Cache Replacement

I am wrestling with a conundrum regarding one of my currently hidden caches... the issue I have is that the original container has gone missing and in the process of replacing it, I want to take advantage and correct a missed opportunity.

The cache in question is GC73RN1 Cerulean Springs Hotel.  The missed opportunity is to make this a travel bug hotel.  What I would like to do is archive the existing listing and place a new one at the exact same coordinates, reflecting the new name of Cerulean Springs Travel Bug Hotel.  While I'm pretty sure the letter of the rules allows for this, it's the spirit of the rules that I'm a bit concerned with.  The way I see it, I'm placing a "different" cache in the same place and want to give everyone who found it previously a fresh shot at the new one, but I'm concerned that maybe some cachers will say "you shouldn't have done that".

I have everything I need for the new placement ready to go, except for the doubts plaguing me.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, AlleyCat67 said:

I am wrestling with a conundrum regarding one of my currently hidden caches... the issue I have is that the original container has gone missing and in the process of replacing it, I want to take advantage and correct a missed opportunity.

The cache in question is GC73RN1 Cerulean Springs Hotel.  The missed opportunity is to make this a travel bug hotel.  What I would like to do is archive the existing listing and place a new one at the exact same coordinates, reflecting the new name of Cerulean Springs Travel Bug Hotel.  While I'm pretty sure the letter of the rules allows for this, it's the spirit of the rules that I'm a bit concerned with.  The way I see it, I'm placing a "different" cache in the same place and want to give everyone who found it previously a fresh shot at the new one, but I'm concerned that maybe some cachers will say "you shouldn't have done that".

I have everything I need for the new placement ready to go, except for the doubts plaguing me.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I think your idea is a very good one!  If I had already found the old cache, I'd be thrilled to return and find the new one.

You can easily change the name of the cache using "Edit". If it were me I would l NOT include "Travel Bug Hotel" in a cache name. There are a few threads in this forum about why. If the cache is a decent size and with a D/T rating that's not going to attract muggles with apps and in not too acessable spot, cachers will use it to drop TBs anyway.

• Upvote 2

The new container is going to be the typical 50 caliber ammo can (Walmart special so no markings of any kind other than the label on the bottom), and I may rethink the hide location because while it is in an off the beaten path location, there is a sign along the highway calling it out, so I don't want anyone stumbling across it (which may be why the last container went missing).

And yes, I know all about editing the name and other details in the editor, and that thought did cross my mind as well as a perfectly valid argument against archiving/recreating.  Thus the dilemma I find myself in about this.

• Upvote 1

I don't see an issue with what you propose.  The guidelines recommend publishing a new cache listing if the "fundamental nature of the hide" is changed, and you clearly feel i would be.  So make a new one.  If any previous finders decide they don't need to revisit it, they don't have to.

11 hours ago, AlleyCat67 said:

The missed opportunity is to make this a travel bug hotel.  What I would like to do is archive the existing listing and place a new one at the exact same coordinates, reflecting the new name of Cerulean Springs Travel Bug Hotel.  While I'm pretty sure the letter of the rules allows for this, it's the spirit of the rules that I'm a bit concerned with.  The way I see it, I'm placing a "different" cache in the same place and want to give everyone who found it previously a fresh shot at the new one, but I'm concerned that maybe some cachers will say "you shouldn't have done that".

11 hours ago, AlleyCat67 said:

and I may rethink the hide location because while it is in an off the beaten path location, there is a sign along the highway calling it out, so I don't want anyone stumbling across it (which may be why the last container went missing).

If you feel you have to change something that really bugs you, then change it.  In a year so okay by cache permanence.

I can see that if a brand new experience, but this is just a different container and slight name change.

- We changed a container six times before we were happy with one. 

No offense, but do you think many will even (really) notice if you simply changed the name ?  It's a smiley...

If you move the location, different container, and change the name,  you can still move it yourself up to .1, so that's up to you too.

Unlike those we've seen in people's yards,  like Colleda said, we won't place a trackable in a "hotel".  We've had more issues with hoarders and outright thieves at those things.  YMMV...