Criminal Geocachers

19 minutes ago, hzoi said:

How so?  (I'm IP blocked as well.)

google  "cantonrep 20180726" then from the returned list look for the story, and choose the "cached" option, which leads you to this:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:R_YxooEzl3oJ:www.cantonrep.com/news/20180726/price-park-suspect-is-sex-offender-well-known-geocacher+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

• Upvote 1

There is no vetting of who can play our game.  Players and parents need to be aware of the situation they and their children are in.  But it is sad that this guy would do this.

Interesting on the comment above 'most other CITO events are not kid friendly'.  I have never considered that a CITO anywhere is not kid friendly.  Teaching kids to care for the earth is good.  Supervision is always useful in any situation.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, fuzziebear3 said:

There is no vetting of who can play our game.  Players and parents need to be aware of the situation they and their children are in.  But it is sad that this guy would do this.

Interesting on the comment above 'most other CITO events are not kid friendly'.  I have never considered that a CITO anywhere is not kid friendly.  Teaching kids to care for the earth is good.  Supervision is always useful in any situation.

Yeah...as with any activity that brings strangers together: never assume that just because you have something in common means the other individual is safe and/or trustworthy.

As for the second part, I imagine it's about many CITOs being in areas that may be hazardous due to dumping or terrain that is iffy.  Lots of times creeks and dense woodlands become tire or mattress dumping grounds BECAUSE they are not frequently visited.

On 7/27/2018 at 2:31 PM, Gabeman26 said:

That's sad. Yes I have noticed at the events there are usually kids. I can't believe this guy used geocaching to get closer to these kids, yuck.

Why those maggots have used churches for years.  Makes me sick.  I hate that he used such a great sport to do his dirty. 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Elektrazz said:

Did anyone not question this cache?

In a vacuum of information, there's nothing wrong with that cache name. It could refer to sports/performance cars, speed boats, ATVs... all sorts of toys for adults. It doesn't have to refer to sexual stuff.

EDIT: OK, so the listing makes it clear it's by an sexual toy store. Still, that's not prohibited under the guidelines.

Edited by TriciaG
1 minute ago, TriciaG said:

In a vacuum of information, there's nothing wrong with that cache name. It could refer to sports/performance cars, speed boats, ATVs... all sorts of toys for adults. It doesn't have to refer to sexual stuff.

It is at an adult toy shop.....

45 minutes ago, J Grouchy said:

Yeah...as with any activity that brings strangers together: never assume that just because you have something in common means the other individual is safe and/or trustworthy.

Nicely stated J Grouchy.  I'd also like to add that even people who are well-respected or in a position of authority can turn out to be criminal types.  There have been news stories over the years of priests being arrested for child molestation, police officers arrested for sexual assault, etc.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Elektrazz said:
2 hours ago, TriciaG said:

It is at an adult toy shop.....

Um, you might want to check your facts.  It actually seems to be at Bair's Powersports

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:41 PM, Elektrazz said:

Why those maggots have used churches for years.  Makes me sick.  I hate that he used such a great sport to do his dirty. 

If it wasn't geocaching, he'd have been using some other activity to get his jollies.

In retrospect, some of the titles on his caches seem to be questionable:

'Once upon a Child'

'Bend over and cough'

'Destiny's Child'

'Lets have a sleepover'

:(

• Surprised 1
On 31. 7. 2018 at 9:54 AM, Goldenwattle said:

This is a reason that geocaches should not be allowed to be hidden in or near children's playgrounds.

Sure. Many moms with little children are geocachers. Why should they be able to find geocaches while safely watching their kids playing on the playground, right?

I believe it's criminals who should not be allowed near playgrounds, not caches.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Pontiac_CZ said:

Sure. Many moms with little children are geocachers. Why should they be able to find geocaches while safely watching their kids playing on the playground, right?

I believe it's criminals who should not be allowed near playgrounds, not caches.

