List download to Garmin

winer0545

For the last several weeks I have been unable to download a list of caches  to my Garmin GPS.  I keep getting the message "Request error:  There is a problem with the content being sent. Try sending the content again." The same message is displayed every time and for all lists.  I believe Garmin Express is up to date but I'm unsure if the "up to date" message refers to Garmin Express or the dashboard associated with my Garmin Oregon 650.  The software version that is "up to date" is 5.03.  The workaround is to download each gpx file manually, but I would prefer to download an entire list.  Suggestions?

40 minutes ago, winer0545 said:

For the last several weeks I have been unable to download a list of caches  to my Garmin GPS.  I keep getting the message "Request error:  There is a problem with the content being sent. Try sending the content again." The same message is displayed every time and for all lists.  I believe Garmin Express is up to date but I'm unsure if the "up to date" message refers to Garmin Express or the dashboard associated with my Garmin Oregon 650.  The software version that is "up to date" is 5.03.  The workaround is to download each gpx file manually, but I would prefer to download an entire list.  Suggestions?

After reading posts like this around here, I tried it.  I usually just run a Pocket Query or two instead.  Pocket Queries require no plugins, no extra software, so if you're asking for suggestions, there ya go. :)

I got the same error as you did.  I "updated" Garmin Express, and still had errors.  Then I deleted Garmin Express from Windows, and installed the new 6.6.0.0, and now downloads work fine.

Garmin Express's friendly message that "You're up to date!" is a message about the currently connected GPS and its software.  It has nothing to do with whether or not Garmin Express is up to date.

Edited by kunarion
On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:58 PM, kunarion said:

After reading posts like this around here, I tried it.  I usually just run a Pocket Query or two instead.  Pocket Queries require no plugins, no extra software, so if you're asking for suggestions, there ya go. :)

I got the same error as you did.  I "updated" Garmin Express, and still had errors.  Then I deleted Garmin Express from Windows, and installed the new 6.6.0.0, and now downloads work fine.

Garmin Express's friendly message that "You're up to date!" is a message about the currently connected GPS and its software.  It has nothing to do with whether or not Garmin Express is up to date.

I followed your instructions and did exactly as you said. But it still says plug in not detected. I checked my computer files and it says Garmin Express 6.6.0.0. I don't get it. I use a Garmin eTrex. And I can't use pocket queries because you have to pay for special software to be downloaded to your computer. Any other suggestions?

27 minutes ago, Six-legged Duo said:

I followed your instructions and did exactly as you said. But it still says plug in not detected. I checked my computer files and it says Garmin Express 6.6.0.0. I don't get it. I use a Garmin eTrex. And I can't use pocket queries because you have to pay for special software to be downloaded to your computer. Any other suggestions?

Are you a Premium Member?  If so, you're all paid up.  Make a Pocket Query, run it, download & unzip it, save to Garmin/GPX.  There's a learning curve, but there are a lot of tutorials around.  Once you get it figured out, you won't want to bother with a "plug in". :)

Here's an overview of Pocket Queries with links.

I hope you can eventually get "Garmin Express" working without errors.  That's what Garmin uses to send GPS software updates.  At that point, Lists should work.

Important:  If you tried to click "Send To GPS" (NOT to be confused with "Send To Garmin"), there's your problem.  Use "Send To Garmin" with Lists you make.  Lists are pretty cool, and can be used along with Pocket Queries or instead of them.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Six-legged Duo said:

And I can't use pocket queries because you have to pay for special software to be downloaded to your computer.

Your forum avatar shows that you're a premium member so you have access to pocket queries.     When creating a pocket query it will, by default, create the results as a "zip" file (containing two gpx files).   I wouldn't consider an application which handles zip files to be special software and there are plenty of free alternatives that will do so.  Waypoint managers such as EasyGPS (for Windows) or Basecamp (Windows or Mac) are free and  will extract the GPX data from a "zipped" pocket query file.

Windows 10 can unzip in a couple of different ways.  "Unzip" is built-in.

Some other software automatically installs 7-Zip or "WinZip" or something. Most people can remove the hitchhikers and use the Windows built-in Zip function just fine.

Edited by kunarion
24 minutes ago, Six-legged Duo said:

I followed your instructions and did exactly as you said. But it still says plug in not detected. I checked my computer files and it says Garmin Express 6.6.0.0. I don't get it. I use a Garmin eTrex.

Curious, how have you been loading caches lately?  

Are you  using the  Send to Garmin?    I don't remember seeing a "plug in not detected" like the old "send to gps" thing used to say, when CJ tried that. 

It was supposedly a teaching moment ;-) and I really tried to mess things up to understand these issues better.   ;)

You don't say what model etrex,  but could it be it's not compatible any longer?  Many older models aren't.

PQs do seem to be the way to go for bulk loading,  or you could load them manually like I still do.    :)

11 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Curious, how have you been loading caches lately?  

Are you  using the  Send to Garmin?    I don't remember seeing a "plug in not detected" like the old "send to gps" thing used to say, when CJ tried that. 

