Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
JR8784

A bit disappointed in people who take TB's and dont move them

Recommended Posts

I have been caching for a few months and I will admit, after finding my first travel bug, I started focusing on geocaches that have travel bugs/coins listed as being placed there. I think the idea of trackables are fun and I love seeing where/how far they go. I even created my own cache to serve as a TB hotel to move along all the TB's I find. Wow...reading that kinda makes me sound a little nuts...

However, I am noticing a really sad trend. Although I have been Geocaching for only 4 months, I am noticing so many trackables go missing! Hell, I went to a geocache while traveling for work that had 30 TB's/coins in it. AWESOME! I go there....it has 2....freaking 2!

Who doesn't log these things? I dont get it! I release 2 travel bugs and both have gone missing before they even logged 1 mile!

How can this be fixed? Or am i just preaching to the choir? I cant be the only one who feels this way.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, JR8784 said:
How can this be fixed? Or am i just preaching to the choir? I cant be the only one who feels this way.

There are many threads lamenting missing and/or stolen and/or mis-logged trackables.  It has been going on since the beginning of trackables.

 

Some have posited that putting TB's only into PMO caches is helpful, but even that is no guarantee.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

:D  No offense, but folks are just as upset of COs hoarding trackables just to dump 'em in their own caches. 

 

We have a free app that allows others to "play" without having any knowledge of how the hobby's played, much less a vested interest.

 Those people may grab the trackable as the treasure in this "real world treasure hunt", and head home after their one weekend of fun.

 - Though many already know that a premium membership doesn't make one more honest, or trustworthy ... and if so many incorrect logs are an indication, knowledgeable either.  ;)

 

I'd be willing to bet a lot of the Beanie Boo plushes got grabbed by a child when mom or dad weren't looking. 

 - Folks send out a toy, then wonder why it's nabbed...

Maybe at least the "tag" will make it back into a cache if the parents ever notice.   :)

 

Edited by cerberus1
spllellinng
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, JR8784 said:
 

How can this be fixed? Or am i just preaching to the choir? I cant be the only one who feels this way.

 

Sorry for your loss, JR8784. You might want to read through the suggestions in this thread. They helped me quite a bit.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Here in the forum, you're preaching to the choir. If we could somehow reach the "unwashed masses" with the message, it'd help. But those who read the forum are usually those who know how to treat TBs.

 

My first TB went missing out of the first cache I placed it in. A few months later, it resurfaced - without the flexible plastic bracelet, just the TB tag. I was glad to get THAT back at least! I attached a new item to it (this time, a few links from an old bicycle chain - not at all attractive. It's happily still traveling around in Europe.

 

16 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

:D  No offense, but folks are just as upset of COs hoarding trackables just to dump 'em in their own caches. 

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. People get much more upset about them disappearing than about someone putting them in their own cache. At least then they're still moving. :)

Share this post


Link to post

I keep a separate "bug box" in all my caches that are large enough. One of my caches is most frequented by very new cachers. After some TB disappearances, I put instructions in the bug box. It's possible the thrill of finding a cache had them completely overlook that very prominent note. Still another disappeared. I finally took the bug box out of that cache and put a large note on the cache description warning folks not to leave TBs in that cache. :(

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

We have a free app that allows others to "play" without having any knowledge of how the hobby's played, much less a vested interest.

 Those people may grab the trackable as the treasure in this "real world treasure hunt", and head home after their one weekend of fun.

 - Though many already know that a premium membership doesn't make one more honest, or trustworthy ... and if so many incorrect logs are an indication, knowledgeable either.  ;)

I think the idea about PMO caches is not about PM making people more honest or trustworthy, but about keeping trackables out of caches that the "one weekend of fun" cachers are finding.

If cachers that get the free app and go out for a day or two don't pay for PM, then they aren't finding PMO (or even 'Advanced') caches - so, if TB's are placed only in PMO ('or even 'Advanced') caches, then those 'fly by night' cachers won't get to them.

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, noncentric said:

 

If cachers that get the free app and go out for a day or two don't pay for PM, then they aren't finding PMO (or even 'Advanced') caches - so, if TB's are placed only in PMO ('or even 'Advanced') caches, then those 'fly by night' cachers won't get to them.

 

I've found that observation to hold true in our area; if nothing else it somewhat reduces the probability of disappearing simply by reducing the number of players.

