What is your oldest DNF redemption?

In November 2011, while living in California, I failed to find a particular cache in Utah while visiting the in-laws. Years later, now that I live in Utah, I tried to find the cache today and was successful. At 6 years and 4 months, I think this is my oldest DNF redemption.

What is yours?

Edited by Team Christiansen
16 minutes ago, Team Christiansen said:

In November 2011, while living in California, I failed to find a particular cache in Utah while visiting the in-laws. Years later, now that I live in Utah, I tried to find the cache today and was successful. At 6 years and 4 months, I think this is my oldest DNF redemption.

What is yours?

What a great question. I'll have to think about that one.

It looks like mine is nearly three years, on GC5A4AM, which I DNFed in August 2014 when I could see where the cache was but couldn't safely reach it, but returned in April 2017 carrying my newly-acquired telescopic ladder out there, which allowed me to easily get up to it from below and make the find. I have other DNFs dating back even longer, which everyone else seems to be able to find, but have yet to redeem them due to distance or persistent presence of muggles every time I try.

8 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I can't come close to those records, but I recently redeemed  a DNF in a state I never thought I'd get to go back to. To me, it was a big deal to have that opportunity and of course I found the cache right away this time!

I redeemed a country (Ethiopia) twice that I thought I'd never get back to.  The first time I visited there was only one cache in the city I was in.   I was there for a three day meeting and we drove within 1000' or so of it three times (I could look down the road and see GZ).   I was back two years later after that cache had been archived but there were a couple of new ones that had been placed.   I was working at the same place but took a taxi one evening to where one of them was placed.  A couple of years later I was back again and there were 4 caches in the city.  I was staying in a hotel next to one of them.  

I'll have to check for the longest time frame but I know the longest distance (just under 9,600 miles) Ubin Quarry is a multicache on Palau Ubin, a jungle island in the Staits of Johor between Singapore and Malaysia that I DNF'ed with Susancycle in Aug of '07.

My DNF:

"Spent a good 30 minutes here with S'cycle. Could not find stage 1. S was facinated by the mudskippers and the tiny crabs so it was not a wasted trip. Don't know when we might ever get back to clear this DNF, though."

As it happened, S'cycle had to go back in Mar '09 and I went with her. Grabbed a bumboat ride out to Ubin, rented a mountain bike and this time I found it!

My oldest is "Oregon Mine  which I DNFed on 8/21/04 and found on 10/28/17 for 13 years 2 months and 7 days.

Interesting when checking this out just now, I realized I had made an error in the found log on the date of the DNF so edited the log to the correct date. 

My record is six years, two months - not as long as some of the other timeframes above, but memorable to me.  You see, the cache in question was Totally Tubular III, by Dayspring, one of the pioneers in constructing awesome gadget caches.  This somewhat famous cache, now archived, required the finder to insert a GPS battery to activate a motor which "delivered" the cache up a PVC tube.

On my first visit -- June 11, 2007 -- I couldn't even find the tube that held the cache!  This was before gadget caches were "a thing" in my home area, and I just didn't have the mindset.  Returning to the cache on August 15, 2013, by which time the cache was "famous," I walked right to the "tube" and enjoyed the experience greatly.

I like that my longest DNF redemption was on a cache that's more than 2,100 miles from my home coordinates.

• Upvote 1

I think mine is 5.5 years, but this is based on simple browsing through a history of some of my many DNFs (over 700). Is there an easy way to search for your DNF redemption? Do you need something like GSAK to do this?

The one that I think is my oldest is a cache in Santa Fe that I DNF'd in July 2011 while we were visiting. I couldn't anticipate it at the time, but we ended up moving to Santa Fe about 5 years later and the cache was still there, and this time I was able to find it (after one more DNF though...)

I used GSAK to take a trip down memory lane through my DNF's when I saw this thread.

1. Have a database that only holds your "My Finds" pocket query results.
  2. Sort the caches by number of logs (since a My Finds query includes all your logs on each cache - both "Found it" and "Didn't Find It").
  3. Look through each cache that has more than one log by your account (i.e., a DNF and a Found It).

There may be other ways, but this was an easy way to filter on my finds where I previously logged a DNF.

• Upvote 2
33 minutes ago, The Leprechauns said:

I used GSAK to take a trip down memory lane through my DNF's when I saw this thread.

1. Have a database that only holds your "My Finds" pocket query results.
  2. Sort the caches by number of logs (since a My Finds query includes all your logs on each cache - both "Found it" and "Didn't Find It").
  3. Look through each cache that has more than one log by your account (i.e., a DNF and a Found It).

There may be other ways, but this was an easy way to filter on my finds where I previously logged a DNF.

I did similar.   Also in GSAK, I sorted by the column "DNF date", and compared that date to "Found by me".  

• Upvote 2

I was looking at the map page this morning for an area in Belgium that I'll be in next month and saw a DNF for a cache that I had posted when I was there in 2011.  I checked, and the cache is still active (it was placed in 2002) so I will have the chance to redeem that one when I visit next month.   I remember that DNF well.  It was in a park and while I was searching for it a groundskeeper told me that I had to leave the park as it was closing.  I had DNFd another cache that day, but it has since been archived.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I was looking at the map page this morning for an area in Belgium that I'll be in next month and saw a DNF for a cache that I had posted when I was there in 2011.  I checked, and the cache is still active (it was placed in 2002) so I will have the chance to redeem that one when I visit next month.   I remember that DNF well.  It was in a park and while I was searching for it a groundskeeper told me that I had to leave the park as it was closing.  I had DNFd another cache that day, but it has since been archived.

Best of luck!!

Let us know if you find it.