What mobile phone to use (UK)?

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a set of phones for visiting groups to our outdoor education centre to use for geocaching. 

I have a Samsung S5 neo on which the app (including the compass feature) works briliiantly, and a Samsuing J5 on which the compass doesn't work.  I think this is beacuse of the phone having a gyro / compass in it somehow but am not certain.

So my question is, if I'm looking to buy a small suite (6 to start with) of smartphones- - as cheap as possible (hoping for less than £100 each) -  on which the app will work properly, then what ought I to buy, and what features must I make sure that they have?.  Any advice gratefully received.

I've looked into buying GPS's instead but am convinced that phones are the best way to go for me as they provide kids with somehting that's far more accesible when they get home again (our mission is to get kids outdoors, having fun and getting fit whilst doing it so if they are encouraged to take hobbies up back at home then that's missions accomplished.)

Thanks

James

I bought my daughter a DOOGEE X5 Pro and it has all the sensors and so on needed for geocaching, and runs the official app fine - no lag. It is plastic, but was like £40.  I'm not sure if the model is available now, you may find places, or there may be a newer version with a similar or better spec and the same price.

If you provide them with smartphones won't they just use all the other apps and drain your data?  At ;east a GPS is a) rugged and B) limited to geocaching.

It doesn't sound as if you have actually used a GPS yourself, only 'phones, perhaps you could make a more informed decision if you did ?

I have used both for caching (and an android tablet and an i-pad just to check them out) and if I was handing over a smartphone or a GPS to a child or adolescent to cache with in the great outdoors,, I'd be considering the robustness of the device, the complexity of it , the opportunity of it to go wrong by pressing the wrong button (and the frustration that produces) , the opportunity for deliberate misuse ,  how it would be carried (in the hand ?  On a lanyard ? ) the way it is powered , and not least,  how much time I would have to spend sorting the device out after use so it is ready for the next time.

That's not even thinking about cost, accuracy, or expected lifespan of the device. Or the creative misuse many junior hackers can put a smartphone to ... even without a sim card. All that inbuilt bloatware is an invitation to fiddle around inside and see what can be changed.