Would like a good hi res topo for New England

RevStabard

Hi All!

I'm new here, and to geocaching.  I've looked a few things up regarding finding a better topo map than was included in my Garmin 64st.  Seems like the higher resolution map you can buy (Garmin) is old and it sure is expensive if you look it up on Amazon.  I watched a video where someone got one from another site and super-imposed it over a Google map product but it made no sense to me.  I don't mind paying for a good map.  I just want a good topo map for New Hampshire.  I have difficulty walking but had about 6 months on the AT at one point in my life with nothing but paper topo maps.  So, I think it would be helpful for me.  I want to push myself a bit but I need to see trails and elevation at a better resolution than what came with my GPS.  Any ideas would be appreciated!  Thanks :)

Does it have to be on the Garmin?  (I don't often see "Garmin" and "high resolution" in the same sentence.)

This is OpenStreetmap on a phone, with contours and slope shading.  (Locus Map on Android; it's a caching app too.)  Sorry, I don't have New Hampshire samples handy, but OSM has become pretty high quality of late.  Excellent for trail detail in most places, and some versions of it like this one (OpenAndroMaps) add topo contours.  It's all available for your area, free.  (OAM appreciates donations.)

e579b4ea-8c9f-42a4-b3a1-d10150991dd2_l.j

For Garmin, check out http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/.

Thank you for the suggestion.  I'll check out the openstreetmap site and see what I can find.  I'd prefer not to use my phone as my 9 year old tends to be a bit tough on them :)  I can always get the Garmin higher resolution topo but it's a bit dated.  I know the source of a lot of their data hasn't been updated in a while and that's where openstreemaps might help.  I'll poke around and thanks again!

14 hours ago, RevStabard said:

Hi All!

I'm new here, and to geocaching.  I've looked a few things up regarding finding a better topo map than was included in my Garmin 64st.  Seems like the higher resolution map you can buy (Garmin) is old and it sure is expensive if you look it up on Amazon.  I watched a video where someone got one from another site and super-imposed it over a Google map product but it made no sense to me.  I don't mind paying for a good map.  I just want a good topo map for New Hampshire.  I have difficulty walking but had about 6 months on the AT at one point in my life with nothing but paper topo maps.  So, I think it would be helpful for me.  I want to push myself a bit but I need to see trails and elevation at a better resolution than what came with my GPS.  Any ideas would be appreciated!  Thanks :)

Have you tried GPSFileDepot.com?