interesting

Jayeffel

I have a cache in south central Pa. that has not been recorded as visited since June 1, 2018. The last visiter dropped a trackable there, with no visitors since I would expect it to still be there-- I do need to check on it since the rains recently. Anyway, I was checking the log about the cache and saw the trackable was dropped.

But looking at the trackable number it was "discovered " 7-14-18 at an event, possibly in New Hampshire! I sent a message to that person and got a response that stated, if I understood correctly, they have a list of trackable numbers people take copies of and use that to "discover"  the trackable. The search of the trackable number says it was discovered at an event, then gives cache  GC7JW47, which is the number of my cache! It sure looks like some hanky panky is going on.

edit: erred in info, trackable was dropped June 1, 2018, was Found again, July 1, 2018, no mention of trackable at that time.

Edited by Jayeffel
correction of info and punctuation and spelling.

Not the first time its happened and not the last.

It's why when you post a picture of the TB you have to hide the code or robot will find it and you will receive discovered from everywhere.

Also some people love to cheat and one ways to do it include TB list. Some people do the same with lab cache. 

8 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

post a picture of the TB you have to hide the code

i think you can get the code simply by going to a cache page, look for a trackable, select a trackable and the next page shows info of that trackable --with the code very evident. too easy that way. 

11 minutes ago, Jayeffel said:

i think you can get the code simply by going to a cache page, look for a trackable, select a trackable and the next page shows info of that trackable --with the code very evident. too easy that way. 

That's not so. There is no way to find the trackable code from any of the pages on the site.

The code you see on the trackable homepage cannot be used to log it.

Edited by MartyBartfast
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Jayeffel said:

The Trackable's reference number (starts with TB) that's to the right of all trackable names, and directly under whether the item's "collectible" or not (on the page), isn't the same as the tracking code.

If you're looking at your own trackable pages, that'd be why your seeing the code as well.   :)

1 hour ago, Jayeffel said:

you can see a REFERENCE number on any trackable page. You can use the reference number to log a Write Note log to the trackable page (probably the most common, "TB not in cache")

To log grab or discover takes the TRACKING number, the number on the coin or the TB tag.

The trackable owner sees the trackable number on the trackable page. No one else.

• Helpful 1
11 hours ago, Jayeffel said:

But looking at the trackable number it was "discovered " 7-14-18 at an event, possibly in New Hampshire! I sent a message to that person and got a response that stated, if I understood correctly, they have a list of trackable numbers people take copies of and use that to "discover"  the trackable. The search of the trackable number says it was discovered at an event, then gives cache  GC7JW47, which is the number of my cache! It sure looks like some hanky panky is going on.

I've never seen or heard the phrase "hanky panky" used in this sort of context.  Normally it refers to things of a more private nature...   

2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

The Trackable's reference number (starts with TB) that's to the right of all trackable names, and directly under whether the item's "collectible" or not (on the page), isn't the same as the tracking code.

I knew that, just got a bit backwards in thinking. Happens to often! I did check the cache this morning, the cache with the name on the cache page under irackables is there, nowhere else.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:46 PM, Lynx Humble said:

Not the first time its happened and not the last.

It's why when you post a picture of the TB you have to hide the code or robot will find it and you will receive discovered from everywhere.

Also some people love to cheat and one ways to do it include TB list. Some people do the same with lab cache. 

I was looking at some of the Treasurex trackable listings a few minutes ago. The first one I came to had this under it's description,,, 

Found this page but not the trackable?  You can still discover me!  Shhh!!!    Code: TXA***

Most people try to keep the number from being abused but not in this case. Oh well, the silliness begins! :rolleyes:

I had a number of travel bugs that had been gone for years suddenly start showing up as discovered. I locked them down and deleted the bogus logs.

I do not see the attraction of just having a list of travel bug numbers to discover if you have never seen them. Of course, I was never in favor of discover logs anyway. The point of travelers is to pick them up and move them along. if you do not move them, why log them t all?

1 hour ago, Dave_W6DPS said:

I do not see the attraction of just having a list of travel bug numbers to discover if you have never seen them. Of course, I was never in favor of discover logs anyway. The point of travelers is to pick them up and move them along. if you do not move them, why log them t all?

Seems some use them for challenges, and Discover works since the site doesn't separate trackable "finds" by log type. 

I Discover trackables simply because I don't cache enough, and the caches I hit aren't visited often.  I didn't put them there...

Because I Discover trackables in that higher D/T range, the TO at least now knows it's still safe and sound.  :)

Edited by cerberus1
eddddit
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Dave_W6DPS said:

I was never in favor of discover logs anyway. The point of travelers is to pick them up and move them along. if you do not move them, why log them t all?

I log them because of the first part of your post:  the thought that owners appreciate logs about finders actually holding the item, in the sea of mishandling them.  In that case, since my log shows where the item is and includes a photo, you have in some cases the first real information ever about its travels.  Sometimes a lot has changed with the item as cachers got ahold of it.  A metal Geocoin has become a photocopy covered in tape, and you didn't know that.

