FTF Prize?

colleda

I just had a look at a new cache, that has recently been published, belonging to a new conributor to this forum. I read the FTF log and saw that the finder has claimed an item of swag as a FTF prize(?). I read the cache description and there was no mention of a prize for FTF. I thought that it was really presumptuous of the finder to grab a piece of swag in this way. Poor form in my opinion. Its not the first time I've seen this happen. What do others think?

Edited by colleda
spelling
2 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

I agree with @colleda it's poor form to take something without leaving something of equal value if it wasn't specifically designated as an "FTF prize",

I agree with @colleda also.

Usually, if the CO intends an object in the cache to be taken as an FTF prize they'll say so on the cache page and typically label said object so that it's obvious.

We see this often in a few areas.  Long-time  cachers mostly. 

Maybe leftover from when most caches had FTF prizes set aside in the cache , or a "take one item for FTF" note left on cache pages.

- Stats more the draw that a lottery ticket or toy now...

Did the same as you, and was surprised that someone would be rude enough to "assume" with no notice on the cache page.

- The CO new (and nice) enough that they even put the FTFers name on the cache page too... 

16 hours ago, colleda said:

I just had a look at a new cache, that has recently been published, belonging to a new conributor to this forum. I read the FTF log and saw that the finder has claimed an item of swag as a FTF prize(?). I read the cache description and there was no mention of a prize for FTF. I thought that it was really presumptuous of the finder to grab a piece of swag in this way. Poor form in my opinion. Its not the first time I've seen this happen. What do others think?

I'm shocked the FTF was honest enough to mention it.

On 7/29/2018 at 1:29 AM, colleda said:

Be careful you aren't jumping to conclusions. I sometimes will leave a FTF prize in a cache with a note attached to it identifying it as such. I will not always make any mention of a FTF prize on the cache page. This way, the FTF is a nice little surprise that is found, rather than something that is anticipated. Maybe it is presumptuous of a finder to grab something for a FTF prize if the CO did not intend there to be a FTF prize, but it may also be presumptuous to assume that the CO did not mark something as FTF prize in the cache.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Schirf said:

In one of my large caches I left a note on the FTF prize, but nobody took it.   Now I leave smaller F2F prizes, like IKEA stuffed animals in zip-lock bags.

I don't leave any FTF prizes. The "prize" for FTF is their name in the first spot on the log. :) And I would look askance at a cacher that said they helped themselves to a piece of swag as a FTF prize. That's just as bad as anyone else taking swag without a proper swap.

Edited by TriciaG
  • Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Fugads said:

Be careful you aren't jumping to conclusions. I sometimes will leave a FTF prize in a cache with a note attached to it identifying it as such. I will not always make any mention of a FTF prize on the cache page. This way, the FTF is a nice little surprise that is found, rather than something that is anticipated. Maybe it is presumptuous of a finder to grab something for a FTF prize if the CO did not intend there to be a FTF prize, but it may also be presumptuous to assume that the CO did not mark something as FTF prize in the cache.

Well...folks rarely read the cache pages anyway, so maybe it makes more sense to leave a note in the cache itself.  Besides, once the cache is found, the note on the cache page isn't really necessary anymore anyway.

• Upvote 1

When my granddaughter filled her cache with little toys and such, she put a wooden car in a baggie on top that stated FTF. The first one that found it took it as we wanted. She was very happy that it was taken. The FTF left a very nice comment that made her more happy.

I never advertised any FTF prize on her cache site.

I always read any cache site pages before actually going to a cache we want to hunt. I also read several of the recent comments others left. Photos also help.

On 7/31/2018 at 6:12 AM, Fugads said:

Agreed!

I once got an FTF "prize" at a cache that had no mention of an "FTF prize" on the cache page, although the CO did add a mention of it on the cache page later.  The prize was rubber-banded to the outside of the container, did not fit inside the container, and had a post-it note on it that said "ftf prize".  I didn't have anything with me to trade for it, but took it anyway.  It was a seasonal give and so I hope to place a cache in the upcoming season to pass it along as an FTF prize to someone else.

6 hours ago, mavwitt said:

I have not placed a cache but I intend to do so soon. What do you think about me leaving one of my personal path tags as an FTF prize?

Fine by me.  I am not a pt collector, but many are.  If the FTF isn't interested, someone else certainly will be.