Transferring .GPX from from tablet to Garmin

coman123

I was wondering if it is possible to transfer GPX files from a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 to a Garmin GPS64?

Has anyone done this.

I'm tired of carrying my laptop on trips just to load my GPS with caches.

I currently have an IPAD pro, but I know I can not do it with that, and I have a chance to get eh Galaxy for a good price.

Here is one of many threads on the topic on this forum. 

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/348626-geocache-on-phone-transfer-to-garmin/

There are several ways to do it, and because I wanted to use an iPhone, I tried a portable Wi-Fi router, too.   It's all too tedious and finicky for my taste, so lately I just plan ahead and load the pocket query.   Often when I'm on a trip, I am intending to geocache, and therefore not very open to experimenting with weird setups that risk messing up my GPS and my phone.

But if I felt the need to try it again I think I'd try a super inexpensive Windows tablet computer (the ones that are about $100).   Then I don't have to figure out how to use various android apps to do what I am familiar with in Windows. 

Edited by kunarion
2 hours ago, coman123 said:

I was wondering if it is possible to transfer GPX files from a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 to a Garmin GPS64?

It's easy. I also have a Galaxy tab S2. My GPS is an Oregon 600.

This is my workflow:

I use GSAK (Windows) to keep my databases up to date and select caches we want to do.  (I load my GPS from GSAK for daytrips)

I copy (with a GSAK macro) the needed database to my own cloud on my Synology NAS.

On the tablet I use GDAK where I sync (one way only!) from NAS to tablet.

The last two steps can also be done to USB stick instead of to cloud/NAS

When on holiday or when I want to load extra caches I use an OTG adapter and USB cable and export the caches from GDAK to GPS (older Android versions) or to a file on the tablet (recent Android). I then copy the GPX file to the Garmin/GPX folder.

Unplug.. done

For security reasons Android refuses to write directly to external storage so an extra step is needed.

GDAK is an API partner so logging, importing and refreshing caches can be done via API.

I do basically the same but I use one of these to connect

(StarTech 8in USB Cable-Micro USB to Micro USB-M/M-USB OTG Mobile Device Adapter Cable 8-Inch)

Actually, I make the data base I want in GSAK and save it to my computer (or tablet) using the "Tools/Folder Finder/Databases" functions in GSAK, with it's own name.

In the field, I connect the GPSr to the Android. The GPSr goes into USB mode. Open the files in the Android and the Garmin shows up as a USB mass storage device.
Delete the old GPX file from the Garmin, just like you might do on a computer. Copy the "whatever" GPX into the Garmin folder.

After a decent interval (wait for the copy to complete) disconnect the units. Turn the Garmin on and you now have the caches for "Whatever" in the Garmin.

The only other thing I've found is that if I don't wait a minute or 2 after transferring the file, I get an empty DB in the Garmin. If I wait a while it's all there.

But that may just be the old Garmin I'm using.

Edited by BCandMsKitty
On 7/20/2018 at 7:52 AM, coman123 said:

Sure! You just need an OTG cable with Micro USB to Mini USB connectors. $5-ish on Amazon, eBay, etc. I have a Galaxy Tab S as well as a Galaxy phone. When connected, the GPSMAP 64 shows up on the Galaxy's as a USB Drive. If there is a SD card in the GPSMAP, it shows up as a second USB drive. I've used the same cable to transfer to a friend's GPSMAP 62 as well. 

On 7/21/2018 at 10:25 AM, JohnCNA said:

Sure! You just need an OTG cable with Micro USB to Mini USB connectors. $5-ish on Amazon, eBay, etc. I have a Galaxy Tab S as well as a Galaxy phone. When connected, the GPSMAP 64 shows up on the Galaxy's as a USB Drive. If there is a SD card in the GPSMAP, it shows up as a second USB drive. I've used the same cable to transfer to a friend's GPSMAP 62 as well. 

Can you maneuver to the Garmin/Garmin/GPX file to add and remove directly from there, or does it just show up as a mass storage?

51 minutes ago, coman123 said:

Can you maneuver to the Garmin/Garmin/GPX file to add and remove directly from there, or does it just show up as a mass storage?

The GPS is first set up to be recognized as an external USB drive. The files and folders are shown, and you can add or delete files.

You will need a file manager App, ideally one that can unzip files. For example, if you download a GPX file from a cache page or a Pocket Query Zip file, it arrives in the Download folder of the phone. Unzip if necessary, browse to the Garmin/GPX folder of the GPS and place the files there.

There are or were Geocaching Apps that could place files from a database into a GPS. I don't know which Apps may directly add and remove GPX files from Garmin/GPX folder GPS without having to browse the file structure every time.  That capability could save a few steps.

For a trip lately I load Pocket Queries in advance, then from a Windows computer in my hotel room. This way I have the same reliable file management I have at home. The OTG plan is not for me.

If you're excited about it, try it. Be sure to test how it works, and learn how to mitigate issues, before you need to do that out in the field.

Edited by kunarion
12 hours ago, coman123 said:

I cannot export directly from my geocaching app to the external USB drives. I save it to an internal Downloads folder and then use the Android File Manager to move it from the Downloads folder to 'USB Drive 2/Garmin/GPX' (that's my SD card).

With the File Manager, I can browse the full directory structure of the Garmin and the SD card. Copy, Move, Delete, Rename, etc.

I can download a PQ from the web site or save it from an email attachment, or fetch it from Dropbox. Then copy or move it from the phone to the GPS.

I have also copied a GPX from my 64s to the phone and then copied it from my phone to my friends 62s when we got to the field and he realized he was missing the caches in that area.