31 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Indeed... the problem would be how to identify them. Most of them are not listed in homepages. :(

Yep. 

Until someone decides it's legal to tattoo or chip  registered offenders ,  no one knows.  How many never get caught?

- But is that a "Mom" with those children ?    Sure, the numbers are higher, but it's not only men that do this stuff ...

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 8/13/2018 at 11:00 PM, cerberus1 said:

Yep. 

Until someone decides it's legal to tattoo or chip  registered offenders ,  no one knows.  How many never get caught?

- But is that a "Mom" with those children ?    Sure, the numbers are higher, but it's not only men that do this stuff ...

What's worrying is that some pediphiles might encourage playground caches, as they are in their advantage.

2 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

What's worrying is that some pediphiles might encourage playground caches, as they are in their advantage.

Are you worried that a pediphile might place a cache near a playground, or that one might find a cache by a playground?  Either way I don't see how that's any reason to disallow playground caches.  Why would a pediphile want to hide a cache near a playground?  CO's don't hang around their hides waiting for finders, a pediphile would be hanging around for other reasons without regard to whether a cache is there or not.  Or why would a pediphile care about finding such a cache, their interest in playgrounds again are outside of caching.  So what's the worry?

7 minutes ago, The Jester said:

Are you worried that a pediphile might place a cache near a playground, or that one might find a cache by a playground?  Either way I don't see how that's any reason to disallow playground caches.  Why would a pediphile want to hide a cache near a playground?  CO's don't hang around their hides waiting for finders, a pediphile would be hanging around for other reasons without regard to whether a cache is there or not.  Or why would a pediphile care about finding such a cache, their interest in playgrounds again are outside of caching.  So what's the worry?

Having a cache near a playground, regardless of whose it is, makes a good excuse for a pediphile being there. Some hang around playgrounds. And even the innocent can be accused of or thought of being a pediphile by being at the playground.

Edited by Goldenwattle
Just now, Goldenwattle said:

Having a cache near a playground, regardless of whose it is, makes a good excuse for a pediphile being there. Some hang around playgrounds.

Those how hang around playgrounds do so irregardless of caches.  They don't need a "good excuse".  So I say it's a meaningless argument against those caches.

24 minutes ago, The Jester said:

Those how hang around playgrounds do so irregardless of caches.  They don't need a "good excuse".  So I say it's a meaningless argument against those caches.

Okay then , if you don't mind that there are many geocachers (esp, male) uncomfortable with caches being placed in playgrounds, and negative comments about caches being made during logging, go ahead and place caches there. Always seems a rather naive thing to do; place caches in playgrounds, and it is mostly done by beginners. I have seen many negative comments. The best I read went something like, "There were children and parents in the playground; I didn't care, I walked over, extracted the cache in front of them, signed, put the cache back and walked off. Hate caches in playgrounds."

2 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

The best I read went something like, "There were children and parents in the playground; I didn't care, I walked over, extracted the cache in front of them, signed, put the cache back and walked off. Hate caches in playgrounds."

The CO should reply to this the only way: "Then ignore them!"

43 minutes ago, Pontiac_CZ said:

The CO should reply to this the only way: "Then ignore them!"

With so many caches around in many places I think it's easy to just go after the ones you like. That's what we are doing for a long time. You don't need to "find them all".

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, The Jester said:

No personal experience(!) of this, but surely the cache would give a legitimate (even convincing) reason for being in the area, if challenged.

Maybe this is only enforced locally, but in the UK the reviewers won’t publish caches near kids playgrounds.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

No personal experience(!) of this, but surely the cache would give a legitimate (even convincing) reason for being in the area, if challenged.

Maybe this is only enforced locally, but in the UK the reviewers won’t publish caches near kids playgrounds.

That is what I was saying.

