Many daily finds

I see stats for other cacher and see many have found way more caches than I have, But there is one bit of info on several stats sheets that caught my eye, Several cachers are listed in stats with over 1000 caches found in one day. I see no way that is possible. Am I missing something?

Edited by Jayeffel
punctuation missed in my review
8 minutes ago, Jayeffel said:

I see stats for other cacher and see many have found way more caches than I have, But there is one bit of info on several stats sheets that caught my eye, Several cares are listed in stat with over 1000 caches found in one day. I see no way that is possible. Am I missing something?

I am guessing "cares" is cachers. Some people go travelling and only log when they return home. If they don't use the date for the actual day they found the cache, but used the date of when they logged, they could easily have it appear they found 1000 caches on one day, although in reality they didn't and the caches were found over, likely, several weeks while they were travelling. I personally don't like this practice, as it is better for the CO to know what day they found it.

Edited by Goldenwattle
16 minutes ago, Team Christiansen said:

Check this out -- according to Project-GC's statistics section, one cacher reported 5578 finds in one day.

5b46caaf6284a_Mostinaday.thumb.PNG.3aed9f1172def757ceb23497dd7f0672.PNG

Wow I get tired when I find 10 in a day, my best was 32+ the + being I signed several that I did not quite qualify for.

Looking at his finds he cached only two days after that day.  

8 hours ago, Team Christiansen said:

Check this out -- according to Project-GC's statistics section, one cacher reported 5578 finds in one day.

5b46caaf6284a_Mostinaday.thumb.PNG.3aed9f1172def757ceb23497dd7f0672.PNG

There was a thread awhile back that showed a user that had found over 22,000 caches in a week.  Typically when seeing a really high daily find count it usually involves one or more power trails and some creative ways of "finding" the caches.  Logging a lot of finds on caches found on multiple days but using the same found it date is simply lazy logging .  

I had not noticed that the date could be changed on the entry screen, then again I didn't try. I did think of when getting several caches in one day ( my best so far is 9) to log one each day  to show a streak, but that isn't an accurate picture either. So, I guess if I find one log today, that is what I log. Maybe there should be a category for "Caches I considered looking for today",  that would probably show my highest stat!

2 hours ago, on4bam said:

Such a high number probably means it's done the same way Santa drops gifts all around the world in one day. And we all know how Santa works, right? :ph34r:

Yep, it's possible to find hundreds in a single day on one of the trails of fungible film canisters without anything that is possibly questionable (solo, signing every log, replacing every cache as found). Finding thousands (and tens of thousands) in a day starts to involve some questionable techniques (e.g., three cache monte and/or divide-and-conquer techniques).

There are strings of caches, called power trails, placed for the sole purpose of racking up numbers. They are usually always traditional microcaches, all the same container, and all hidden the same way to make them easy to retrieve. This allows cache finders to move faster from one to the next. Unfortunately, their presence has also brought about some silliness as well. People want them smilies so bad that they develop goofy ways to say they earned them. Some of these ways (3 cache monty, leap frogging, splitting up the group, etc,,,) are really far fetched and in no way resemble geocaching. Sure, some people are faster/better at finding and logging caches but it's pretty easy to see (1000 caches for example) that they are using some weird method to say they found that number.

And as has been stated, some people get home to log several days of caching but forget to change the dates when they log.

2 hours ago, niraD said:

Yep, it's possible to find hundreds in a single day on one of the trails of fungible film canisters without anything that is possibly questionable (solo, signing every log, replacing every cache as found). Finding thousands (and tens of thousands) in a day starts to involve some questionable techniques (e.g., three cache monte and/or divide-and-conquer techniques).

You can find many in a day but then there's the point where XX*0.1 miles (or XX*161m) becomes more than physically possible, hence the Santa comparison.

14 minutes ago, on4bam said:

You can find many in a day but then there's the point where XX*0.1 miles (or XX*161m) becomes more than physically possible, hence the Santa comparison.

True. But on one of the trails of fungible film canisters, it is definitely possible to find several hundred caches without resorting to questionable techniques. I recall one account from someone who did it solo on a motorcycle (so the three cache monte and the divide-and-conquer techniques were impossible).

And I rather like the Santa analogy for the divide-and-conquer techniques. Too bad he hasn't visited the geocaching.com site for more than a decade. ;)

1 minute ago, Team Christiansen said:
6 minutes ago, niraD said:

But on one of the trails of fungible film canisters, it is definitely possible to find several hundred caches without resorting to questionable techniques.

Several hundred, yes -- but several thousand like those posted above?

I know people who got up to about a thousand using only the three cache monte. I don't consider that geocaching (that whole "return the geocache to its original location" thing), but at least someone on the team handled every film canister. Above that range, and it's likely they used magic reindeer.

I really like that analogy. Can we start using the term "magic reindeer" (or some other Santa Claus concept) to refer to divide-and-conquer techniques?

• Upvote 1

5578 is simply not possible using "standard" methods. That translates to a find roughly every 15 seconds, which is simply not possible without using very non-standard methods (or some kind of laziness/gaming like Bear and Ragged described). I fully expect it was someone gaming the system in order to get on top of this particular stat board.

His finds were the PTs in Nevada 2000+ ET trail and another one.   Magic reindeer indeed, 1 every 15 seconds shheees and over 550 miles  if they traveled 50 mph between caches they would have 7 seconds to make the find sign log and get beck in the car.  What about Bio breaks...

Even 1 every 5 minutes seems particularly difficult in my opinion.

On 7/12/2018 at 10:47 AM, Jayeffel said:

Sorry for punctuation and spelling, missed it when I read over the content. That is what I figured may happen, not sure I could enter that many in one day 

Copy paste, copy paste, copy paste....

I like to write more individual logs for individual caches, even if some are short, such as 'cache and log good', but some people boringly, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste.... Their logs could refer to any, or to none.

18 hours ago, niraD said:

I recall one account from someone who did it solo on a motorcycle (so the three cache monte and the divide-and-conquer techniques were impossible).

I remember that was well.  If I recall I think he had about 850 finds.  I also don't remember seeing that he ever did anything like that again.