How to clear out old caches from Garmin Etrex 20x

DannyCaffeine

I can't figure it out besides going in and deleting the GPX files. Normally I do this and its no biggie but one of the caches I need to delete is archived and I can't seem to look it up to tell which GPX file is the right one. I tried waypoint manager and that doesn't work. Anyone got a solution? Thanks!

if you know the cache name it should be in the geocache file on the etrex 20, go to that cache name and select it. when it shows up press the button on he polecat, you should see a menu where you can log your find/dnf. think it may say go to. there should be an option "done". press that and the cache should be deleted., You may have to play with the menu's some.

1 hour ago, Jayeffel said:

if you know the cache name it should be in the geocache file on the etrex 20, go to that cache name and select it. when it shows up press the button on he polecat, you should see a menu where you can log your find/dnf. think it may say go to. there should be an option "done". press that and the cache should be deleted., You may have to play with the menu's some.

When I click on found, unattempted, needs repair, etc on my Garmin, the next button in 'done'. That does not remove the file from my Garmin. The file has not been deleted and is still there, but now in the found list. The only way I know how to delete a file is to connect my Garmin to my computer and click on the file and go delete. Is this what you meant, or something different?

7 hours ago, DannyCaffeine said:

I can't figure it out besides going in and deleting the GPX files. Normally I do this and its no biggie but one of the caches I need to delete is archived and I can't seem to look it up to tell which GPX file is the right one. I tried waypoint manager and that doesn't work. Anyone got a solution? Thanks!

Instead of comparing each cache with the web site, delete them all and load new ones, on a regular basis.  That's the solution.

But if you have individual cache files on your GPS (not Pocket Queries or Lists), and if you can view the info of a particular cache, you can delete that file using a computer.  With most any handheld Garmin GPS, that's how it's done.

First, open the cache description on your GPS, and you see the cache number, such as "GC561MJ".  Next connect your GPS to your computer and browse to the "Garmin/GPX" folder.  In that folder,  find the GPX file, which in this example is "GC561MJ.GPX", and delete it.

If you instead load Pocket Queries, delete the particular Pocket Query GPX file, load a freshly run Pocket Query.  It will automagically include no archived caches, and the active caches will have current info.

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1
6 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

the next button in 'done'.

that is what I wanted to refer to-- that seems to remover the cache info from my etrex 20. Do you by any way upload cache data to your etrex 20 often? Maybe it is still in a file in your down load folder and then when you upload it it shows up again after actually being removed. Just a thought. I'll have to get my etrex and go through the menu to be sure I'm on the same page you are.

4 hours ago, kunarion said:

If you instead load Pocket Queries, delete the particular Pocket Query GPX file, load a freshly run Pocket Query.  It will automagically include no archived caches, and the active caches will have current info.

The OP is posting from a Basic account so likely isn't using Pocket Queries.

35 minutes ago, Jayeffel said:

that is what I wanted to refer to-- that seems to remover the cache info from my etrex 20. Do you by any way upload cache data to your etrex 20 often? Maybe it is still in a file in your down load folder and then when you upload it it shows up again after actually being removed. Just a thought. I'll have to get my etrex and go through the menu to be sure I'm on the same page you are.

The only* way to remove caches from eTrex GPSs is to connect the GPS to a computer and use the computer file manager to delete the files. Logging a visit or selecting a DONE menu option only hides the cache from the GPS functions.  Note that if you use an Apple computer you need to empty the trash after you delete the file(s)  while the GPS is still connected to the Mac.

*I think you can also remove caches by doing a factory reset but that is overkill.

1 hour ago, GeoTrekker26 said:

The OP is posting from a Basic account so likely isn't using Pocket Queries.

Good catch! This is a good time to remind people that if you can't use Pocket Queries, don't use Pocket Queries. :)

Sheesh.  There's a whole answer there in my post before I mentioned the value of Pocket Queries. :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion

The only* way to remove caches from eTrex GPSs is to connect the GPS to a computer and use the computer file manager to delete the files. Logging a visit or selecting a DONE menu option only hides the cache from the GPS functions. 

ok, knew it didn't show up on the list!

5 hours ago, Jayeffel said:

ok, knew it didn't show up on the list!

As I wrote above, " The file has not been deleted and is still there, but now in the found list." It's still on a list; only not the list of caches to be found. Go down the menu and select view found and you will see all the found cache files still there. You need to connect to a computer to permanently remove them.

You don’t need to do the file cleanup often, your e20 will hold 5000 caches. You can upgrade to Premium so you can use Pockey Queries or you can try Garmin’s free Basecamp, either will make the process easier. 

Yes.  An advantage of a Pocket Query is that it can be a list of one area and can be used as a current snapshot of the selected area.  If caches become archived, they are gone from the Pocket Query, and then gone from the GPS when you over-write the old file with the new file.

You can make Pocket Queries of archived caches if you like (there are handy reasons why you would keep things like that on the GPS device).  But for this discussion, we're all about automatically having the available caches shown, and the archived ones gone.

Yikes!  I mentioned "Pocket Queries again". B)

Edited by kunarion

Does the Etrex 20x work with the Garmin BaseCamp program?
If so, you can view the geocaches on your gps while in BaseCamp.
You can right click the geocache icon on the map (or the use the list in the left-hand column) and delete the geocache from your gps.
You can even select multiple geocaches and delete them from your gps.