Travel bug notification

ChrisB97

There's no additional step required after you activate it - you should automatically get an email whenever someone discovers your TB or moves it.

For anyone else's TB, you can opt to watch it.  But for yours, you're already watching it.

You will not get notifications of "took it to" posts (visits), but otherwise, like hzoi said, you're already getting email notifications for your TB. If there are drops/retrieves/discovers that you don't get emails for, check your spam filter and/or your email address in the system to make sure it's correct.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, ChrisB97 said:

I have a TB out there and want to setup, probably a pocket query, but a means of notification so I know when she is on the move.

For the life of me I can't see how to do it, can anybody give me a clue.

As TriciaG says,  You should be receiving notifications in email every time your "Wandering Guide" is Dropped, Retrieved, and Discovered.  If not, your spam filter is thinking it's something else.

- But the "took it to" (the Visit log)  that folks use to "visit" cache-to-cache  doesn't  get a notification each time.

Like they did in the UK, and now in AU, you've noticed those visit logs, "visiting" caches sometimes .1 apart for miles.

I for one appreciate the fact that I don't get a gazillion emails for someone simply walking them around.  No pics, so not even sure that person still has it in their possession, sometimes months later.   Curious, I can look on the Trackable's page.  :)

I dropped a travel bug today into a cache, but when I went to log it, the only option I had for logging was "Write Note". So I wrote a note that I had put it into the cache and Identified which cache that was. I was expecting to get an option of "Dropped" or something like that, but the only option, from the TB page that is, was "Write Note". Should I go back and do something else, and how would I do that? I want the TB owner to know that I did put the TB back out there to be moved along. Thank you very much.

17 minutes ago, TeamRoadrunner said:

I dropped a travel bug today into a cache, but when I went to log it, the only option I had for logging was "Write Note". So I wrote a note that I had put it into the cache and Identified which cache that was. I was expecting to get an option of "Dropped" or something like that, but the only option, from the TB page that is, was "Write Note". Should I go back and do something else, and how would I do that? I want the TB owner to know that I did put the TB back out there to be moved along. Thank you very much.

You do this with a cache log, at the cache page where you will log the Drop.  When you create or edit your cache log, select "Dropped Off" for the Trackable, from the list at the bottom of the page, then post the log.  As mentioned it must previously have been logged into your Inventory.

Once the "Drop" log is done, you may then go to the TB's page and edit its new log with text and photos about the TB.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

When the only option's Write Note, you don't have the code entered for any other log type.

We can't see your inventory, but as the last two said, it seems that somehow you forgot to put it in yours. :)

Maybe it's named something else, but  after seeing your "Car Lot" Found it, saying you swapped a dino trackable for swag, I couldn't find a dinosaur trackable in your list. 

1 minute ago, BugLuv said:

Ok. So, they’ll see it only if they check the log.... 

Right.  Some of my TBs have pages of "Took It To" logs (almost never with a picture nor story).  I don't like to be reminded that some weirdo is carting my TB around for months.  Frankly, that's creepy.  So I don't check to see if or when "Took It To" may occur.  When they eventually place it, yeah, I find a bahzillion logs from caches all over the place.  The TB description specifies not to carry it around, but place it into a suitable cache.  So they're not paying attention to the Mission.

There are or were some Apps and programs that log TBs into every cache you find.  Note that this happens even when you lost the thing months ago.  And you won't even know.  The owner sure won't know.  The owner may not even ask, because maybe I don't want to aggravate someone who's deranged doing his own thing. B)

Yes, I have seen the pages of visit logs. That is very distracting and annoying. I can understand why there’s no notification. I was just disappointed because for one bug especially I had four cool visits in 4 different states With pictures. That matched the mission. I did drop them once I finished the week vacation In another state. Oh well-live and learn 

1 hour ago, BugLuv said:

Yes, I have seen the pages of visit logs. That is very distracting and annoying. I can understand why there’s no notification. I was just disappointed because for one bug especially I had four cool visits in 4 different states With pictures. That matched the mission. I did drop them once I finished the week vacation In another state. Oh well-live and learn 

One of mine was kidnapped and carried around by a guy "Visiting" caches as is the cherished Geocacher tradition.  He "Took It To" one Geocache at a castle in Scotland, then continued to "Took It To" in the US.  One cache visit in Scotland, nowhere else in Europe.  I can't tell if that was even a real "Took It To".  If "Took It To" is thought to be "doing a favor to the TB Owner", what happened to the part about doing the favor!  You know, like posting a photo of the castle in Scotland or something.  Or anything.  Just sayin. :)

Edited by kunarion
5 hours ago, BugLuv said:

I can understand why there’s no notification. I was just disappointed because for one bug especially I had four cool visits in 4 different states With pictures. That matched the mission.

I'd say in a case like this, you could "game the system" a bit by logging them as a drop into the cache, then a retrieve from the cache. Those would give notification logs.

• Helpful 1