Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
wayfrog

Absent Leaders and Unresponsive Officers

Just to let everyone know - I have been slower than normal approving my categories since the first part of January.  My mother was involved in a pretty significant car accident that caused some very serious injuries.  She was just released from the hospital last week so I should be able to start to get back into the rhythm of getting things approved in a more timely manner.  Thanks for everyone's patience while I had to let real life interfere with my passion!

Wayfrog, will you turn enrollment on in the Art Vehicles and Non-Coastal Boardwalks categories?

We joined the Death Mask Gravestones and the Television and Cable Broadcasting Stations categories.

These look as though they need help/new management. 

if you need officers or leader for some categories that are not working anymore right now, I'm available

10 hours ago, pmaupin said:

if you need officers or leader for some categories that are not working anymore right now, I'm available

I think you'll be hearing from us in the near future, Philippe - thanks for volunteering!!

Keith

16 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

I think you'll be hearing from us in the near future, Philippe - thanks for volunteering!! 

It is always with pleasure, I am ready to help the community 😊

Philippe

I've had a waymark languishing in limbo, waiting on a vote, in Engineering Landmarks for well over a month now.

36 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

I've had a waymark languishing in limbo, waiting on a vote, in Engineering Landmarks for well over a month now.

One of the officers needs to release it by just clicking on it. I would suggest you contact the leader/officers and remind them that it needs to be released. This is the only way that I know to rectify this situation. This has also happened us on several occasions and after contacting the officers it was released. 

Posted (edited)

Greetings Wayfrog, 

The matter I emailed you about has not been resolved as of yet. Is it still pending review?

I do not want to discuss it on the forum as it just draws more attention to it: which I want to avoid.

Regards, Barb of BK-Hunters

Edited by BK-Hunters

On 4/2/2019 at 3:52 PM, BK-Hunters said:

Greetings Wayfrog, 

The matter I emailed you about has not been resolved as of yet. Is it still pending review?

I do not want to discuss it on the forum as it just draws more attention to it: which I want to avoid.

Regards, Barb of BK-Hunters

Give us some more days, it's still in progress. :omnomnom:

Just now, BK-Hunters said:

Hi Wayfrog, it looks like it is about time for you to work your magic.  We have some pending waymarks that are almost a month old.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Wayfrog -- and if you could look at Engineering Landmarks category. My Skydance Bridge Waymark Code: WMZX7V has been awaiting group vote for well over a month. And the 3 officers that run the group all logged in between Apr 7 and 9.

Edited by vulture1957

On 4/11/2019 at 11:23 AM, vulture1957 said:

My Skydance Bridge Waymark Code: WMZX7V has been awaiting group vote for well over a month.

Any results yet?

Wayfrog, re: the matter I emailed you about

Can you promote us to officer? If so, I can put a vote to demote. 

Thanks, Barb of BK-Hunters

1 hour ago, BK-Hunters said:

Any results yet?

no. I wrote to all 3 officers last week. They have ALL been on the site, and still pending vote.

43 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

no. I wrote to all 3 officers last week. They have ALL been on the site, and still pending vote.

Well this is perplexing. I assume you did not get a response from any of the officers/leader. 

I do recall this happening to us, and one of the officers responded with "There are no pending votes".

Do not recall how this was rectified. The only thing that you could do is try to edit the waymark. Normally, as you know, you can not edit while it is in vote.  However if the vote is not pending, as was our case, you maybe able to release it by an edit. Other than that I am clueless. :huh: 

8 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

Well this is perplexing. I assume you did not get a response from any of the officers/leader. 

I do recall this happening to us, and one of the officers responded with "There are no pending votes".

Do not recall how this was rectified. The only thing that you could do is try to edit the waymark. Normally, as you know, you can not edit while it is in vote.  However if the vote is not pending, as was our case, you maybe able to release it by an edit. Other than that I am clueless. :huh: 

Can't edit. Main 3 officers are: silverquill, QuesterMark and NorStar. NorStar was on yesterday. No reply from any of them.

5 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Have you tried contacting them via their profile on geocaching.com?

OK, I tried sending a note to each from Geocaching.com. I thought that was the same system that Waymarking uses.

Posted (edited)

Wayfrog, Thank you for approving waymarks in these categories. 

When I first started checking "Newest Waymarks", I never expected to find 63 categories.  You also approved waymarks as Lumbricus that are not on this list.

To tell the truth, I was overwhelmed by how many categories you approved waymarks in just today. 

I often wonder why this is never resolved.  

(This list may not be 100% accurate, it is reasonably correct.) The asterisk (*) represents categories that were also on the 2017 list.

