Additional Zoom Mechanisms

niraD

Currently, the only way to zoom the map is to use the pinch (or unpinch) gestures. This is awkward when holding your phone in one hand and holding something else (a hiking stick? a water bottle? an expensive espresso drink?) in the other hand.

It would be very useful to have other mechanisms to zoom the map, in addition to the pinch (or unpinch) gestures.

For example, a + button and a – button. You don't need the full scrollbar, just those two buttons, preferably located somewhere that your thumb can reach while you're holding the phone in one hand. An option for the bottom right corner (for right-handed use) or the bottom left corner (for left-handed use) would be even better.

As another example, other geocaching apps that I've used have had an option to use the volume up/down buttons to zoom the map in and out. This has been extremely useful. I would love an option like this on Groundspeak's app.

2 minutes ago, rocketgarden said:

There's actually a second (secret? hidden?) gesture you can use to zoom the map with only one finger.

Double tap, but hold down on the second tap and drag up/down to zoom. I use it all the time on google maps and it is very convenient compared to the pinch-zoom

Although I still prefer the buttons on my handheld GPSr, this trick is awesome!! Thanks for sharing.

18 minutes ago, rocketgarden said:

There's actually a second (secret? hidden?) gesture you can use to zoom the map with only one finger.

Double tap, but hold down on the second tap and drag up/down to zoom. I use it all the time on google maps and it is very convenient compared to the pinch-zoom

Good to know.

I would still prefer using the volume buttons, or the +/– on-screen buttons.

5 hours ago, SpiritGuide said:

Volume buttons are used as intended for app sounds like the proximity pings when nearing a cache.

I'd rather forego the proximity pings and other app sounds and use the volume buttons for zoom instead. But I've never used proximity pings. If I'm navigating to a cache, then I don't need them to let me know when I'm close. If I'm not navigating to a cache, then I don't want them to let me know that I'm close to a cache, any cache, smiley ahead!