Revisiting Caches

Nothing illegal about it.   Some people like to revisit caches to move trackables, like Travel Bugs and Geocoins around.  Sometimes it's just easier to drop stuff off like that in a local cache that's more convenient.

Given that recent updates prevent the second log entry to be logged as a Find, I would suggest posting a Note, if your are dropping something off.

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, captnemo said:

I like to revisit a couple of caches as I love where they are.

One is "Among Crystals" which takes me to an area that Geodes can be found, although not easy to get to. 

When you revisit an area like that, do you actually open the cache and sign the log?  Even if you're not moving trackables?  Just wondering.

51 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

When you revisit an area like that, do you actually open the cache and sign the log?  Even if you're not moving trackables?  Just wondering.

I'm not religious about it, but generally if I'm really revisiting a cache (as opposed to just checking to see if it's still in place), I'll open it and sign the log again, yes. It doesn't take much to talk me out of it, though, like if it's hard to retrieve or has some delicate camo that I don't want to disturb.

I've got a few caches I revisit.  Sometimes because I like the location or the puzzle/challenge (gadget) and occasionally because I know the CO is out of town and the cache may need a little maintenance (I check with them first or more often they get in touch to ask me if I can) like a new log sheet or cleanup.

I revisit caches for three reasons. The first is that I am going past it, and I just do a quick courtesy visit. The second is with a group. The third is when I see someone that appears to be looking for the cache. (Met Moun10bike that way.) In any case, I don't sign the log if found. I might post a note if the cache hasn't been visited in a while or there was a prior DNF, and I will post a NM if the cache is missing.

I've gone back if I know it's a good cache for dropping TBs off or if I'm with someone who hasn't done the cache yet and it's a really solid one. 

Often I've gone back to the area because I learned about it from the cache, but I don't necessarily find the cache itself again.

• Upvote 1
On 7/19/2018 at 9:56 AM, NanCycle said:

I do and I post a note so that the cache owner knows the cache is OK and that I still appreciate their efforts. 

On 7/22/2018 at 2:34 AM, TofuKat said:

I've gone back if I know it's a good cache for dropping TBs off or if I'm with someone who hasn't done the cache yet and it's a really solid one. 

Ditto.  For visits 2 and up, I just log as a note.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:34 PM, TofuKat said:

Often I've gone back to the area because I learned about it from the cache, but I don't necessarily find the cache itself again.

Yep.   Still keep a ledger for hunting, fishing,  or other opportunities in unique areas,  all from caches that presented them to us.  :)

13 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Yep.   Still keep a ledger for hunting, fishing,  or other opportunities in unique areas,  all from caches that presented them to us.  :)

As mentioned, there are some caches where I know it's safe to place a TB.

There's a local garden area with a frequently muggled cache, not well placed, easily spotted, not descrete.  The logs are from a variety of "Finder" mentalities, which means it's tough to know the true cache status.  But the CO places a new container when it's gone.  I went to the area this weekend, and the container is not in its spot.  I couldn't find it, logged "DNF" and that I did find it previously.

And when I see a log about a big rattlesnake at some cache in Sweetwater Creek State Park, I return as soon as I can!

Edited by kunarion
Gotham City needs me.