Trackable Not Recognised

strawy

I found a Trackable,there were none listed in the inventory so i was surprised to find one inside the cache,its a tag with a wristband attached.
Ive entered the code but this site does not recognise it,the tag looks brand new so i wondered if it was a new one that hadnt been registered ??

I was the next person to find the cache after the cacher who placed the Trackable,their log clearly stated that a TB had been placed.

Ive tried to contact this cacher but they aint replying(3 weeks but they log in regularly).

So,what do i do with it?

Should i try registering it as a new one of my own ??
Hope this makes some sense..

Edited by strawy

I say if you've waited three weeks already, go ahead and try activating it. If it works, it's yours.

I have left lots of unactivated trackables in caches, but they are always in the original packaging to help identify them as new. With a wristband on the one you found, I would not think it's new. But 3 weeks is long enough to wait. If they put it in a cache and meant to activate it, too late now!

10 hours ago, strawy said:

I found a Trackable,there were none listed in the inventory so i was surprised to find one inside the cache,its a tag with a wristband attached.
Ive entered the code but this site does not recognise it,the tag looks brand new so i wondered if it was a new one that hadnt been registered ??

I was the next person to find the cache after the cacher who placed the Trackable,their log clearly stated that a TB had been placed.

Ive tried to contact this cacher but they aint replying(3 weeks but they log in regularly).

So,what do i do with it?

Should i try registering it as a new one of my own ??

We find more trackables not in inventory, than those in their correct spot.  Many logs aren't correct.  :)

Sure your code is correct?  0 (zero) instead of O (oh), I (eye) instead of l (ell), that sorta thing?

Over 3,000 trackables logged by the cacher who may have placed that trackable you found.

- Possible I guess, but it seems just by number they'd log it correctly.

Ten favorite points, also possible that it's intentionally left unactivated as swag for the next finder (I do that), but we write it on the bag housing the trackable and on the cache page. 

I'd give it another week, and if no word, I'd either attempt to activate myself, or forgetaboutit and place it in the next cache I find.

The mystery continues...

I tried to register it as new,it had already been registered, so i thought i,d search for it again..

Bingo...this time it worked & i got to its home page..

Now then, its listed as being in a now closed cache event that took place 15Jun-17Jun and yet the cachers must have placed it in the cache i found(according to their log) on 7thJun.

How can that be ??

I found it on 9thJuly.

Any suggestions on what i,m to do with it ??

EDIT

I think i can retrieve it from the closed cache,would that be the right thing to do ??

Edited by strawy
Added text
17 minutes ago, strawy said:

I think i can retrieve it from the closed cache,would that be the right thing to do ??

So the mystery is resolved.  Yes, go ahead and retrieve it from the event, then visit (take it to) the cache you found it in--you can do that by editing your found log for the cache.

How can that be, you ask.  They just didn't log it out of the event, therefore couldn't log their drop into the cache.  Maybe they don't know how to log trackeables

12 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

How can that be, you ask.  They just didn't log it out of the event, therefore couldn't log their drop into the cache.  Maybe they don't know how to log trackeables

There are 4 other trackables in the closed cache, 3 placed by the same cacher as the one i found.

Will they all have the same carry on next time some-one finds them ??

I'd Grab it if I didn't "retrieve" it from  the closed event.  It was found elsewhere.

Drop it into the cache you found it in with a write note (and say you found it there, but listed in an event instead).

Retrieve it from the cache you found it in. 

- Or...

Grab it.

Visit the trackable to the cache you found it in with a write note (and say you found it there, but listed elsewhere). 

This isn't gonna be the only trackable found that's been incorrectly logged.  Some maybe three people before you find it. 

3 minutes ago, strawy said:

There are 4 other trackables in the closed cache, 3 placed by the same cacher as the one i found.

Will they all have the same carry on next time some-one finds them ??

Maybe not.  If someone familiar with the incorrect logging these days finds them.  Most we find are like that lately.   :)

8 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I'd Grab it if I didn't "retrieve" it from  the closed event.  It was found elsewhere.

I,m afraid i retrieved it,oh well least its back in circulation,first time ive come across this problem.

Can i dip it in caches ive found since,i did have it in my backpack after all.

Thanks to all who replied..

Mystery solved.

10 minutes ago, strawy said:

Can i dip it in caches ive found since,i did have it in my backpack after all.

If you've already dipped it into the cache you actually got it from, then I wouldn't. It would mess up the order of its travel.

If you haven't dipped it in the cache you found it in, then you could if you like. Edit each log on each cache in the correct order, and add the visit.

26 minutes ago, TriciaG said:

If you've already dipped it into the cache you actually got it from, then I wouldn't. It would mess up the order of its travel.

I have dipped it in the cache i found it in,guess ive done the wrong thing but it wasnt my fault initially,wish i hadnt found the dadgum thing :rolleyes:

If i dip it in the correct order(ive found 12 caches since i got it) surely it wont mess up its travel order & mileage ??

EDIT

Found this in the closed cache event logs,maybe cachers should just log TB,s as a visit to event meet ups ?

Announcement Announcement
7/2/2018

There are still 7 TB’s showing at the event. Please can you all ensure you ‘retrieve’ any TB’s you took.
Thanks,
Bev

Edited by strawy
  • Upvote 1