Organising an event

TheRosesDLEE

Hello, I've organised a geocaching picnic for a few weeks time and now I'm starting to panic - what exactly do people expect at these events? What are my obligations? Will anyone actually turn up? 

I originally organised it because there was nothing in my area suitable for kids and accessible by public transport. 

Any tips or guidance will be greatly appreciated 

It's always a bit of a gamble as to whether people will show up. Looking at your listing, I see you have two that say they'll be there, but may not picnic. Hopefully more will confirm attendance as you get closer to the date.

Your listing is good, I think. You clearly state the information about food, transportation, etc.

I wish you success!

12 hours ago, TheRosesDLEE said:

Hello, I've organised a geocaching picnic for a few weeks time and now I'm starting to panic - what exactly do people expect at these events? What are my obligations? Will anyone actually turn up? 

I originally organised it because there was nothing in my area suitable for kids and accessible by public transport. 

Any tips or guidance will be greatly appreciated 

No obligations.  People show up to chat with others in this odd hobby, maybe swap trackables, or just for that smiley. :)

You covered what's expected (nothing really, just relax and have fun :-), and gave more-than enough info on options for those wondering what to do afterwards.

The area seems perfect timing as one log suggests.    Most here show last minute, but If only a few show, it's still a success, right? ;)   Good luck.

You have a very nice write-up.  I'd surely like to come if I were anywhere nearby.  I did a picnic a while back where everyone brought their own food, but I did bring a cooler with bottled water for anyone who got  thirsty.  If you can manage that, I think it would be thoughtful.  Of course if you are traveling by bus, that would be difficult, and you are certainly not obligated to do so.

Other than that, I think your only obligations are to greet all your guests, chat with everyone for at least a bit, and thank them for coming.  Have fun!

Thankyou everyone, although there's not many logs yet quite a few people have confirmed on Facebook. 

I was starting to panic I may have overlooked an obligation as an event organiser. 

I'm bringing my geotwins in their trackable tshirts and somebody else is bringing a trackable dog so hopefully those will be icebreakers. 

Thankyou for your help, I really do appreciate it! 

• Upvote 1