Ownership of an archived cache

GC_Diva

Following sequence of actions:

Ground zero was blocked due to nearby road construction
Geocacher "A" wrote note asking owner if construction was still there, no reply
Construction was completed
Geocacher "A" set needs archived log without checking (!)
Reviewer reacted and posted owner warning
Another geocacher "B" finds the container to be in place and cache to be functional, posted a found it in the logbook
Reviewer archives the cache, despite everything being in place and the "found it" in the meantime

Situation: A fully intact cache got archived, Container still in place. Neither owner nor "archive requestor" nor reviewer responeded.

Who is owning the container now, since the owner had abandoned it, despite all warnings and logs. The container is a nice piece of craftmanshop, nothing off the shelf....

1 hour ago, GC_Diva said:

Following sequence of actions:

Ground zero was blocked due to nearby road construction
Geocacher "A" wrote note asking owner if construction was still there, no reply
Construction was completed
Geocacher "A" set needs archived log without checking (!)
Reviewer reacted and posted owner warning
Another geocacher "B" finds the container to be in place and cache to be functional, posted a found it in the logbook
Reviewer archives the cache, despite everything being in place and the "found it" in the meantime

Situation: A fully intact cache got archived, Container still in place. Neither owner nor "archive requestor" nor reviewer responeded.

Who is owning the container now, since the owner had abandoned it, despite all warnings and logs. The container is a nice piece of craftmanshop, nothing off the shelf....

To me this is the correct action. The cache is clearly no longer being maintained. 

What would you say if cacher B did a throw down. Unless cacher B adopts the cache it needs to go away.  

But if the CO is not responding to any communication archival is the ultimate and correct end result. Personally I think a expiration date is warranted by all caches with an easy mechanism to keep them going. Most of the historical caches in my area are maintained by the next cacher, which to me if limited to adding a log or replacing a baggie is no problem.  

3 hours ago, arisoft said:

I posted a needs archive 2 years ago to a multi-cache that the owner has abandoned and the cache position can not be solved because major changes in the evironment.

https://coord.info/GLNNKEJT

The cache is still active and can be found only by asking coordinates from previous finders. How to get rid of the abandoned cache to replace it with a new cache?

Today I retrieved an abandoned and archived cache container. Picking up the geo-litter so to speak. I think this same cleanup might be warranted here. At very least refile the NA log. Problem is folks keep on marking it as Found with no DNFs I suspect. Might want to contact the reviewer directly as the unknown process they follow is obviously not working here. Good luck. 

• Upvote 1

How to get rid of the abandoned cache to replace it with a new cache?

It seems from other posts you've made that the Finnish reviewers sometimes work to their own rulebook. If you genuinely think this one should be archived and the reviewer has ignored the NA logs then report it to HQ via the Contact Us link on the cache pages, they may intervene.

• Upvote 2

I posted a needs archive 2 years ago to a multi-cache that the owner has abandoned and the cache position can not be solved because major changes in the evironment.

The cache is still active and can be found only by asking coordinates from previous finders. How to get rid of the abandoned cache to replace it with a new cache?

I see the problem, it's an old cache, 2004. I wish you luck with a second NA (probably better to report it to GCHQ). It does seem that many reviewers are reluctant to archive a listing that's reached the age of 10 years or older. 

46 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

I see the problem, it's an old cache, 2004. I wish you luck with a second NA (probably better to report it to GCHQ). It does seem that many reviewers are reluctant to archive a listing that's reached the age of 10 years or older. 

Unmaintained is unmaintained.

I wish the COs of these caches who wish to get out of the game or unable to participate any more would offer up their good caches for adoption. Keep them going. 

12 hours ago, arisoft said:

A bit of a mystery why it still exists. The CO has not logged a find in 6 years and their other caches have a mass of red wrenches so it seems extremely unlikely that the situation will be remedied.

• Upvote 1
On 7/11/2018 at 8:01 AM, J Grouchy said:

It never fails to amaze me how the simplest communication can mean the difference between active and archived.  Active COs are constantly failing to understand this.

That being said, if it's still there, it can still be logged unless the reviewer locks it.

^ This, although I agree with @MNTA and if I find a cache in the wilderness that's archived, then I remove it. I contact the owner and ask them if they want their cache container returned, and if they do I'll get it to them.

Otherwise it's litter that's been left in the woods to decompose. I did something similar a few months back with GC26C92 The Juneau Totem Pole Safari, which had been archived for similar reasons as @arisoft is noting; namely the removal of structures that are key to locating the final. 

• Upvote 1