Oregon 700 routes

Loading a lengthy route - a gpx file - onto an Oregon 700, if I go in via Route Planner then I can see the route on the map.  As soon as I choose 'Go' though, I get an error "Only 50 points can be used for On Road navigation".  This is a walking route but not sure if there is some attribute of the gpx file that needs to be changed, or a setting on the Oregon.  Any ideas?

2 hours ago, TheOldfields said:

We did 13 miles today with some complicated back and forwards.  Route was 163 points.  

You're saying that a route that would have been fine on a 450 is too complex for a 700?

Ah, no. As per Garmin:

File limitations of Oregon 700 series

When sending or creating files for an outdoor device, keep in mind the following device limitations:

Oregon 700 (series)

• 2,000 GPX files
  • 10,000 waypoints
  • No limit on geocaches (outside of max number of GPX  files supported and memory available)
  • 250 routes, 250 points per route
  • 250 saved tracks
  • 2,000 archive tracks
  • 20,000 points per track
  • 100 custom map tiles
  • 250 BirdsEye Imagery files
  • Mapping segments 15,000*

The 50 point limit may apply only to routes that get routed along roads. So as long as your routing activity is Direct, and not any of the other methods that route along roads and trails, etc, you may be fine.