Help please.

epjones62

We are fairly new to the joy of Geocaching, we had a good day yesterday picked up 3 while on a lovely walk, we also logged a earth cache, but now I have had a e mail telling me it has been removed, I have message the person who removed it, no answer yet, I was hoping someone could tell me what I have done wrong ?

• Upvote 1

Wanted to also mention that it's possible cache owners might delete photos from your online logs if you post photos that show the container, especially if showing the container "gives away" the hiding place or the hide style.  And with an Earthcache or Virtual cache, including photos that give away the answers to questions in the cache description would also be considered a "spoiler".

It's possible for cache owners to delete just your photo, without deleting your entire log, but some cache owners may not know how to do that and just delete your entire log.

Not sure why your log was deleted, but just wanted to mention the photos as a possibility, as it seems odd for an Earthcache CO to delete a log after just one day without sending in answers.

16 hours ago, noncentric said:

Not sure why your log was deleted, but just wanted to mention the photos as a possibility, as it seems odd for an Earthcache CO to delete a log after just one day without sending in answers.

On the listing for the nearest Earthcache to the OPs most recent finds the CO includes:

"You can log your find immediately, but please send the answers within 24 hours."

24 hours seems, to me, to be pretty unreasonable.   A lot of people seek out Earthcaches when traveling, and for those that like to post their logs in the field (which is becoming very common), it's practical to log the cache in the field, then construct the answers  when one gets access to a computer with a keyboard.  I recently did an Earthcache in which the CO asked me to revise one of my answers, and the only way to do that would be to revisit the location to capture some information from a sign.  When I got that email from the CO I was on a different continent, about an 8 hour flight and two hour drive away.

I found the earthcache where the OP's log was deleted. (Reviewers can see deleted logs.)  The CO's requirements were quite reasonable - specifically saying that the find could be logged online before receiving confirmation, and encouraging photos of the beautiful area.  The OP's log was brief, complimentary, and spoiler-free.  A nice photo was attached, showing a landscape view (which the CO encourages).

Assuming the OP submitted correct answers, I'm not seeing grounds for a log deletion.  So, wait to hear back from the CO.

Also, I'm moving this thread from the general Geocaching Topics forum to the Earthcache forum.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

24 hours seems, to me, to be pretty unreasonable.   A lot of people seek out Earthcaches when traveling, and for those that like to post their logs in the field (which is becoming very common), it's practical to log the cache in the field, then construct the answers  when one gets access to a computer with a keyboard.

Admittedly, I'm an old fogey who still doesn't post logs in the field, and I own only one EC myself, but I don't think it's unreasonable at all. If you can post a Find in the field, then you can send the CO answers to the questions in the field.

• Upvote 3
14 hours ago, niraD said:

Admittedly, I'm an old fogey who still doesn't post logs in the field, and I own only one EC myself, but I don't think it's unreasonable at all. If you can post a Find in the field, then you can send the CO answers to the questions in the field.

Yeah, I don't log right away either.  I send my EC answers seconds before I submit my Found It logs, and oftentimes those are sent/submitted weeks after the log date.

Edited by noncentric
On 7/18/2018 at 4:04 PM, epjones62 said:

I have message the person who removed it, no answer yet, I was hoping someone could tell me what I have done wrong ?

It's been five days since your post.  If you haven't heard back, your next step may be to lodge an appeal through the Help Center.