Magellan GC cache download problem

Suddenly I can no longer down load cache info to my Magellan GC. The "Download " button doesn't work. I use OS 7 on my PC.  It worked a month ago.  I did try a second computer with the same OS 7 to no avail. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly welcome. Thanks, Mark

Edited by newfane1

What "Download" button are you referring to?

Are you referring to single cache pages or pocket query results?

If you're trying to use the "Send to GPS" button, then you can search for   send to gps communicator    in the forums for many discussions about the problems with that functionality.

33 minutes ago, noncentric said:

I'm guessing "Operating System" - as in, Windows 7, since it's a PC.

But it's weird for someone to refer to Windows 7 as OS 7. 

At this point my go-to assumption is that anyone who can't figure out on their own that the communicator plugins are done is probably not terribly tech-savvy beyond the general consumer level. For those people, OS 7 is either Mac OS X 7 (which would not be a PC, but maybe people are using the term PC to just mean 'computer.'), iOS 7, in which case they are definitely not using a PC at all. I guess it could mean Windows 7. Or maybe CentOS 7 (highly unlikely). 

Most of the time, I'm able to decipher what people mean when they use or misuse terminology.

Hiya you are very gps savvy, we have just bought a new Garmin etrex 10 only started using it yesterday we are oldies but love caching. Before we had a Magellan which my husband loved but it won’t download caches anymore, says plug in found but send to gps not working. Should we just ditch that one now. Many thanks Pam 

• Upvote 1

The plugins are no longer supported, regardless of what GPS brand you use. I keep  suggesting that Groundspeak remove the feature completely from the website because it's either causing people a lot of strife trying to use it, or people are keeping their machines vulnerable to attack by continuing to use old operating systems and old browsers just so they can use the communicator plugins.

I recognize that there is a convoluted way to get the plugin to work with Firefox, but aside from that, it's just not worth it. The GPX download works well enough if you need to quickly add a single cache or two. Otherwise, pocket queries are your best friend and have been this whole time.

• Helpful 1

"The plugins are no longer supported, regardless of what GPS brand you use. I keep suggesting that Groundspeak remove the feature completely from the website"

I wouldn't want it removed, since some people can still use it (I was using it on Vista with old Firefox, which is not what people should be doing of course).

The popup that comes up on clicking the button should say in bold that "Plugins are no longer supported by most/all GPS brands" or something like that.

Then they should say "We encourage you to use GPX or Pocket Queries" and have a URL to a pinned post that describes how to use those and get them to various devices.

Yes, I know the information exists already but it's not easy to find because I've been reading posts for over an hour now.

And then there's the problem of people who are basic members (I'm not sure what they can or can't do).

You say pocket queries are your best friend and have been, and I've always used them to get lists of caches with different attributes, but learning how to get caches you want onto your device is a very unfriendly user experience.

40 minutes ago, RadishSpirit said:

learning how to get caches you want onto your device is a very unfriendly user experience.

It's really not. Your GPS mounts to your computer just like a USB thumb drive does. You simply drag and drop files as you would to save them to any other peripheral storage device. Garmin makes it pretty simple. There's a folder called "GPX." Guess what goes in there.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 7/26/2018 at 1:15 AM, baggins52 said:

Hiya you are very gps savvy, we have just bought a new Garmin etrex 10 only started using it yesterday we are oldies but love caching. Before we had a Magellan which my husband loved but it won’t download caches anymore, says plug in found but send to gps not working. Should we just ditch that one now. Many thanks Pam 

Should you ditch what?  If you can return the eTrex 10 and get a 20 instead, then that would be good.  The 10 is more limited in mapping options and storage capacity than others in the eTrex family.

Regarding "send to gps" -- The problem is not with the eTrex or Magellan. It's a browser issue, not a GPSr issue.  No matter what GPS you use, the plug-in won't work because it's incompatible with modern web browsers.  Some people are able to use the plug-in's by running outdated and insecure browsers, which is not advisable.

• Basic and Premium members can download individual caches by using the "GPX File" button on the cache page, the button just to the left of the "Send to GPS" button, and saving the resulting .gpx files to their device (unless their device is a Garmin 60csx).
  • Premium members can also use Pocket Queries (PQs).
  • Premium members with Garmin devices can send Bookmark Lists of caches to their devices by using Garmin Express.

6 hours ago, RadishSpirit said:

The popup that comes up on clicking the button should say in bold that "Plugins are no longer supported by most/all GPS brands" or something like that.

I think Mineral2 already mentioned it, but the problem is not with the GPS devices.  As far as the GPS devices are concerned, the plus-in's are just fine - it's the web browsers that don't play nice with the plug-in's.  Saying "Plugins are no longer supported by most/all GPS brands" would be an incorrect statement.

Edited by noncentric