If a cache is a reason for being somewhere a burglar can claim he's geocaching when in a front yard, a psychopathic serial killer wandering the woods is looking for a cache, a peeping Tom is looking for that T5 tree climbing cache (with a view)... and so much more.

I avoid playground caches when possible but have done some (finding info on equipment during multi's) but I don't think I've ever found a cache there.

20 minutes ago, on4bam said:

If a cache is a reason for being somewhere a burglar can claim he's geocaching when in a front yard, a psychopathic serial killer wandering the woods is looking for a cache, a peeping Tom is looking for that T5 tree climbing cache (with a view)... and so much more.

I avoid playground caches when possible but have done some (finding info on equipment during multi's) but I don't think I've ever found a cache there.

To a degree, but it only works as a good excuse if there is actually a cache there.

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Okay then , if you don't mind that there are many geocachers (esp, male) uncomfortable with caches being placed in playgrounds, and negative comments about caches being made during logging, go ahead and place caches there. Always seems a rather naive thing to do; place caches in playgrounds, and it is mostly done by beginners. I have seen many negative comments. The best I read went something like, "There were children and parents in the playground; I didn't care, I walked over, extracted the cache in front of them, signed, put the cache back and walked off. Hate caches in playgrounds."

But that is a whole different case having nothing to do with pediphiles hanging around playgrounds.  There are lots of types of caches that some people object to (for all sorts of reasons), do we get rid of any cache type someone doesn't like?

3 hours ago, The Jester said:

But that is a whole different case having nothing to do with pediphiles hanging around playgrounds.  There are lots of types of caches that some people object to (for all sorts of reasons), do we get rid of any cache type someone doesn't like?

Apparently reviewers in the UK won't publish caches in playgrounds. They get it.

As a single adult male, I would never go to a playground or anywhere children congregate. Only time I do is if I have my granddaughter with me. I have found geocaches in parks before and I always had my granddaughter with me in those places.

There is a cache hidden in a High School campus Smack in the middle of the class buildings. I will never go after that one. A cache is not a good enough reason to be on ANY school grounds.

The law for any pedophiles should read...No pedophile cannot be anywhere children congregate . Schools, Parks, Malls, McDonald's or any children fast food places, and at lease 1,000 ft away from these places.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Sometimes it's not so clear-cut. Next to the beach here is the Peninsula Recreation Precinct, some six hectares (15 acres) incorporating an enclosed playpen for little kids with a pirate ship themed slippery dip and cubby house, swings and a merry-go-round for the slightly bigger kids, a climbing wall, flying fox, spider-web climbing net, BMX track and skateboard rink for the teenagers, a cafeteria and licensed restaurant with outdoor seating for the adults, as well as sporting fields where kids and adults play cricket matches in the summer and soccer tournaments in the winter, exercise machines for the more elderly adults, picnic tables and barbecues in an open grassed area, and through it all a network of bike paths used by both kids and adults. This 63-year-old scruffy-looking single male often rides his bike through the area to grab a coffee or meal at the cafeteria or on the way to the beach, without any hassles.

20180816_111740.jpg.7cea938554630328a07462f52428ca3b.jpg

Aerial.jpg.b560cea567a67db8fae0b5866d5ab7cd.jpg

Throughout the area are something like a dozen wooden posts, each with a lettered metal sign depicting an activity like this one:

20180816_111601.jpg.7f80c87633d442966aa4237f643a61fc.jpg

I've been thinking of placing a multi in this area, using the letters on those posts as virtual waypoints to calculate the coordinates for the cache, which I'd probably place several hundred metres away in the bushland between the sporting fields and the beach dunes, well out of sight of the kids' playground. But would this area still be classed as a playground and deemed inappropriate?

If the letters are clear and easy to spot quickly (so there is no need to search and hang around) and can be seen if necessary standing back a little, and then the cache is hidden some distance away, it doesn't sound a problem to me. It's not the same as a cache hidden on playground equipment, or the bench close by, or the neighbouring tree...close to the children.