New Mystery Cache

Harry Dolphin

I tried to create a new mystery cache to replace one that was no longer solvable, and was muggled.  I spent quite a bit of time entering coordinates and information.  Hit the "Continue' button, and nothing happened!  Definitely a different set of screens since the last time I hid a mystery cache.  I'm sure all that info was lost.  I have no idea how to continue.  Oh, well.  That was a lot of fun!

9 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I did not like it one bit when the new create geocache pages were introduced! I always run into problems with the visibility button. I just click it, hit continue, then edit it later.

If something is wrong, it should tell me what is wrong.  Instead of refusing to  continue.  Very bad programming!

• Upvote 1

@Harry Dolphin 

The coords page for Mystery caches is poorly explained. (I was involved in testing it back when, and like the dev who wrote it, understood the flow - only after it went live did it become apparent that it's way less than intuitive. There should be a pop up or something to clarify.

First, as requested, give it the Final coords  -  by default, given that at that moment, there's only one set of coords, it's going to be visible.  The tendency is to want to finish up that stage before doing anything else, but that won't work. 

So,  above the Final Coords click + Add a Stage.  This would be your "bogus" coords, most likely.  Visible, virtual.

Once you've done that, you can hide the Final, and continue.   

Sprite #13.jpg

Edited by Isonzo Karst
2 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

First, as requested, give it the Final coords  -  by default, given that at that moment, there's only one set of coords, it's going to be visible.  The tendency is to want to finish up that stage before doing anything else, but that won't work. 

This leads to mystery caches with visible final coordinates. You may have seen some of them recently.

9 hours ago, arisoft said:

This leads to mystery caches with visible final coordinates. You may have seen some of them recently.

Interesting. I did find a Multi a week ago that had visible final coordinates in the listing. I originally thought it was intentional (but still odd), but now I wonder if it was due to confusion with the submission form. The first time I tried to submit a Mystery with the new form, I was thoroughly confused for a while, and I'm pretty experienced with this site. It's understandable that a new cacher would struggle mightily and could easily make a mistake.