Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
miniil

2 miles rule on mystery cache

Hi,

When creating the page of my first mystery cache I notice something that may be a bug.

I'll try to explain it in english but as I speak french it may be not clear.

So if I edit the final coords my cache follow the rule of 2 miles from de virtual coords.

But If I edit the virtual coords the rule is not respected.  In fact it's possible to enter coords more than 2 miles away.

Is it a bug?

If you succeed in creating and saving a Mystery with more than 2 miles between Final and cache page coords, post that GC Code - Geocaching HQ staff can see it and investigate.

1 hour ago, miniil said:

Is it a bug?

it is not a bug. It is just a missing feature. Reviewer will notice this when you try to publish the cache. Some time ago there was no checking for the distance at all.

So no more cross country multicaches then I guess, or are they still allowed, as long as the cache is hidden near the start?

35 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

So no more cross country multicaches then I guess, or are they still allowed, as long as the cache is hidden near the start?

The 2 mile rule is for mystery caches, not multicaches.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

The 2 mile rule is for mystery caches, not multicaches.

And only for the final, not for any intermediate stage.

On 7/25/2018 at 9:00 AM, Goldenwattle said:

Multi caches can have  published coordinates more than 2 miles from the final location.  The two mile proximity limit between the published coordinates and the final location is for puzzle caches.  Two different cache types, two different guidelines.