If you can't stand Discover logs ever, mention that restriction in the TBs description.  I honored a recent TB description, where a mishandled TB was unlisted in a cache.  I didn't mention it.  "No Discovers", its Mission.  I logged the other one that I found there and posted the photos.  But I posted nothing on the "No Discover" TB's page.  Say "No Discover Logs", and you may get exactly that.  Super.

Or do what you do, delete the logs. But I will wonder why anyone who can't stand real logs would place a TB in the first place.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Because I Discover trackables in that higher D/T range, the TO at least now knows it's still safe and sound. 

The owner can also be frustrated that their trackable has wound up in in a rarely visited cache and the only person to visit in months left it there.

4 minutes ago, kunarion said:

I log them because of the first part of your post:  the thought that owners appreciate logs about finders actually holding the item, in the sea of mishandling them. 

…..

Or do what you do, delete the logs. But I will wonder why anyone who can't stand real logs would place a TB in the first place.

I can appreciate real logs. I find no value in fake logs. The logs I deleted were fake logs posted by people who share lists of trackable numbers to "discover", even if they have never seen the trackable.

What value is there in fake logs?

Just now, Dave_W6DPS said:

The owner can also be frustrated that their trackable has wound up in in a rarely visited cache and the only person to visit in months left it there.

I don't like unscrambling the TB logs all the time.  Sometimes I just intend to find a cache and go.  Hope you don't mind.  If you have nothing in the TB's mission about picking it up immediately, I'd easily assume you don't mind if it stays.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Dave_W6DPS said:

I can appreciate real logs. I find no value in fake logs. The logs I deleted were fake logs posted by people who share lists of trackable numbers to "discover", even if they have never seen the trackable.

Delete the fake logs.  Show great appreciation for the real logs, even if only Discovered and left in an infrequently found cache. :)

1 minute ago, kunarion said:

I don't like unscrambling the TB logs all the time.  Sometimes I just intend to find a cache and go.  Hope you don't mind.  If you have nothing in the TB's mission about picking it up immediately, I'd easily assume you don't mind if it stays.

I never thought that would be needed, since the point of travelers is to travel. I generally did give my travelers goals, even if it was just to move around.

4 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Delete the fake logs.  Show great appreciation for the real logs, even if only Discovered and left in an infrequently found cache. :)

Please note that the point of this topic is fake logs produced by people sharing lists of traveler numbers for the purpose of generating fake "discovered" logs.

The moral is, if you do not have it in your hand, do not log it.

I should not have distracted the topic by mentioning not liking discovery logs. The real issue is fake logs.

Edited by Dave_W6DPS
18 minutes ago, Dave_W6DPS said:

Please note that the point of this topic is fake logs produced by people sharing lists of traveler numbers for the purpose of generating fake "discovered" logs.

The moral is, if you do not have it in your hand, do not log it.

Got it. :)

But don't tell me. This person had a reply beyond the bounds of "fake logs".  If he returns, let him know that this thread isn't about whether Discover logs in general are appropriate.

That respondent said: "I was never in favor of discover logs anyway. The point of travelers is to pick them up and move them along. if you do not move them, why log them t all?"

I kinda like "Discover" logs (yeah, not fake ones).  But I also specify in the description how I'd hope my TB is handled.  I don't enjoy seeing my TB supposedly being carried with 500 other TBs to every cache some guy finds. The unending robotic "Took It To" logs are not for me.  Place it into a cache and log the drop.  That kind of "cache to cache", the verifiable kind.  I specify that.  Otherwise, for sure the TB is handled however the finder does it.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, kunarion said:

But don't tell me. This person had a reply beyond the bounds of "fake logs".  If he returns, let him know that this thread isn't about whether Discover logs in general are appropriate.

Yep.  The post I responded to had mention of "fake logs" , an aversion ("I was never in favor of...") to a log type, and a question.   

Thought I responded okay...   :)

11 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Yep.  The post I responded to had mention of "fake logs" , an aversion ("I was never in favor of...") to a log type, and a question.   

Thought I responded okay...   :)

Yeah. :P

The OP mentioned the issue revolves around an Event.  That's where TBs go to die.  One of mine was logged into the black hole of An Event where resides in limbo to this day.  Whoa, coming up on 6 years...

But Events are also where printed lists are circulated.  I don't log tracking numbers from a printout, even assured that "it's just all these you see here". But I do make a Discover log of as many on the Table Of Doom as I can.  It's the last we'll ever see of some of them.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Dave_W6DPS said:

This is my question. I understand they’re cheating in some way. Are they trying to boost numbers for a contest theyre in? 

22 minutes ago, BugLuv said:

This is my question. I understand they’re cheating in some way. Are they trying to boost numbers for a contest theyre in? 

Many cachers are after the highest numbers in all things.  What's Geocaching?  Naw, it's numbers that are important.  Gotta Cacth'em All, and if you can make a cache throwdown or see a tracking number, or whatever causes a number increase, that's what you do.  Sounds great, I know.  But it's not my idea of fun.  I can "create numbers" without even leaving the house.

There are challenge caches such as challeges where you need to have made 500 Travel Bug logs.  I log what I'm told is "way too many" trackables at Events on the "Discover-Only Table", yet after 9 years, I've moved or discovered 259 TBs.  Imagine the boost if I used lists of reaped "numbers".  That would be much easier than finding the actual TBs. :rolleyes:

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1