A practice puzzle for those with nothing better to do

kiwimonster

Perhaps, if you solve it and interpret it correctly, it will lead you to a cheap trinket that could be a teaser for things to come...

teaser000.jpg

This is similiar to a puzzle type that Games Magazine would call a "Paint by Numbers", but it is different. I'm sure google can lead you to information on how to solve them.

While the trinket is not on the street, you don't have to step off of the street to get it.

hept-hole.gif

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!! The Pyramids are coming... THE PYRAMIDS ARE COMING!!! Kiwimonster is placing another cache!!! Oh the inhumanity... THE INHUMANITY!!!

Now that I got that out of my system, we've got the trinket. It's a little pyramid puzzle w/ a note attached. "The Pyramid Caches are Coming by KIWIMONSTER". Sounds like a threat if we've ever heard one.

Paint by numbers? It's more like a twisted game of minesweeper... Joy loves that game.

I'm glad you explained the whole Corcodile thing nmartin. For a moment there we thought you were talking about some strange pokemon thing.

Thanks for the early exercise Kiwimonster. I wasn't sure if "street" actually meant driveway, and was halfway tempted to go knock on the door, but once again it wasn't as hard as I was making it. We'll solve the game & leave it in a new cache shortly.

Speaking of new caches....

"And then Trogdor smote the Kerrek, and all was laid to burnination."

Very good JOYSON. I'm very impressed. The funny thing was that I was up at 2am as well, and saw your note then...

I'm sure that knocking on a door would have provided amusment for somebody, which is why I said you didn't need to leave the street. icon_rolleyes.gif

We're working on a series of puzzle caches involving pyramids, and the first one is nearly done. It (the first one) will involve this kind of paint by number puzzle, and it shouldn't be nearly so easy as this little practice one. icon_smile.gif

We really like paint by number puzzles; we've never seen triangular ones before we made them. They should be easier than the square ones, but can be more confusing.

Here is the solution to the practice puzzle. The coordinates come from the number of triangles in each cluster; there are a couple of zeros in it, which require some imagination to see.

solved000.jpg

hept-hole.gif

well their post said to wait until I had nothing better to do.

My best friend just got back from Hawaii yesterday, so we spent most of the evening finding out about his trip & watching Catch Me if You Can (good movie). Anyways, he left just before 2:00 and... I had nothing better to do (except sleep, and this was much more exciting than that)... so here we are... Anyways... we don't have the trinket anymore. It's...

you know, its odd. The first time I fused that, I could see three levels that looked more like a sheep being attacked by birds. When I look again, I see what it is supposed to be.

Don't know that I've seen a random dot stereogram that I could fuse two different ways before.

hept-hole.gif

Am I allowed to post in this forum?

Anyway, two things:

First, the "Paint By Numbers" puzzles in Games Magazine are made by Conceptis, who have samples of some of those and some other similar pencil puzzles on their site. I've been planning my own cache with a paint-by-numbers puzzle, but with the coordinates encoded slightly more directly in the puzzle.

Second, every stereogram can be viewed in two ways: wide-eyed and cross-eyed. Most people seem to view them wide-eyed, and I think all of the commercial stereograms out there are designed for wide-eyed viewing, but I've trained myself to be able to view a given stereogram either way. My opinion is that cross-eyed stereograms are cooler, because they appear to protrude from the page rather than to be recessed into it, but they're harder to see for most people.

I do see the "sheep being attacked by birds" interpretation, too; as someone else mentioned, that comes from focusing too deeply and fusing every other repeat instead of two adjacent repeats. How easy it is to do that depends on the size and resolution of your monitor and how far you sit from it. The smaller the repeat interval, the more likely you'll skip one. If you find you're doing that, try reducing the resolution of your screen or sitting closer to the monitor. (Similarly, if you have trouble seeing it at all, try sitting further away or increasing your resolution.)

warm.gif

quote:

Please do. Just tell the bouncer that you're with the band. icon_smile.gif

The practice puzzle needed to be small, which limited the possibilities. The cache's puzzle, however, is not nearly so small. Who can say how it conveys information? Certainly not anybody yet! icon_razz.gif

If you need a non-local test solver for your puzzle, let me know. I eat these things for breakfast.

hept-hole.gif

quote:
Originally posted by kiwimonster:

quote:

Please do. Just tell the bouncer that you're with the band. icon_smile.gif

The practice puzzle needed to be small, which limited the possibilities. The cache's puzzle, however, is not nearly so small. Who can say how it conveys information? Certainly not anybody yet! icon_razz.gif

If you need a non-local test solver for your puzzle, let me know. I eat these things for breakfast.

http://www.kiwimonster.net/hept-hole.gif

Nope not yet... I am at a point where I am kinda stumped for the next spot to paint. Thought I had it a couple times around 1am this morning, but it was not to be. Thankfully I save many copies as I go along so backing out and hour worth of coloring in the paint program is not too bad icon_frown.gif

My mind not only wanders...

Sometimes it leaves completely...

**Namaste**

Well, I've got a pretty good picture going here, but I don't think I'll finish it. Too much work to find the coords of a cache I'll never hunt anyway.

In my opinion - and I'm not trying to start a war here - there's a fine line between a challenging puzzle and a tedious puzzle, and this one's right on the line.

warm.gif

quote:
Well, I've got a pretty good picture going here, but I don't think I'll finish it. Too much work to find the coords of a cache I'll never hunt anyway.

In my opinion - and I'm not trying to start a war here - there's a fine line between a challenging puzzle and a tedious puzzle, and this one's right on the line.

Balance between tedium and challenge is one of the hardest things about puzzle creation. It is learned by practice. I appreciate and welcome feedback because that is how I learn to make better puzzles.

I'm also quite happy that it was found today. Twice. So far. icon_smile.gif

hept-hole.gif

2 things...

1. Warm Fuzzies... your sig line ROX!

2. We have the coordinates, but we're too tired to go find it tonight.

We'll beat you all tomorrow (let us know if you want to join us or something).

It's a cache, it's a cache, it's a cache, cache, cache.

It's a cache, it's a cache, it's a multi-cache.

It's a cache, it's a cache, it's a cache, cache, cache.

CACHE! Cache, Cache, Cache!

Hmmmmm. Let's see...the perils of leaving an IM program open.....someone says hi, and says take a look at this puzzle. What happens next? Can we all say the word of the day, "Obsession". Loved the puzzle KiwiMonster.....finished it this morning. And good thing, now maybe I can get some work done at the office. icon_wink.gif

I did think about printing this out on the plotter. But resisted that urge as much as possible. Now I need glasses. icon_cool.gif

Woohoo! Since I can't get up there anytime soon, think I'll just celebrate with some thai takeout for lunch. icon_biggrin.gif

flir~girl

I can see the t-shirts now...

"I conquered a Kiwimonster puzzle,

and all I got was this lousy spoon!"

Well... we didn't get the spoon. We were inches from it, but Fractal snagged it first. We did get a nice geo-patch though (believe it or not, this is the first one of these we've seen).

Now it's time to catch up on all that sleep that I missed out on over the past 2 nights.

Stoped by to pick up one today and had a heck of a time trying to get the cover back on the container what with the blackberry vines pulling at me from three different directions. Finally figured out how to do it and got out without much more blood loss. Thankyou kiwepuzzledemonsmakemepullmyhairoutgoblindandcrazymonsters. icon_eek.gif Gramma was going blind working on that small sheet.

I think I know what's going on with you guys, all sweet, nice, friendly, warm and happy on the outside but twisted dark and evil on the inside. You live too close to those power lines! Quick, move, get away, save yourselves (and legions of geocahers going crazy trying to solve your demon puzzles).

Ok got that out, I'm ok now I think. Love you guys.

icon_smile.gificon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

I've gone to look for myself, if I should return before I get back, please keep me here.

quote:
kiwepuzzledemonsmakemepullmyhairoutgoblindandcrazymonsters.

Demons? What about someone who races out to be first finder of a cache that hasn't even been approved yet? icon_rolleyes.gif

Here. This is a picture of some of our most treasured items that I keep below my monitor.

icon_wink.gif

hept-hole.gif

quote:
Originally posted by fractal:

2.3 posts... Dang.. I'm getting slower!

Date in August... Uhm... How about... the 23rd?

-fractal

Nooooo.... not the 23rd... we will not be flying in until that evening... Can't miss the game...

My mind not only wanders...

Sometimes it leaves completely...

**Namaste**