(UK) Buying a set of android phones for Outdoor Ed Centre - what to get?

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a set of phones for visiting groups tonour outdoor education centre to use for geocaching. 

I have a Samsung S5 neo on whihc the app (inlcuding the compass feature) works briliiantly, and a Samsuing J5 on which the compass doesn;t work.  I thinkthis is beacuse of the phone having a gyro / compass in it somehow but am not certain.

So my question is, if I'm looking to buy a small suite (6 to start with) of smartphones- - as cheap as possible (hoping for less than £100 each) -  on which the app will work properly, then what ought I to buy, and what features must I make sure that they have?.  Any advice gratefully received.

I've looked into buying GPS's instead but am convinced that phones are the best way to go for me as they provide kids with somehting that's far more accesible when they get home again (our mission is to get kids outdoors, having fun and getting fit whilst doing it so if they are encouraged to take hobbies up back at home then that's missions accomplished.)

Thanks

James

Have a look at the cheap, rugged Android phones on AliExpress. Blackview has a few durable models, and I'm quite happy with my BV6000s, which recently survived a short roll down a mountainside (a tree stopped it).  It's low-spec compared to pricier phones, but high-spec compared to any Garmin. Works great for caching.

Bonus, a rugged phone is probably so uncool that nobody would want to spirit it away.

Also look at Locus Map, which is undoubtedly the best map app for outdoor recreation. It's also a mighty fine caching app. I have no need for "the app" because Locus does much more.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 1

Agree with Viajero Perdido, one of the china rugged phones do make decent "handhelds".     :)

If you're "loaning them out", you'd probably want a rugged phone.   

I don't use a phone for caching,  but the BV600, for the price, was closest to what I was  looking for on something different.

Maybe not as inexpensive as a S5 neo , but will last with many folks "borrowing" it. 

Edited by cerberus1