It was supposedly a teaching moment ;-) and I really tried to mess things up to understand these issues better.   ;)

You don't say what model etrex,  but could it be it's not compatible any longer?  Many older models aren't.

PQs do seem to be the way to go for bulk loading,  or you could load them manually like I still do.    :)

I suspected that Six-legged Duo might have clicked "Send To GPS", which requires a special plug-in.  "Send To GPS" is going away fast.  I read that Firefox intends to remove this type of function in the middle of August, from its Admin version.  Several web browsers have killed it already.  Let's keep spreading the word:  If "Send To GPS" is not working for you, and if you're not great at researching and messing with software settings (or if you don't really know the reasons NOT to use deprecated plug-ins), don't bother with "Send To GPS", use some of the excellent alternatives.  Folks who are a whiz at this stuff wouldn't need to ask how to fix it. :D

Edited by kunarion
2 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Let's keep spreading the word:  If "Send To GPS" is not working for you, and if you're not great at researching and messing with software settings (or if you don't really know all the reasons NOT to use deprecated plug-ins), don't bother with "Send To GPS", use some of the excellent alternatives. 

One of the most confusing things lately for many (besides trackable "collectible/not...").    :)

Summertime and folks asking the same questions as last year...

When a "replacement" was presented  because of it,  a little surprised it's still listed on cache pages and the Help Center. 

18 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

That was my thought too. If it's one of the older eTrex (e.g. "yellow" eTrex), then it probably won't work with Garmin Express. Unfortunately, I can't find anywhere that lists the models that are compatible either in the Help Center or on the Garmin site.

13 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

If it's one of the older eTrex (e.g. "yellow" eTrex), then it probably won't work with Garmin Express. Unfortunately, I can't find anywhere that lists the models that are compatible either in the Help Center or on the Garmin site.

That would be a shame.  If a cacher is beyond typing a cache or two manually, and the device is no longer supported by a PC or by site software, now we're closer to the arena of "paying extra for special software".  Or upgrading to a modern device.  So there are decisions to make.  If Six-legged Duo has been using the same GPS since 2005, that may explain why it's getting hard to load.  Everything else gets "updated" and the old perfectly functioning devices are left behind.

I think EasyGPS can send files to older units (it's free, but there's a more powerful for-pay version).  "GSAK" is another option and that one supports a lot of GPS units, I don't know how far back.

The best way I've seen to tell what doesn't work with what (or how to set it up so it does), is to specify exactly what the device is and the problem.  I'm sure someone around here has tried everything already.  That's a way to find out what to try next.

Edited by kunarion
16 hours ago, kunarion said:

I think EasyGPS can send files to older units (it's free, but there's a more powerful for-pay version).  "GSAK" is another option and that one supports a lot of GPS units, I don't know how far back.

I downloaded EasyGPS in 2006 (before I owned a GPS) and started using it in 2007 to transfer PQ results to a Garmin 76Cx.  I also bought ExpertGPS (before the price went up).

I updated Garmin Express, and that solved the "Send to Garmin" error I was having. I didn't uninstall Express. I just updated it from within the program (click on the settings gear icon, select "About", and click on "Check for Updates to Express".

I can now send lists to my Garmin without problems. 

Next I'll explore the Pocket Query functions. Those sound interesting.

Thanks to all for your help

I have had to use Garmin base camp. The other instructions as follows. Good luck

To transfer geocaches:

1 Sign in to your premium account on www.geocaching.com

2 Search for a geocache, and add it to a list

3 Add more geocaches to your list if desired

4  Go to your My Listspage

5 Connect the device to the computer

6  On your lists page, click  to the right of the desired list, and choose Send to Garmin

7  The web browser may ask permission to open Garmin Express, allow it to do this

8 Express will confirm that you want to download this content from geocaching.com, selectDownload

9  If you have multiple compatible devices, Express will list all of them

10         Click   next to the device you want to send to.

When the Installation complete message displays, the list of caches has been successfully installed and the device can be safely disconnected from the computer. Use BaseCamp to remove unwanted caches from your device.

A video on how to perform this action can also be found on a Geocaching.com blog.

3 hours ago, bjjack said:

I have had to use Garmin base camp. The other instructions as follows. Good luck

To transfer geocaches:

1 Sign in to your premium account on www.geocaching.com

2 Search for a geocache, and add it to a list

3 Add more geocaches to your list if desired

4  Go to your My Listspage

5 Connect the device to the computer

6  On your lists page, click  to the right of the desired list, and choose Send to Garmin

7  The web browser may ask permission to open Garmin Express, allow it to do this

8 Express will confirm that you want to download this content from geocaching.com, selectDownload

9  If you have multiple compatible devices, Express will list all of them

10         Click   next to the device you want to send to.

When the Installation complete message displays, the list of caches has been successfully installed and the device can be safely disconnected from the computer. Use BaseCamp to remove unwanted caches from your device.

A video on how to perform this action can also be found on a Geocaching.com blog.

To do this without Basecamp, remove unwanted caches from the List before sending it. Remove old Lists and other GPX files from the GPS by navigating to the folder Garmin/GPS.

Edited by kunarion