Abraham Lincoln
Bailey Bridges
Baroque Architecture
*Blacksmith Shops
Burger Chef (Former Locations)
Burger Shops - Regional Chains
*Campgrounds
*Candy Stores
*Chinese Restaurants
Civilian Conservation Corps
Coats of Arms
Cobblestone Buildings
*Coffee Shops - Regional Chains
Coin-Op Binoculars
Compass Roses
Covered Wagons
Dinosaur Statues
Dockside Restaurants
European Historic Survey Stones, Monuments and Benchmarks
*Fraternity Houses 
Free For Your Birthday
Geographic High Points
Giant Board Games
Googie Architecture
*Grain Elevators
Historic United Methodist Sites
Indoor Malls
Kentucky Fried Chicken/KFC Restaurants
Love Padlocks
Lutheran Churches
Made for the Millennium
*Massachusetts Historical Markers
Medal Of Honor Resting Places
Milk Platforms - Maitolaiturit
Missouri Historical Markers
Mountain Bike Trailheads
Movie Locations
New Jersey Historical Markers
Non-Specific Veteran Memorials
Outdoor Recreation Stores
Outside Wooden Display Carvings
Peanuts Characters
*Permanent Charity Donation Locations
Pictographs
Pony Express Monuments
*Public Swimming Pools
Rails to Trails
Relief Art Sculptures
Roman Catholic Churches
School Mascots
Scouting Headquarters
Seventh-day Adventist Churches
Skyscrapers
Sphinx Sculptures

Stained Glass Windows
Time and Temperature Signs
Unintentionally Funny Signs
Vintage Gas Stations
Water Dams
Waymark Tours (WayTours)
*Wesleyan Churches
World War II Memorials / Monuments
WPA Projects

These following Categories though not on the current list they have also been on the 2017 list and a previous 2019 list.

Art Vehicles
McDonald's Restaurants
Non-Coastal Boardwalks
Outdoor Stations of the Cross
Television and Cable Broadcasting Stations
Tim Horton's Restaurants
Vermont Historical Markers

Edited by BK-Hunters

Posted (edited)
On 4/15/2019 at 7:57 AM, BK-Hunters said:

Wayfrog, re: the matter I emailed you about

Wayfrog, I found another one with the exact same comments in a different category.  Coincidentally it is the same inactive leader in both categories.

Do you have the ability to promote us to officer as I previously requested?

Edited by BK-Hunters

Thanks again wayfrog for your reviewing.

22 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

OK, I tried sending a note to each from Geocaching.com. I thought that was the same system that Waymarking uses.

I guess that is what was needed. It finally got approved.

Funny thing is, it had a note about what was said in the voting. The original reviewer sent it to vote because "he wasn't sure if getting an award made it a landmark."  And what does it say in the category rules? "It must have received an award from these certain entities." Good reviewing when the reviewers can't even read and understand the category write-up.  <smh>

Wayfrog, what is the process of replacing a leader?

If a leader is voted to demote 100% is required, who will be promoted to leader? Is it from the officer pool only? Or can a new leader be promote from the non-officer pool?  Is a vote from just the officers, if all agree will this demote the leader, or does the leader have a vote?

I am not sure about the new leader, I think it is one of the existing officers, maybe the one who started the demote or just the next in the hierarchy (each one has a unique number).

BUT - this is important - to demote a leader you need 100% of the officers, the leader not included. Other than to demote an officer, this is not the quote of the participants, you really need ALL officers to vote. So it is important to get rid of the inactive officers first, else their non-votes would count against you.

fi67, thank you for your reply.

There sure is a dilemma about what should be done about some of these inactive categories.

Perhaps a discussion in a new topic?

I realize I am preaching to the choir, but why, in at least a few of the categories I have checked, is there maybe one active officer, maybe two if Andreas has squeezed himself in there?  I am of the opinion if you are a leader of a category, please at least log into the site more often than once every two years...  Okay, I'm off my soapbox and I'll return you to your regularly scheduled Waymarking!

Wayfrog thank you for approving our pending submissions. 

Also I want to acknowledge the 71 categories that had pending waymarks that were approved today by wayfrog. 

As a note of interest there were 51 submissions approved in category Coats of Arms by wayfrog.

It is estimated that he approved over 300 waymarks today. Based on 25 waymarks per page X 13 pages. 

