Talk about GROSS !!

Trafcon

OK I have slid down mud hills, fallen into water, had huge honkin spiders run across my arm and up my leg but nothing as gross as today.

It was a beautiful day, the first real Spring like day we have had so I thought I would got caching since the wife was out of town with most of the kids. Also I wanted to break the 200 mark which I did.

I decided to start off with the three Charlie Trail Duster caches and one Slinger cache out west I hadn't found. The first one I did was the Wilkesboro cache. I parked my car and since I had previously done CTD's Manning Cache I knew right where this was hiding when I saw where my GPS was pointing. I walked over and sure enough there was the "sign" under the tree cover. I started to reach down for the cache and as I did I noticed about six feet away there were three blue paper towels like a garage mechanic might use.

It didn't take me long to figure out that someone couldn't wait and decided to use this tree cover as their own personal port-a-potty. I started to look for the pile and found it right away. Yep, it was only 3 feet from the buried cache and right under my left tennis shoe flattened out and squished all over. icon_eek.gif

I'm sorry CTD but I didn't have a shovel or anything to remove it. I did well just to get the stuff off my shoe. After climbing back into my car I had to laugh as I realized that someone had given new meaning to "logging a cache". If you try this one soon, watch out.

KTF !!! GBWY !!!

Arrgh!

We were tentatively planning on going out to do Wilkesboro and Manning Blink tomorrow, and a couple others in that area. This is NOT what we wanted to hear. Hey, we know about nature calling, but too bad it happens to be so near the cache. It'd be a shame to go caching and contract Hep A accidentally. In the morning if we remember to pack latex gloves and a shovel, we'll see about burying it.

Temporarily French Polynesia's most prolific geocachers!

Trafcon.

I feel your pain as last year in Montana, Red did the same thing but we could not get it cleaned off and I just relocated her shoes to the trash can at Walmart as I went through the doors to get her some new shoes and socks.

I had given her a piggy back ride across a small stream and luckly, I did not get any on my clothes anywhere.

I guess finding "Paper Rose's" should mean beware of where your stepping.

logscaler.

Here's one that lives up to the other stories. Yesterday, we went caching in a small local park. It was extremely muddy and we kept getting our feet stuck in the mud. We were paying more attention to the mud and trying to locate the cache when all of a sudden Armando yanks in Paco the dog, who had just barely started a neck-roll into a pile of runny dog poop sitting next to a tree. Fortunately we caught him before he did much damage. And it's definitely a good idea to keep wet wipes and other clean up items in your cache pack. I'm so glad we had them this time to get the poop off his neck, or the smell would have been intolearable on the ride home. Needless to say, he went straight into the bathtub when we got home.

Remember to always clean up after your dog, or yourself.

Armando & Co.

We were next after Trafcon, and also stumbled into it, if you get my drift icon_mad.gif. John and Lynn showed up just behind us and we were able to verbally and probably odoriferously give them warning.

That, and then our next stop was Charlie's Banks tour, with that drum of oil or something leaking all over was gross in a different way. icon_eek.gif

hept-hole.gif

It's a bummer!

I shut down the Banks Tour cache because of all the complaints about the cache site and I cleaned up the crap at Wilkesboro Station. That's about the best I can do to improve the situation.

Trafcon - I apologize for the indiscretion of one of our fine tourists who just "couldn't wait". There are persons who believe that the country is just a convenient place to get rid of their problems. About once a year on average someone will walk up my drive way and take a dump right in the middle of the road. In the years past in front of my gate they have provided me with a rather ripe deer carcass, a stolen car and one guy dumped an entire house worth of carpet completely blocking the road. Had to use my tractor to clear a path so I could get out.

Even with the "gifts" from an occasional inconsiderate tourist, I still love living out here...

Charlie Trail Duster -

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

quote:
Originally posted by Charlie Trail Duster:

It's a bummer!

I shut down the Banks Tour cache because of all the complaints about the cache site and I cleaned up the crap at Wilkesboro Station. That's about the best I can do to improve the situation.

Thank you Charlie, for cleaning up a "ripe" situation. It's always good when someone will go the extra mile to maintain their caches.

As for the Banks Tour, I'm a little torn. We expressed some disgust at what we found close to the cache, but not really saying that you should remove it. Speaking for myself (Marla may have other opinions) it might be a good thing to have a cache there if only to show what people will dump on the roadside. I doubt the town of Banks would like the association icon_smile.gif

Plus, unfortunately, it's probably not the sort of mess that a volunteer effort can clean up. icon_frown.gif

hept-hole.gif

quote:
Originally posted by kiwimonster:

As for the Banks Tour, I'm a little torn. We expressed some disgust at what we found close to the cache, but not really saying that you should remove it. Speaking for myself (Marla may have other opinions) it might be a good thing to have a cache there if only to show what people will dump on the roadside. I doubt the town of Banks would like the association icon_smile.gif

When I placed the cache the oil was not exposed but there was some trash around. Log entries indicate that both the trash and expecially the oil appear to be offensive to cachers. People seem to like the tour through Banks, they just don't like where the cache is located so I will try to find a new site. icon_wink.gif

Charlie Trail Duster -

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Charlie no need to apoligize to me. Believe me I know about the thoughtless side of nature. Even happens here in the Great Northwest. I would have cleaned up the mess if I had my fold-up shovel with me.

I also think that you shouldn't have removed the Banks cache. Even though I looked for 45 minutes and got skunked the first time. icon_wink.gif As long as it isn't in a hazardous dump site or full of PCB's or other health hazards, folks can read the log and decide if they want to hunt it. Just my two cents.

KTF !!! GBWY !!!

The trash doesn't bother me so much, and is not what we considered gross. So that we are all on the same page, this is what we are talking about:

icon_eek.gif, which is why I mentioned it (plus we did this right after Wilkesboro, so we were already grossed out.

I still don't suggest you archive it, but moving it over fifty feet or so if possible would do a world of good.

hept-hole.gif

I would say I have seen two gross things while caching... One would be the number of cans and bottles around the "Have a Ball, Get Wet or Just Board" cache. Number two would be the house west of where the road comes out after doing "Schedule Cleared". The people there have their trash piled up in the frony yard, back yard, and on the porch nearly five feet high.

I have also been to the Wilkesboro cache site, but wasn't as offended or grossed out as much as others have been over some poop. I don't think it acceptable, but at the same time people are human. I found the nice pile of what I believe were cow bones at the bottom of the hill (just next to under the overpass) that to me is more gross that some doo-doo. The illegal oil dumping however is a very bad thing and if I ever see someone doing it they will get my boot up their butt.

The feces will break down and become part of that next apples you are eating. Happy Trails.

re: Have a Ball Cache

I was sure surprised when the trash at the site just kept returning. I seem to recall it was fairly clean the day it was initially placed. It's amazing that in a park with so many managed facilities that people will still get into the woods and do their best to make it into a trash dump.

I would like to think that since the cache has been placed that the area's quiescent trash level is slightly reduced.

I also seem to recall that a certain geocacher has seen someone injecting drugs along the trail in that same park. Amazing!