How to see current coordinates

On 7/28/2018 at 8:18 AM, clutzyninja said:

I see now.  There's no way to see that unless you already have another cache locked in though.  I assumed there'd be a way to see it without actively navigating towards a cache.  (like for placing a new cache)

Thank you for the info.

This is the screen I use to place a new geocache.  

12 minutes ago, clutzyninja said:

I tried a couple apps but none of them displayed coordinates in the decimal format geocache uses, and I gave up after 3 different ones, lol

They often don't have Geocaching.com style coordinates by default.  "Spyglass", for example, can be changed easily to DDM format, even the free version.

The app I use is called GPS Status.  I'm on the "Pro" version but I seem to recall a free version as well.  It provides probably more information than I need on the opening compass screen but on the secondary screen (a swipe away) it gives latitude and longitude, altitude, heading, orientation, and if you have a target programmed in it gives your the target's lat and long and bearing.  What I find really handy is that you can also set up location POIs and store multiple readings of a potential cache hide to work out averages.

On 8/11/2018 at 11:03 AM, Nunavut Taidy said:

The app I use is called GPS Status.  I'm on the "Pro" version but I seem to recall a free version as well.  It provides probably more information than I need on the opening compass screen but on the secondary screen (a swipe away) it gives latitude and longitude, altitude, heading, orientation, and if you have a target programmed in it gives your the target's lat and long and bearing.  What I find really handy is that you can also set up location POIs and store multiple readings of a potential cache hide to work out averages.

I like GPS status and have the pro version, but it seems to stay on when the other apps using it are closed and really seems to be quite a suck on my battery.

20 minutes ago, J Grouchy said:

This is the one I use for obtaining coordinates: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.destil.gpsaveraging

Just tried it out for the first time. I like it.

It took only a minute or more to get to 50 measurements and it was interesting watching the margin of error of the averaged measurements drop from about 33 feet to 5, but then as it continued to take more measurements, the margin of error starting climbing again. Doggone drift. By the time it was up to 60 measurements, the margin of error was back up to 8 feet.

It's kind of like turning waypoint averaging on my Garmin GPSMap and watching the Confidence percentage go up, but sometimes goes back down. I can sometimes hit 100% confidence in 10 minutes depending on conditions.

10 minutes ago, Team Christiansen said:

Just tried it out for the first time. I like it.

It took only a minute or more to get to 50 measurements and it was interesting watching the margin of error of the averaged measurements drop from about 33 feet to 5, but then as it continued to take more measurements, the margin of error starting climbing again. Doggone drift. By the time it was up to 60 measurements, the margin of error was back up to 8 feet.

It's kind of like turning waypoint averaging on my Garmin GPSMap and watching the Confidence percentage go up, but sometimes goes back down. I can sometimes hit 100% confidence in 10 minutes depending on conditions.

I don't usually go higher than 20.  I'll take 15-20, stop, walk away about 100 feet or so, come back and do it again for another 15-20.  Sometimes I repeat a third or fourth time if the numbers vary enough. 

• Upvote 1
On 8/12/2018 at 6:25 PM, Team Christiansen said:

I like GPS status and have the pro version, but it seems to stay on when the other apps using it are closed and really seems to be quite a suck on my battery.

In GPS Status, is there a way to save, or share, the coordinates?  I couldn't find any--maybe that's a pro version feature?  

Just now, NanCycle said:

In GPS Status, is there a way to save, or share, the coordinates?  I couldn't find any--maybe that's a pro version feature?  

Tap the screen and notice the orange banner appear at the top:

Screenshot_20180830-190503.thumb.png.ba660070e9f617f5133ecf9f649116b5.png

Then notice the two icons on the right. The first one is to share the coordinates to email, text, FB, etc. The second is to copy the coordinates to copy the coord to your clipboard.

Cool feature, but I don't use it. I always use my Garmin to mark the waypoint and then set it to Average waypoint and let it cook for a few minutes.

14 hours ago, Team Christiansen said:

Tap the screen and notice the orange banner appear at the top:

Then notice the two icons on the right. The first one is to share the coordinates to email, text, FB, etc. The second is to copy the coordinates to copy the coord to your clipboard.

Cool feature, but I don't use it. I always use my Garmin to mark the waypoint and then set it to Average waypoint and let it cook for a few minutes.

Tap the screen and the menu appears.  I'm not much of a techie, but I've never seen that trick before.  Thank you for the tip.  For placing caches I use 2 Garmins both set to average and I like to use the phone as an additional device.