need German help

mtnmom17

i found a TB in Idaho, United States that wanted to go to Germany. i had friends going there on a church mission and they agreed to take it for me, altho they are not geocachers. They found a local person who knew where a cache was and she placed it for me....but since none of them are geocachers all she gave me is the following: latitude 49.75 longitude 6.67 or N49,45.0. i have tried to find a cache near Trier, Germany with those coordinates so i can log the TB but not having much success. Plus i don't read or speak German!!! i thought i was going the TB good by moving him along but maybe not such a good idea after all....anyone out there who can help me get it recorded? thanks so much...mtnmom17

Throwing out some quick thoughts/calculations:

It looks like they gave you decimal degree coordinates, and they are not very precise. The distance between 49.75, 6.67 and 49.76, 6.68 is 0.82 miles - so realistically, if they rounded correctly, this cache can be anywhere within a radius of 0.41 miles (a 0.52-square-mile area).

So widen your search.

She gave you no other information? Approximate size of the cache? What day did she drop it?

EDIT to add: Assuming it's a traditional cache, your best bets are these:

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4TB11_im-wilden-talchen

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4BKDB_in-den-wandelgarten

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC63B0F_lies-lieber-mal-n-gutes-buch

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6P5CD_zu-ehren-meines-papas

Here's the search I used:

https://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?t=m&lat_ns=1&lat_h=49&lat_mmss=45.000&long_ew=1&long_h=6&long_mmss=40.2&dist=1&submit8=Search

Use Google Translate to check the most recent logs. They may talk about your TB.

And finally,  Germans seem to be on the ball with trackables, so worst case scenario, they'll find it and correct its logs. :)

Edited by TriciaG
  • Upvote 1

Agree with TriciaG.

Rather than guess which cache it may have gone into,  just forget about on your end of the issue ( no more movement for you) , but watch the trackable for fun if you'd like .

- Leave it for someone to find it, Grab it from you, and (hopefully) correct whatever needs to be corrected.   :)

"Guessing" might possibly just have the same issues as now ... the next finder will have to fix it.

We've "corrected" a bunch of trackables the past few years.   Incorrect logging , or forgetting to  log mostly.

Not sure why you thought it okay to give another's property to a non-member, but lesson learned.  ;)

TriciaG, thanks for the help. no other info was given to me but i can email and see if they can help. i will see if i can find what day she placed it and look at logs since then...i know it was big enough for the TB to fit into. and i agree, the TB might already be logged as found and i will check that also. i found the Cathedral of Trier is near the coordinates but as you stated, the distance to actual cache can be some distance away and there are numerous caches near the Cathedral..

according to cerberus1 i did wrong by giving to someone to place for me...guess i thought it would be same as someone taking it from me...and thought it would work out. i am not giving up on logging it, just thought others might have suggestions instead of criticism....thanks again TriciaG.....

8 minutes ago, mtnmom17 said:

according to cerberus1 i did wrong by giving to someone to place for me...guess i thought it would be same as someone taking it from me...and thought it would work out. i am not giving up on logging it, just thought others might have suggestions instead of criticism...

Skip right over my suggestion?

You gave someone not even a member of this site someone else's property and you're upset ?

- A member "Grabbing" it from you would be a member. 

• Upvote 1

cerberus1, i am not upset. one reason i don't post is because as stated above, we can't really read what others are saying...emails are same way, they can cause hurt feelings when done are intended....i was asking for help, i already realized the error of what i did...i needed to know if there was a way to correct it....i hope there are no hard feelings between 2 geocachers who don't even know each other.....i am sure you meant it as help.....i will continue to try and rectify my error.....thank you...mtnmom17

just in case anyone who replied to my previous post wants to know the TB is safe and on it's journey. the non cacher who placed it went back and took picture of container and all that was inside. luckily the cache name was there, along with another identify number i was able to track to that cache. so i was able to record where it was dropped. the cache owner knew i was doing this and emailed to let me know it had been picked up and sent on it's way....

yes it was a lesson learned....probably not the last mistake i will make but i appreciated your suggestions to remedy the error i made....

• Upvote 1