Share this post


Link to post

I consider carefully where I drop off TBs. Cache big enough, dry and away from muggle areas, but visited enough (I don't want the TB sitting there for months or years). This doesn't always guarantee the TB won't go missing, but at least it increases the odds the TB will be safe. I now also look for caches less likely to be visited by newbies after having newbies pick up the TB and the TB never being heard from again (Geocaching was fun for 'five minutes'; not interested now). However this does not always work. Newbies sometimes 'frustratingly' get around. An example, I placed a TB in a cache beside a dirt side road a little out of the way. The cache was visited once or twice a month so enough visits. A new geocacher turned up and took the TB saying that they would move it to a 'more suitable' cache than this out of the way cache.  'Oh NO!', I thought when I read the log. Not only did their arrogance annoy me; with very few finds they 'knew' better than me what a suitable cache was, but I feared where they would put the TB. Yep! They placed it in a very visible cache on a busy path. TB disappeared almost instantly and has never been heard from again. (I resisted the very strong urge to message them about their arrogant stupidity.)

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

I consider carefully where I drop off TBs. Cache big enough, dry and away from muggle areas, but visited enough (I don't want the TB sitting there for months or years). This doesn't always guarantee the TB won't go missing, but at least it increases the odds the TB will be safe. I now also look for caches less likely to be visited by newbies after having newbies pick up the TB and the TB never being heard from again (Geocaching was fun for 'five minutes'; not interested now). However this does not always work. Newbies sometimes 'frustratingly' get around. An example, I placed a TB in a cache beside a dirt side road a little out of the way. The cache was visited once or twice a month so enough visits. A new geocacher turned up and took the TB saying that they would move it to a 'more suitable' cache than this out of the way cache.  'Oh NO!', I thought when I read the log. Not only did their arrogance annoy me; with very few finds they 'knew' better than me what a suitable cache was, but I feared where they would put the TB. Yep! They placed it in a very visible cache on a busy path. TB disappeared almost instantly and has never been heard from again. (I resisted the very strong urge to message them about their arrogant stupidity.)

 

Good on you for your TB stewardship. Things that happen like this make me start talking in pirate: arrrgh!

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Goldenwattle said:

 A new geocacher turned up and took the TB saying that they would move it to a 'more suitable' cache than this out of the way cache.  'Oh NO!', I thought when I read the log. Not only did their arrogance annoy me; with very few finds they 'knew' better than me what a suitable cache was, but I feared where they would put the TB. Yep! They placed it in a very visible cache on a busy path. TB disappeared almost instantly and has never been heard from again.

That is funny!

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, TriciaG said:

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. People get much more upset about them disappearing than about someone putting them in their own cache. At least then they're still moving. :)

 

In a couple states I'm watching, "TB Hotel" owners are grabbing every trackable they can find, then dumping them in their cache.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has seen more issues with people centering on those "hotels" than other size-appropriate caches.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, noncentric said:

I think the idea about PMO caches is not about PM making people more honest or trustworthy, but about keeping trackables out of caches that the "one weekend of fun" cachers are finding.

If cachers that get the free app and go out for a day or two don't pay for PM, then they aren't finding PMO (or even 'Advanced') caches - so, if TB's are placed only in PMO ('or even 'Advanced') caches, then those 'fly by night' cachers won't get to them.

 

Maybe some might remember a promotion where basic members were given a temp pm for it.  Brand-new people world-wide with a pm.

If the candy shop in Getting Started is an indication, word's out.  ;)

 

Odd that the biggest trackable hoarders over the years have been premium members isn't it ?  :)

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Odd that the biggest trackable hoarders over the years have been premium members isn't it ?  :)

 

The cachers with a Profile that proudly says, “We carry around 100 Trackables at any given time!”

And when you ask if they will please set yours free, they can't manage to let it go. Or they make you regret you ever asked, “Just for that, we're doing X”. They were doing you a huge favor, and you don't appreciate the favor, so take that! That's worse than having it “vanish”. Because it's weird.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/9/2018 at 8:24 PM, noncentric said:

I think the idea about PMO caches is not about PM making people more honest or trustworthy, but about keeping trackables out of caches that the "one weekend of fun" cachers are finding.

If cachers that get the free app and go out for a day or two don't pay for PM, then they aren't finding PMO (or even 'Advanced') caches - so, if TB's are placed only in PMO ('or even 'Advanced') caches, then those 'fly by night' cachers won't get to them.

