Which do you think will happen first?

geocat_

On 7/19/2018 at 8:23 AM, ladyleo191 said:

Well, yes, sometimes it does affect me. If someone tosses a throwdown on a difficult cache and I don't know it, and subsequently I find the throwdown and not the original cache, then my log gets deleted along with the cheater's log. That's not fair to me and may very well have kept me from an interesting and potentially better, experience.

I have heard of 120 logs being deleted by a CO for this reason. I don't know if I could do this. Sure, I would delete the person who left the other cache (I do delete logs for no signatures)...but the others? I would need to think long on this.

5 hours ago, The A-Team said:

Quite a bit of what you say here can be boiled down to "use the tools that we've been provided with and be honest". If folks logged their DNFs rather than throwing-down and used NM/NA as appropriate, we'd be able to avoid lots of these issues and we wouldn't be questioning the validity of those cachers with high numbers.

Exactly.  Well said.

2 hours ago, barefootjeff said:
3 hours ago, Inmountains said:

And his gravestone read "He found 253,943 Geocaches"! hmmmmmmm

That gravestone could then become a virtual waypoint in a multi, where the numerals in the find count get unscrambled to become the coordinates. Someone will need to bump him off at just the right find count though...

And this ... too funny!

3 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

I have heard of 120 logs being deleted by a CO for this reason. I don't know if I could do this. Sure, I would delete the person who left the other cache (I do delete logs for no signatures)...but the others? I would need to think long on this.

I'd delete the CO by placing his/her caches on my ignore list.

2 hours ago, MNTA said:

I'd delete the CO by placing his/her caches on my ignore list.

In some parts of Australia that might mean there would be no caches to find. However in the example I mentioned there are another 41 caches (of all types) within a 100km radius by other COs to find.

On 7/18/2018 at 4:23 PM, ladyleo191 said:

Well, yes, sometimes it does affect me. If someone tosses a throwdown on a difficult cache and I don't know it, and subsequently I find the throwdown and not the original cache, then my log gets deleted along with the cheater's log. That's not fair to me and may very well have kept me from an interesting and potentially better, experience.

I agree its not fair. Below is a exerpt from the help center. If I see a log that suggests a throwdown, I would immediately diable the cache, as suggested below, so that innocents like you wouldn't even search for the the cache/throwdown. I would delete the throwdown placer's log, but not any subsequent loggers. If, as an innocent logger, your log gets deleted, you can appeal to GS to have you log reinstated. But as suggested below, the throwdown placer doesn't have much of a case to get their log reinstated.

Cache owners are responsible for maintenance. When you are aware of throwdowns, check if your cache is still there and remove the throwdown cache. Consider disabling the cache until you can remove the throwdown or replace the original cache. If you do not disable the cache, you may want to honor Found It logs for the throwdown. However, the geocacher who placed the throwdown does not have a strong claim to log the cache as found.

• Upvote 1
On 7/20/2018 at 9:41 AM, Team Christiansen said:

If I see a log that suggests a throwdown, I would immediately diable the cache, as suggested below, so that innocents like you wouldn't even search for the the cache/throwdown.

I did just that a couple weeks ago. Also in the explanation of why it was disabled I wrote "The unauthorized throwdown is not the cache."  With that, I would have felt  justified in deleting any found logs on the throwdown, but I was able to get out and replace it before that became an issue.

Getting back on topic, a few minutes ago, I just got a couple interesting notifications on two caches on my watchlist that I have DNF'ed. mondou2 just posted DNFs on both. One cache, I had already posted a NA followed by my local reviewer Blue Rajah disabling it four days before mondou2's log. Based on some of the discussion in this thread, I'm glad these caches didn't end up with throwdowns.

Edited by Team Christiansen
spelling and grammar
12 minutes ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Looks like Alamogul beat mondou2 to 200K, but sometime earlier this year mondou2 passed Alamogul for most lifetime Finds (now at 210K vs 207K).

And if anyone doubts ... just had Mondou2 miss the FTF, DNFing one of mine the other day.  He spots most of them, but is perfectly willing to say "No joy" when he doesn't.  Once in a while we follow up behind him and spot what he's missed, but not often.  Human, but devoted for sure.

What amazes me is how well he also manages to keep his own placements in order.  It's rare to have a NM on one of his caches for anything more than a week, and he's got a zillion of them spread around Colorado.

On 7/17/2018 at 2:01 AM, kunarion said:

I rode along with a 5-figure cacher once as they came through town. They arrived, found, signed and left.  Maybe five minutes per cache.  Signing as the group.  One cache was a D4 I had tried several times.  Yep, they arrived, found, signed left... with a PAF almost as they stepped out of the car.  Cool.  I guess I'm... done puzzling over that one, it's right there.  With some, I was handed the box, and they're leaving NOW.

I don't like the signing as a group thing, where I definitely didn't even touch the log.  I don't like the in/out/gone thing, I want to check out the place.  I don't like PAF on every cache (I usually don't PAF on any, to me it's fun to try to figure out where a cache is hidden).  I really don't like not knowing exactly how the container was hidden so that I can return it to its place (yeah, maybe it was out in the open, I need to figure that out pronto, they're leaving).  To each his own, I guess.

I didn't witness any throwdowns on that day.  I think they added a dry log sheet a couple of times when the actual log was soaked (I often stay and dry a small log sheet, but sometimes add a clean one).  None of what I saw is what I call cheating or unethical.  But that life is not for me. 

And it's not for them, either.  I'm told a member of the duo became burned out and no longer participates.  Go figure.

Ugh, each their own. This would not be something for me. I also tend to ignore lots of caches when I'm out and about. On a walk on Sunday I could have easily picked up at least two times more than I found, but I preferred to spend a lot of time in an observatory, change my walking route a lot, and basically didn't feel like picking up a micro underneath a bench. I'd not even know what to write in a log there.

• Helpful 1