ISS Sighting July 19, 2018

There are several passes from now through the 21st. They are very similar to the ISS passes in May that we had so much fun with. These also stay visible as they cross the Atlantic and pass over France, Spain, and Portugal in the wee hours of the morning.

I am available for a pass on the evening of July 20 that runs near Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, and the NE corner of New York.

7 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

I can't believe that I wrote down the wrong time for viewing. 22:00 is NOT 11 pm.  So, I was an hour late for seeing tonight.

Awww, That's too bad. It's so easy to make mistakes like that. I was very afraid I would do the same. This is why I like morning sightings: no math calculations necessary. 

I can do the one that passes over New York State, visible to me at 10:22 pm Eastern. Although someone should contact TriciaG since she can also do that one (about 100kms from where I am) and she has yet to complete one of these. Send her a message if you can partner with her.

As mentioned there are a series of passes over the next couple days in the general direction of Texas --> Great Lakes region. July 23rd looks great for here (88 degrees max alt at 21:26)

11 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

Just watched it fly over Donna, TX heading for New York State.

20 Jul -3.3 21:14:42 10° SW 21:17:55 62° NW 21:21:09 10° NE visible

We were in the middle of an outdoor concert and I was able to point out the passing of the ISS.

4 hours ago, elyob said:

We were in the middle of an outdoor concert and I was able to point out the passing of the ISS.

We attract so much attention just watching the ISS from our neighborhood intersection (it's our go-to place),  with people very curious why everyone is staring straight up at the sky or down the street. "What's going on? Is something going on? What is everyone looking at? Is there a party?" 

I can imagine how much attention you drew pointing at the ISS while at a concert! Haha.

Three of us tried to spot the one that went by this morning, but it was just too cloudy and we couldn't see it at all.

I live in a retirement community. Many of the folks walk or bike the streets for exercise after sunset when it's cooler. I frequently have 6 or 8 stop and watch the ISS with me.

Once they were having an evening dance at the rec hall. I mentioned to the band leader during set up before the dance that the ISS was going to go over about 5 minutes before their normal break time. When it came time, he announced they were taking an early break to watch the ISS fly over. About 40 people came out into the street to watch it. When we spotted it, the keyboard player went back inside, blocked the door open, and played the theme song from "2001, A Space Odyssey" (The Blue Danube Waltz)

• Funny 1
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

Sure wish it was just a little bit easier to find a partner. 

We have been looking for a partner for years now, no joy yet. We are near Trail, British Columbia and would be willing to travel about 50 km.

We have contacted a few waymarkers/geocachers that could be a partner with no response.

On 9/17/2018 at 7:19 PM, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

How about Friday, Oct 12 pm. I will be in Brenham, Texas at the TXGA Lone Star Roundup weekend.(GC7PEM8)

12 Oct -3.7 19:55:01 10° NW 19:58:14 52° NE 19:59:42 27° ESE visible

Rain and clouds this week so it's not looking good for Friday. I'll still be out watching, though. My husband is sometimes surprised when the sky is cloudy but we still manage to spot the ISS.

17 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Rain and clouds this week so it's not looking good for Friday. I'll still be out watching, though. My husband is sometimes surprised when the sky is cloudy but we still manage to spot the ISS.

if there is anything left around here except swamp to stand on to view it! At least we don't have to worry about a  burn ban!

It's clear today. I hope it stays that way.I'm camping so no WiFi. Currently at the only Starbucks in town. I'll watch for the ISS tonight and see how it goes. Will contact Max & 99 through this site, when I get back on line tomorrow or Sunday. I also saw Tarraviators and HardyP3 here in Brenham. HardyP3 is looking for a partner for tonight. Tarraviators is planning to post a visit when published. Both have already created ISS Waymarks.

For Brenham, TX 

ct -3.8 20:00:38 10° NW 20:03:54 62° NE 20:05:09 33° ESE visible

Edited by 8Nuts MotherGoose
4 minutes ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

It's clear today. I hope it stays that way.I'm camping so no WiFi. Currently at the only Starbucks in town. I'll watch for the ISS tonight and see how it goes. Will contact Max & 99 through this site, when I get back on line tomorrow or Sunday. I also saw Tarraviators and HardyP3 here in Brenham. HardyP3 is looking for a partner for tonight. Tarraviators is planning to post a visit when published. Both have already created ISS Waymarks.

For Brenham, TX 

ct -3.8 20:00:38 10° NW 20:03:54 62° NE 20:05:09 33° ESE visible

I have another waymarker here for HardyP3 to partner with, but we're still at 100% rain probability. We'll still look, both of us, in case that helps HardyP3 and 8Nuts with a sighting. Fingers crossed. 

54 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

I was out there looking. I had Heavens-Above on running on my phone,  tracking it. It stayed behind clouds the whole way.

It didn't peek out at all? We watched it for almost two minutes, but it did go in and out of the clouds.

Edit: it's almost more fun watching it on a cloudy night, trying to anticipate where it'll come back into view. We got really lucky tonight!

Waymarks are created, just waiting for the go-ahead with partners.

Edited by Max and 99

I apologize for the late response. I was camping in a tent. No WiFi available and I don't own a Smartphone.

HardyP3 and I left the Event early to view the ISS. We were in separate vehicles.

I drove back to my camp site to view it. Unfortunately, the cloud front moved in and blocked my view.

HardyP3 pulled their vehicle into a driveway at the edge of town for the viewing. They saw it for a short time before it disappeared into the Earths shadow.

Max and 99 can create a Waymark and list me as being clouded out.

Sidehopper can create a Waymark with HardyP3 as a viewing partner. Profile page for HardyP3 is:

http://www.Waymarking.com/users/profile.aspx?f=1&guid=0a1e4088-58a1-4a78-8eb3-fd1a5b45de54&mypage=1&gt=2

I will also contact HardyP3 about contacting Sidehopper.

6 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

I apologize for the late response. I was camping in a tent. No WiFi available and I don't own a Smartphone.

HardyP3 and I left the Event early to view the ISS. We were in separate vehicles.

I drove back to my camp site to view it. Unfortunately, the cloud front moved in and blocked my view.

HardyP3 pulled their vehicle into a driveway at the edge of town for the viewing. They saw it for a short time before it disappeared into the Earths shadow.

Max and 99 can create a Waymark and list me as being clouded out.

Sidehopper can create a Waymark with HardyP3 as a viewing partner. Profile page for HardyP3 is:

http://www.Waymarking.com/users/profile.aspx?f=1&guid=0a1e4088-58a1-4a78-8eb3-fd1a5b45de54&mypage=1&gt=2

I will also contact HardyP3 about contacting Sidehopper.

Fantastic. I'll get that sorted out tonight. Thanks!

I'll have to review what to write for a clouded-out partner.