Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
sernikk

Buying TB in bulk

Recommended Posts

Hello,

that is my first topic at the english community here. I have a question about buying codes in bulk from Groundspeak.

I couldn't find any information anywhere about this, or any topic related to my problem.

 

I wan't to buy some codes. For example let's say 50 codes in bulk so 1,50$ per each.

On the order website I have to put informations like "Name for your trackable series", "Prefix" and so on..

And there is something like "Trackable designs"... So.. I can't get why this exists but I'm not here to say what should be done or not.. I only want to know what can I do, if I don't have any design?

Because I want to use one trackable code on a car like a sticker, a second maybe on a T-Shirt or any other TB on any other item.. So why am I obligated to submit any designs? I don't know what I'm going to do with these codes yet but I have many ideas and I don't want to write them all down now.. I know that this is kind of a verification process so users won't use any mature content, but the same way I could upload any fake-photo and in reality do something else, so whats the point of this?

How can I just buy codes for any legal and normal use without having any real idea yet?

Thank you for every answer

Greetings

Edited by sernikk
Mistake

Share this post


Link to post

Trackables can be Travel Bugs and geocoins, among other.

If you want to create a geocoin, naturally you will need a design and you might want a prefix for the tracking code.

For the other trackables, mainly Travel Bugs, you will ignore those questions.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Trackables can be Travel Bugs and geocoins, among other.

If you want to create a geocoin, naturally you will need a design and you might want a prefix for the tracking code.

For the other trackables, mainly Travel Bugs, you will ignore those questions.

 

Thanks for such a quick answer.

But regarding to what you've said there is still a problem, because I can't go further in the procedure because of this information appearing: "One to two design attachments are required.

I attach a screenshot of this.

TB.png

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, sernikk said:

 

Thanks for such a quick answer.

But regarding to what you've said there is still a problem, because I can't go further in the procedure because of this information appearing: "One to two design attachments are required."

 

Try this instead... "To make one item trackable, browse Travel Bug trackable sets on Shop Geocaching or one of our official retailers."

 

 

Edited by RuideAlmeida

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

 

Try this instead... " Geocaching HQ does not design or manufacture custom game pieces. We only approve trackable designs and generate codes. Please contact a manufacturer to order physical game pieces. To make one item trackable, browse Travel Bug trackable sets on Shop Geocaching or one of our official retailers. "

 

You're quoting FAQ. I have read it.

Design is mandatory in the procedure but regarding to what you said:

"For the other trackables, mainly Travel Bugs, you will ignore those questions."

23 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Trackables can be Travel Bugs and geocoins, among other.

If you want to create a geocoin, naturally you will need a design and you might want a prefix for the tracking code.

For the other trackables, mainly Travel Bugs, you will ignore those questions.

 

So.. I can not ignore that.. It's mandatory to attach a design which I don't have because as I said I have many ideas for using this travelbug codes.

 

Edit: But it's much cheaper to buy them in bulk..

 

Edited by sernikk

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, sernikk said:

So.. I can not ignore that.. It's mandatory to attach a design which I don't have because as I said I have many ideas for using this travelbug codes.

 

 

Sorry... I was just saying that your best solution will be to just buy some Travel Bugs and use the codes as you wishes.

Buying bulk codes will apply to geocoins that you may also want to create... but those will have many costs apart from those related to the codes simply, and you will need the design to be approved prior.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

 

Sorry... I was just saying that your best solution will be to just buy some Travel Bugs and use the codes as you wishes.

Buying bulk codes will apply to geocoins that you may also want to create... but those will have many costs apart from those related to the codes simply, and you will need the design to be approved prior.

 

Ok, I understand your point but it's much cheaper to buy them in bulk ^_^, and I don't understand why Groundspeak forces me to attach a design. It won't prevent from nothing, because as you said I can use codes from any other bought TravelBug Tag or others. So that Is my question, what do I have to attach, or how can I go through it without having designs ready for various versions of travelbugs.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Groundspeak does not sell trackable codes in bulk for the type of use you are asking about.  The bulk purchase of codes is only for coins.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, sernikk said:

 

... but it's much cheaper to buy them in bulk...

 

Surely someone more able than I am will may answer soon...

... but you are mixing two very different things.

 

If you want to attach some Travel Bugs to anything you desire, is up to you, and you should buy some.

If you want to create a geocoin, the design needs to be approved by Geocaching HQ and you may buy some bulk codes and also a personalized icon and prefix.

Then you may decide the materials, metal or other, so you may need to pay for molds, samples and production... adding to the final cost, of course.

 

But, if someone decides to use some bulk codes for other purposes, Geocaching HQ may remove them.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Oh.. So if I want to just have codes for use like T-Shirts and so on I can't buy them in bulk and should buy codes from official distributors?

 

So I can't just buy codes for my own use.. That's sad..

Edited by sernikk
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, sernikk said:

So I can't just buy codes for my own use.. That's sad..

 

Sure you can... just buy some Travel Bugs and use those codes, like everybody else.

Or create a geocoin an follow the guidelines.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, sernikk said:

Oh.. So if I want to just have a code for use like T-Shirts and so on I can't buy them in bulk and should buy codes from official distributors?

 

So I can't just buy codes for my own use.. That's sad..

 

The trackable codes belong to the site.  

Most we know who want to attach a code to something, look for a Travel Bug tag (usually the cheapest option), and simply use it's code (never sending it out for travel).  Sales on geocaching supply sites may have sales too.   :)

We have a bunch of trackables that went "lost/missing".  If we wanted, we could repurpose those codes, just like you'd need to do buying new.

The codes in bulk you're asking about are used for the production of coins and some custom tags.  The costs after manufacturing amount to considerably more than the Site's code bulk rate, that simply make a custom geocoin trackable. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

 

The trackable codes belong to the site.  

Most we know who want to attach a code to something, look for a Travel Bug tag (usually the cheapest option), and simply use it's code (never sending it out for travel).  Sales on geocaching supply sites may have sales too.   :)

We have a bunch of trackables that went "lost/missing".  If we wanted, we could repurpose those codes, just like you'd need to do buying new.

The codes in bulk you're asking about are used for the production of coins and some custom tags.  The costs after manufacturing amount to considerably more than the Site's code bulk rate, that simply make a custom geocoin trackable. 

 

 

I think your answer was very helpful for my understanding of the whole process.

So in theory like RuideAlmeida said I can create my own travelbug project, attach as design, buy the 50 codes I want, and use maybe 2 or 3 of them just for other things like a T-Shirt or something.

But I don't think I will ever do this, still thanks for the answers, it's good to know more ^_^

Of course if someone has something more to add to the topic, be my guest!

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, sernikk said:

So in theory like RuideAlmeida said I can create my own travelbug project, attach as design, buy the 50 codes I want, and use maybe 2 or 3 of them just for other things like a T-Shirt or something.

 

Wrong!

You can create a geocoin project and if you won't use all the codes, Geocaching HQ may modify the remaining to apply to any other project of yours.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, RuideAlmeida said:

 

Wrong!

You can create a geocoin project and if you won't use all the codes, Geocaching HQ may modify the remaining to apply to any other project of yours.

 

Okay.. I'm only surprised that I can take a code from a TravelBug Dog Tag and just use it for my own purpose like everybody else (tattoo or something), but I can't do the same thing while buying in bulk, and there is this process youre talking about - applying to other projects. 

That's weird for me.. But I guess I'm the only alien here :D

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2

×
×
  • Create New...