Absent Leaders and Unresponsive Officers

wayfrog
Followers 7

OK - enough of the stuff I'd been reading on the previous page.

If you still have WMs waiting for an extended period, post them below.

I just had success by volunteering with the Grain Elevators category - mebbe I can help with a couple of others!!

BTW, I know of others who are also willing to volunteer to join nearly dead categories:

Keith

On 4/11/2021 at 11:36 AM, RakeInTheCache said:

BTW it looks like Wayfrog approved a bunch of my waymarks in the Skyscraper category.  I did sent an e-mail to members of the group volunteering to be an officer but received no reply.  Maybe I will send an e-mail to wayfrog to make me an officer.

I thought Wayfrog had called a vote in the Skyscraper category many days ago to promote me to officer but no news back.  In additional I have a waymark sitting in the Carousels category.  Another distressed category...

Edited by RakeInTheCache

Carnivorous Plant Localities is seemlingly now in an abandonned state as wayfrog has been approving the more recent submissions.  I have requested wayfrog to bump me up to an officier so we can get some vote action going to bring new life to the officer group.  Do let me know if you are interested in becoming an officer in this category.

24 minutes ago, RakeInTheCache said:

Carnivorous Plant Localities

"Groundspeak Admin reviewed" the most recent waymarks. 12 reviews  from 6/22/2017 to 6/22/2021.

Last officer review was 5/19/2017.

I will note reading the declines the officer is knowledgeable. 

Edited by T0SHEA
41 minutes ago, gpsblake said:

I still think the best way around this problem is after 7 days of no action, the waymark gets published automatically, with the group officers able to unpublish it if it's discovered it doesn't meet the category. 

Sounds like a plan, however if there are not any active officers, who is going to discover it?

9 hours ago, gpsblake said:

I still think the best way around this problem is after 7 days of no action, the waymark gets published automatically, with the group officers able to unpublish it if it's discovered it doesn't meet the category. 

Well, it doesn't seem like a good plan to me. Posted WM should not be canceled.

• Upvote 1

I think that's a terrible idea. 😯

• Helpful 1

Officers were introduced to provide a quality gate. If the publish is on automatic you will get a lot of spam and incorrect waymarks soon in the "abandoned" categories.

Better to check, which categories don't have an active reviewer crew now (that would be when wayfrog is approving the waymarks) and remind them to do their job or replace them then.

Perhaps we should also consider something like an automatic inactive flag on officers that were not online for three month and an automatic demote for officers not being online for six month in order to keep the overhead small.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 3
3 hours ago, FamilieFrohne said:

(that would be when wayfrog is approving the waymarks)

Let me start again. :o

March to September 2021 (7 cycles)

wayfrog approved approximately 160 different categories.

Out of the 7 cycles

1 appeared 6 out of the 7 cycles

2 appeared 5 times

8 appeared 4 times

17 appeared 3 times

This is an ongoing problem that is discussed many times on the forums, without any "real" solutions.

1. Enrollment is off 

2. Reluctance to install new officers

3. Inactive leaders unwilling to resign and select a new leader.

4. Unfortunately several waymarkers have died and are still officers (some of which are in inactive categories)

5, Some leaders/officers are either unable or are no longer involved with Waymarking which brings us back to no. 3

Edited by T0SHEA
35 minutes ago, T0SHEA said:

4. Unfortunately several waymarkers have died and are still officers (some of which are in inactive categories)

5, Some leaders/officers are either unable or are no longer involved with Waymarking which brings us back to no. 3

Thats why I suggested the automatic demote after six month of inactivity. But the process to elect a new leader as soon there are no more active officers left in the category is a bit unclear at this moment - that would be something to think about.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, FamilieFrohne said:

Thats why I suggested the automatic demote after six month of inactivity. But the process to elect a new leader as soon there are no more active officers left in the category is a bit unclear at this moment - that would be something to think about.

Inactivity is not always real inactivity. I am aware of a few niche categories, where all officers are totally "inactive" and not interested in Waymarking at all, but are really into the topic of the category. They never log in, but when a new waymark is submitted, it is evaluated within minutes.

1 hour ago, T0SHEA said:

Interesting. They most likely are not on my lists of categories that wayfrog approves. 

Certainly not, but global officer inactivity measurements would catch them, unfortunately.

On the other hand, I noticed more than once that wayfrogs clean-up actions occasionely also involve categories that would not need them. So, this list is neither a perfect benchmark.

Edited by fi67
Typo
3 hours ago, fi67 said:

Inactivity is not always real inactivity. I am aware of a few niche categories, where all officers are totally "inactive" and not interested in Waymarking at all, but are really into the topic of the category. They never log in, but when a new waymark is submitted, it is evaluated within minutes.

That would make an automatic decision a little bit (more) difficult. An additional indicator could be unreviewed waymarks in the queue that linger there for a longer time ... So this would also be another topic to think about ...

9 hours ago, T0SHEA said:

This is an ongoing problem that is discussed many times on the forums, without any "real" solutions.

1. Enrollment is off 

2. Reluctance to install new officers

I was just going to mention the problem of Ancient Aqueducts. All the above is true except there is one active officer who is approving all the waymarks.  This is a disaster waiting to happen as there is no failsafe to keep this category from falling into complete neglect.  I sent an e-mail to the inactive leader to request that Enrollment be turned on.  Of course, after lots of experience, I have absolutely no hope that the leader will remotely consider my plea. I would like to ask wayfrog to look at this and consider working to force enrollment to be on.  Fortunately, there is hope to rescue dying categories, but most often not without the intervention of wayfrog.

Edited by RakeInTheCache
8 minutes ago, razalas said:

There should be no intervention in a category unless it's abandoned and not working, this is a line that should not be crossed.

I understand what you are saying, and mostly agree. But a category should never be a one-man show, in my opinion.  I am not referring to any specific category.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
6 hours ago, fi67 said:

wayfrogs clean-up actions occasionely also involve categories that would not need them

If you noticed, I did not include the categories that appeared once or twice.

This was intentional, as there are occasional hiccups along the way and took this under consideration.

Edited by T0SHEA
21 hours ago, razalas said:

The Ancient Aqueducts category it's working without any problems and not abandoned. There should be no intervention in a category unless it's abandoned and not working, this is a line that should not be crossed.

I would have to respectfully disagree.  According to Waymarking rules, categories must have at least 3 officers.   I think counting inactive officers in that minimum may be respecting the letter of the rule but is really going against the spirit of the hobby and the way it was intended to work.

Edited by RakeInTheCache
  • Upvote 1