This list is reasonably accurate. 

wayfrog Approvals June 15, 2019 - 71 Categories
9/11 Memorial Sites
Abraham Lincoln
Afghanistan-Iraq War Memorials
American Revolutionary War Veteran Graves
Antique Shops
Auto Clubs
Battlefields
Bed and Breakfast
Belgium Benchmarks
Blood Donation Centers
Boat Ramps
Boer Wars Memorials and Monuments
Bridge Date Stones and Plaques
Canada Post Offices
Celebrity Hangouts
Chinese Restaurants
Coats of Arms - 51
Commercial Commemorations
Compass Roses
Covered Wagons
Dollar Stores
Domes of the (Under) World
Entertainment Awards
Exceptional Trees
Fiberglass Horses
Fire Fighting Vehicles
Firehouses
Florida Historical Markers
Fraternal Order of Eagles
Gazebos
German Trigonometric Points
Hiking and walking trailheads
Illinois Historical Markers
Illuminated School Sports Fields
Labyrinths
Legion Posts and Branches
Made for the Millennium
Maryland Historical Markers
McDonald's Restaurants
Minor League Baseball Stadiums
Montana Historical Markers
Movie Theater Meals
Murals
New Jersey Historical Markers
Old Spanish Trail Auto Route
Old Tractors
Payphones
Peace Poles
Petrosomatoglyphs
Photos Then and Now
Pre-Victorian Historic Homes
Public Swimming Pools
Rails to Trails
Religious Freedom
Scenic Hikes
Self Serve Pet Wash
Shop24 Machines
Starbucks Stores
Stone Church Artefacts
Takeout / Delivery Menus
The Local Neighborhood Grocer
The Underground
Tim Horton's Restaurants
U.K. and Ireland Trigpoints
U.S. Post Offices
Underground Railroad Sites
Victorian Post Boxes
Vintage Gas Stations
Vintage Gasoline Pumps
Wesleyan Churches
WPA Projects

• Upvote 1

Thank you wayfrog for reviewing my post.

I wonder how many waymarks are denied in such a busy day.

Edited by elyob

On 6/15/2019 at 4:56 PM, elyob said:

I wonder how many waymarks are denied in such a busy day.

Yeah, I wonder too?????

These waymarks didn't just all happen at once. They accumulated over time.

So another interesting piece of data is: how long was the oldest waymark in queue, waiting for approval on this wayfrog sweep.

I think BK-Hunters is probably not far from collecting this tidbit of information as well. I found the above study very clever indeed.

On the average, many waymarks were probably waiting for about half of that interval of longest time for approval.

The good things is that 94% of all categories were able to address all of their submissions with a reasonable amount of activity.

This still doesn't say that all those 94% are operating on a timely basis.

The one statistic I've always wanted to calculate would be an average or median elapsed time from submission time to approval time for waymarks in every category!  Seeing that ordered list every month might make it easier to see what categories need help.

If a category's approval time exceeds three days, the feeling I get in our community is that new or more officers are needed in that group.

How that happens has been an interesting series of discussions.

If some set of these 71 categories continue to show up on the list of those needing broad-brushed approvals, then clearly some group renovation or revolution needs to happen. I think we would find them on the high end times of my imagined list too.

<dream> I'm tired of scraping through HTML. if only there were some Waymarking APIs.</dream>

These categories were approved about two months apart. Which is consistent with the three lists for 2019.

Abraham Lincoln   4/16/2019 6/15/2019
Baroque Architecture   4/16/2019 6/15/2019
Chinese Restaurants   4/16/2019 6/15/2019
Coats of Arms    4/16/2019 6/15/2019
Covered Wagons   4/16/2019 6/15/2019
Made for the Millennium   4/16/2019 6/15/2019
New Jersey Historical Markers   4/16/2019 6/15/2019
Public Swimming Pools   4/16/2019 6/15/2019
Rails to Trails   4/16/2019 6/15/2019
Wesleyan Churches 2/24/2019 4/16/2019 6/15/2019

Can not we immediately put new volunteer officers in these categories?

18 minutes ago, pmaupin said:

Can not we immediately put new volunteer officers in these categories?

Sure, join the group and contact the leader to be promoted to officer. 

If this is unsuccessful, contact one of the more current officers and request they promote you to officer. If successful, it will take a full three days and the officer has to vote yea. 

Not too sure what can be done if all fails. If I recall correctly wayfrog is not able to promote officers.

wayfrog, please verify this for us.

49 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

Sure, join the group and contact the leader to be promoted to officer. 

If this is unsuccessful, contact one of the more current officers and request they promote you to officer. If successful, it will take a full three days and the officer has to vote yea. 

Not too sure what can be done if all fails. If I recall correctly wayfrog is not able to promote officers.

wayfrog, please verify this for us.

That's true. I can't promote directly. But if all fails just let me know and I will talk with Groundspeak to get the new officer promoted.