 

I made one of mine PMO as part of a plan.  This was next to a soccer field where bored kids install the Treasure App and then go pokey all the treasure out of the cache. As a PMO, it became a super quiet cache, and finders always found it intact and in place. Non-PMO, it was gone, or at least a mess.

 

OK, sure, I archived it because the hide style was not to be published and the PM cachers couldn't keep their mouths shut :rolleyes:.  "Poked around that tree with my hiking stick until I hit metal!  Yay!  TFTC!"

 

Edited by kunarion

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/10/2018 at 3:38 PM, cerberus1 said:

Brand-new people world-wide with a pm.

If the candy shop in Getting Started is an indication, word's out.

Does anyone actually pay up & join either without a free trial (like I did) or after trying it out.  Would be interesting to see the percentage conversion rate of the triallers.  Endless requests for a freebie are met with generosity.  But that generosity to the masses seems to me to be spoiling the hobby for those of us who want to be a bit more serious about being part of a "respectful of our fellow players" community.

 

I still find it hard to believe that there are few people who really cannot afford the modest joining fee.  How many other hobbies can you participate in for such little outlay.  The world & his dog has a mobile phone these days so you don't even need to invest in a dedicated gps.  My find total to date means each cache has cost me 18 pence & that is only over 6.5 months.  What else can give so much enjoyment for 18 pence?

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, grimpil said:

Would be interesting to see the percentage conversion rate of the triallers. 

 

I still find it hard to believe that there are few people who really cannot afford the modest joining fee.  How many other hobbies can you participate in for such little outlay.  The world & his dog has a mobile phone these days so you don't even need to invest in a dedicated gps.  My find total to date means each cache has cost me 18 pence & that is only over 6.5 months.  What else can give so much enjoyment for 18 pence?

 

Must work out better than without, or that would have ended.  Been a year now.

 

My hunting license is more than yearly membership here.  Most seasons less than six months.:)

 - But I know families that are living pretty-much paycheck-to-paycheck, and something as simple as issues with the car/water heater could eat whatever savings they have.

 

That mobile phone has a monthly payment doesn't it?     Does that 25 cents per cache include your monthly payment on top of your premium payment? 

My handheld GPSr costs around $250. bucks in '05.   The other 2/3rds latest phone costs around a grand, and that's a new phone every three years or so now.  I'd think phones and their costs should be included too. 

Please explain that quarter.  Thanks.  :D

Share this post


Link to post

My £70 gps was originally an investment (actually a gift) to aid my main interest of hiking, so that asset cost is already written off.  I have a cheap mobile phone on PAYG - can use wifi & gps freely so spend less than £5 per year on top ups & as it was bought outright there is no monthly cost.  No intention of upgrading either as both do what they need to do without bells & whistles.  So there is no ongoing additional cost as such & as my only income is a basic state pension I find hobbies like hiking & geocaching are perfectly affordable.  It is surprising what is possible when you have to live within your means & refuse to be pressured to have the latest gadgets & gizmos because the basics do what is claimed on the tin.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, grimpil said:

Does anyone actually pay up & join either without a free trial (like I did) or after trying it out.  Would be interesting to see the percentage conversion rate of the triallers.  Endless requests for a freebie are met with generosity.  But that generosity to the masses seems to me to be spoiling the hobby for those of us who want to be a bit more serious about being part of a "respectful of our fellow players" community.

 

I still find it hard to believe that there are few people who really cannot afford the modest joining fee.  How many other hobbies can you participate in for such little outlay.  The world & his dog has a mobile phone these days so you don't even need to invest in a dedicated gps.  My find total to date means each cache has cost me 18 pence & that is only over 6.5 months.  What else can give so much enjoyment for 18 pence?

In Australia most people appear to be premium members from the start. I am amazed when a person with single figure finds logs my cache and they are already a premium member, but this is most of them.

Share this post


Link to post

In Australia most people appear to be premium members from the start. I am amazed when a person with single figure finds logs my cache and they are already a premium member, but this is most of them.

Is the Aussie caching scene more community spirited & less about "me & what I can get for nothing"?  Hope to get out there again one day so will be bringing my gps!

Share this post


Link to post
On 14/07/2018 at 11:26 AM, Goldenwattle said:

In Australia most people appear to be premium members from the start. I am amazed when a person with single figure finds logs my cache and they are already a premium member, but this is most of them.

That's pretty much my perception too.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1

×