DiveCaching

K!nder

Hi you all,

i have a doubt about scuba diving geocaches. I got my Open Water Certification so i will start doing some scuba dives. So i was wondering if there were many caches of this type. I have seen quite a few already. But then i though that in the few dives i already performed i have found some pretty interesting places, so why not identificate one or two with a geocache?

But then it came to my mind that i don't want to contribute to the deterioration of the ocean/sea. So no plastic containers will be used, and then i though maybe a ceramic container will be fine for the job. But i am not an expert in ocean life so i don't know if it will harm the sea or not.

Anyone can help me with that? Is there any type of container that can be left in the ocean without any problem? What is your thoughs about this topic.

Cheers,

K!nder aka André

There are a few ways to do dive caches, and they all have challenges.

If you don't want to leave plastic in the ocean, you could have them get information from an underwater location (the number on a bell, or how many windows on the ship, etc), and then use that to calculate a final location on land.

In general, if you leave something in the ocean, it is going to become part of the ocean, and sea life may grow on it, live in it, etc.

Buoyancy will be an issue, as well as water resistance.  If you put a container of 'air' down there, it will likely float and leak.  Is the diver expected to bring it to the surface to open it?  It is still going to get water in it, and someone will probably try to open it underwater.  But as a diver, depending on the depth and placement, it may not be safe or advisable to bring it up and take it back down (consider your dive tables).  Or you can make your placement part of the wet environment (such as a dive slate only).   Either way you are adding to the environment.

Most people will not take their actual GPS on the dive with them, as they are not rated for depth.  The location will be determined from the surface only, the underwater portion will need to be rather obvious or described.  Searching and 'work' under water can be difficult.

9 minutes ago, fuzziebear3 said:

There are a few ways to do dive caches, and they all have challenges.

If you don't want to leave plastic in the ocean, you could have them get information from an underwater location (the number on a bell, or how many windows on the ship, etc), and then use that to calculate a final location on land.

In general, if you leave something in the ocean, it is going to become part of the ocean, and sea life may grow on it, live in it, etc.

Buoyancy will be an issue, as well as water resistance.  If you put a container of 'air' down there, it will likely float and leak.  Is the diver expected to bring it to the surface to open it?  It is still going to get water in it, and someone will probably try to open it underwater.  But as a diver, depending on the depth and placement, it may not be safe or advisable to bring it up and take it back down (consider your dive tables).  Or you can make your placement part of the wet environment (such as a dive slate only).   Either way you are adding to the environment.

Most people will not take their actual GPS on the dive with them, as they are not rated for depth.  The location will be determined from the surface only, the underwater portion will need to be rather obvious or described.  Searching and 'work' under water can be difficult.

It will be done to be logged underwater, since it will be 16 meters under. The container will be obvious, and i will have to think about living something there or not.

Any doubt might be in how many people ever access  it over the years.    :)  

Time/current may simply move it unless attached to something .  Wrecks are protected in a lot of areas.  

Where folks would log it is an issue.  You don't want people to open/close and move it around either.

Similar to fuzziebear3, a stage in a multi could work, with coordinates to the stage (on land)  inside a clear container.

Any clear waterproof case would work there.   

Stay put in the water and a dive slate could be the ticket (remind folks to bring a pencil  :-).

"Deterioration of the ocean" not really an issue for a plastic dive container...

3 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Any doubt might be in how many people ever access  it over the years.    :)  

Time/current may simply move it unless attached to something .  Wrecks are protected in a lot of areas.  

Where folks would log it is an issue.  You don't want people to open/close and move it around either.

Similar to fuzziebear3, a stage in a multi could work, with coordinates to the stage (on land)  inside a clear container.

Any clear waterproof case would work there.   

Stay put in the water and a dive slate could be the ticket (remind folks to bring a pencil  :-).

"Deterioration of the ocean" not really an issue for a plastic dive container...

The problem with a multi with the final coordenate in land is that here people like the easy way so in a few days the land coordenate will be divulgated and everyone will go only to the final point. And since it is logged there i can't refuse the log online.

In terms of number of people visiting the geocache it is not a problem i am used to it already and i prefer that way :) my idea was to find something like 

https://www.google.pt/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj8w5DIocfcAhXJx4UKHUnOD4UQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.laceramicaantica.org%2Fanfore-eta-romana%2F&psig=AOvVaw3GVSXuW-u_1BAO_qEzFjB0&ust=1533055127330204

And attach it to a place under with waterprof logbook or something like a shell to log you nick name with a pencil.

What do you both think?

• Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, K!nder said:

The problem with a multi with the final coordenate in land...

my idea was to find something like 

https://www.google.pt/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj8w5DIocfcAhXJx4UKHUnOD4UQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.laceramicaantica.org%2Fanfore-eta-romana%2F&psig=AOvVaw3GVSXuW-u_1BAO_qEzFjB0&ust=1533055127330204

And attach it to a place under with waterprof logbook or something like a shell to log you nick name with a pencil.

Yeah, I can see a tough cache getting lots of PAFs and such. 

I think the guideline  "log with a container" still applies.   A Reviewer uses a holey ammo can with a dive slate inside.      :)

- You'd have to ask yours and see.    Looks cool.  Will people have to move relics underwater to find your cache?

I've owned some underwater caches, though none that required scuba. The key is to use something signable underwater - like a dive slate, If possible, with its pencil attached.  It's best if this is enclosed somewhat, for protection, and to serve as the required container - but not in something water tight. Small mesh dive bag would work.

There's dive cache that's been out for several years, unfound, off the coast of Florida. Recently maintained too https://coord.info/GC5808D 

He was able to attach to the artificial reef structure.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
15 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Yeah, I can see a tough cache getting lots of PAFs and such. 

I think the guideline  "log with a container" still applies.   A Reviewer uses a holey ammo can with a dive slate inside.      :)

- You'd have to ask yours and see.    Looks cool.  Will people have to move relics underwater to find your cache?

No there will be no relics to move. The thing is to create a letterbox underwater under a mussel artificial structure in north of spain. There is a huge chain attaching the structure to the floor of the sea and a wreck.

The place is nice with a lot of starfish, swarm of fish and octopus.