Micro SD card in GPS

Now that I have the recommended SD card, and been guided on the need to avoid Basecamp, can anyone tell me how I force my Montana to read the SD card when I place GPX files on it?

The manual tells me how to insert the card but not how to access it.  I can see it when I am connected to my PC but if I place a GPX file on it the unit doesn't see it until I place it on the unit's own drive.

Hoges

If you copy the gpx file to the GPX directory (Maybe it's Garmin/GPX or Garmin/Garmin/GPX) that's on the device, it'll read the contents of that directory on boot. 

Unlike some of the older devices, it's not like there's a menu on the device to "load" from SD card; it just reads it once on boot. You'll know it's in the right place when the unit takes frustratingly long to boot the first time. That's when it's reading the card...

Just to clarify Robertlipe's response:

You first need to create a directory (folder) named Garmin on the SD card. Inside that directory, you can create your folders as they are named on your device (GPX, GGZ, CustomMaps, etc.) as needed.

Any maps that you install go directly into the Garmin folder.

If the files still aren't being read, you might check that the SD card is formatted with the FAT32 file system, and not EXFAT.

• Helpful 1