Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
The Snowdog

Souvenir for International Geocaching Day 2018

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:54 AM, The Snowdog said:

Will there be one? Just curious.

We haven't heard anything official from HQ yet, but there has been a souvenir for every International Geocaching Day since its inception in 2011, so I fully expect there will be one for this year too.

If you haven't already, then you may want to accept emails from geocaching.com - which is where souvenirs are typically announced.

Settings -> Email Preferences  ...  Newsletter  and  Educational and Promotional

And it has been announced! Saturday August 18, 2018

5 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

And it has been announced! Saturday August 18, 2018

I just received the email. Do you purchase this souvenir after finding a cache? Wasn't sure how this works.

Posted (edited)

You earn the souvenirs. They are free digital rewards if you complete the requirement. Easy peasy!

Just like the Hidden Creatures souvenirs you earned this past month (I checked your profile). The Intl Geocaching Day souvenir only requires ONE log, though!

Edited by Max and 99

18 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

You earn the souvenirs. They are free digital rewards if you complete the requirement. Easy peasy!

Just like the Hidden Creatures souvenirs you earned this past month (I checked your profile). The Intl Geocaching Day souvenir only requires ONE log, though!

Thank you-I understand now.  The coin is so pretty, though. I was hoping I could buy a real one. : )  But...I was hoping for a real Kraken, too. Guess I will have to settle for virtual. : )

You can buy a coin if you want. I just saw them on Shop Geocaching.

45 minutes ago, BugLuv said:

I just received the email. Do you purchase this souvenir after finding a cache? Wasn't sure how this works.

Souvenirs appear on your user profile.  You can see the souvenir page of your profile  HERE.

15 minutes ago, BugLuv said:

Thank you-I understand now.  The coin is so pretty, though. I was hoping I could buy a real one. : )  But...I was hoping for a real Kraken, too. Guess I will have to settle for virtual. : )

You could purchase physical items at Shop Geocaching:   2018 International Geocaching Day geocoin   &    Hidden Creatures Items

Well in anticipation I already had an event scheduled for that day :) Happy International Geocaching Day!

earn't mine yesterday ?

but its not showing up on my profile ?

when will it be added , as I see others have it on their profiles already 

Gold Star Congratulations, you have earned a souvenir!Learn more or View Profile.

International Geocaching Day 2018
Happy International Geocaching Day! This special day is celebrated by geocachers worldwide every third Saturday of August. You earned this souvenir by finding a cache or attending an event on August 18, 2018!

3 hours ago, little-leggs said:

earn't mine yesterday ?

That's weird.  Of four on that cache yesterday, only one has the souvenir.

On 8/19/2018 at 12:22 PM, little-leggs said:

earn't mine yesterday ?

Seattle has been awake for some time now, but still no souvenir on your profile. Will you let us know when it arrives?

On 8/19/2018 at 10:22 AM, little-leggs said:

earn't mine yesterday ?

Gold Star Congratulations, you have earned a souvenir!Learn more or View Profile.

Happy International Geocaching Day! This special day is celebrated by geocachers worldwide every third Saturday of August. You earned this souvenir by finding a cache or attending an event on August 18, 2018!

Did you submit your log via the app or via the website?  And what time of day did you submit it?

I'm wondering if this is a time zone problem, especially if submitting via the app - which seems to set the log timestamp even further back than if submitting via the website.

My suggestion would be to copy your log text, delete your log, then re-log a Found for that cache via the website (where you can set the 'date logged' to 8/18).  That should get you your souvenir.

I got mine when I logged a mega on Saturday.  (And, oddly, two different souvenirs for the same mega event - same icon, different description.)

7 hours ago, hzoi said:

I got mine when I logged a mega on Saturday.  (And, oddly, two different souvenirs for the same mega event - same icon, different description.)

That is odd.  Two identical image souvenirs for attending a single Mega-event.