom left of my screen and comes up as a .gpx file

I click on the bottom left and it brings up the file info and a menu with a heading of EASY GPS and the GPS file number.

The menu reads File, Edit, Geocache, Tools, GPS, Window, Help

I click on GPS, and then Send to GPS.

Instantly the cache was transferred to my GPS.  I removed the GPS from the computer, and looked for it, and it was indeed there.

Even if nobody else enjoys this, I am printing this out for my reference, and thank the two above posters for helping me out.

regards, Oysterr51

Edited by Oysterr51
1 hour ago, Oysterr51 said:

Click on GPX file

the file on my computer then moves to the bottom left of my screen and comes up as a .gpx file

I click on the bottom left and it brings up the file info and a menu with a heading of EASY GPS and the GPS file number.

So you have the software "EasyGPS" installed.  It's cool that it works like that, kind of like the old "Send To GPS" button, in a way.

Edited by kunarion
On 7/30/2018 at 9:44 PM, kunarion said:

So you have the software "EasyGPS" installed.  It's cool that it works like that, kind of like the old "Send To GPS" button, in a way.

The are several waypoint managers (probably most, if not all) that can Send and often Receive geocache data (waypoints) between the application and a GPS.   The difference between that and the old "Send To GPS" button is that it would send data to the GPS *from the web site*, and that required a browser plugin which used technology (NPAPI) that has a security vulnerability.  

3 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

The are several waypoint managers (probably most, if not all) that can Send and often Receive geocache data (waypoints) between the application and a GPS.   The difference between that and the old "Send To GPS" button is that it would send data to the GPS *from the web site*, and that required a browser plugin which used technology (NPAPI) that has a security vulnerability.  

I know there are ways to load a GPX file from a PC.  But I was specifically referring to this capability, which as written, is maybe 3 clicks to do basically what the old "Send To GPS" did:

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:56 PM, Oysterr51 said:

Click on GPX file

Instantly the cache was transferred to my GPS.  I removed the GPS from the computer, and looked for it, and it was indeed there.

Sure, since saving a file directly from "GPX File" requires about the same effort (also since Pocket Queries or "Send To Garmin" may load a whole townsful of caches at once), it's probably simpler to not bother with EasyGPS at all.  But EasyGPS can load some older GPSs that otherwise can't be loaded directly.

I deleted EasyGPS because it pops up and annoys me when trying to do anything GPX related :rolleyes:.  So I haven't tested it as a replacement for "Send To GPS".  But I have made some waypoint and "Geocache" files from scratch with EasyGPS.  It's not bad for that.

Edited by kunarion