Can I create an event and not be there?

georunner912

Can you do that?  Yes.  Should you do that?  Probably not.

In general, the Host(ess) is expected to be there to make sure that things run smoothly.  Things like reserving a room at a restaurant, or securing a picnic table and grill in a park, are common expectations from both the Community and Reviewers.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

We've been to a couple events where the EO didn't show, and folks were standing around wondering what the heck.

Most were "meet the folks from (pick a country/state)" events though, who didn't get there when they thought they should

- We didn't  log 'em and skip those now.

We did attend one that turned out the EO's daughter had a baby. :)

Wanna get your name around (not in a nice way) ? 

- Though folks around long enough know how to fend for themselves, realize some may change schedules or skip family engagements to attend an event.

Once word gets out you weren't there, expect a few more attended.  :D

8 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

We've been to a couple events where the EO didn't show, and folks were standing around wondering what the heck.

Most were "meet the folks from (pick a country/state)" events though, who didn't get there when they thought they should

I posted a "Will Attend" log for an event cache in Cancun a couple of years ago when I saw that it was going to occur the same time as when I had an overnight layover on the way to Cuba.  The Event creator sent me a message the day before indicating that his flight had been cancelled and that he wouldn't make it.  Since I had been the only person to post a "Will Attend" he cancelled the event an retracted the listing (I didn't know one could do that).   

I suppose if someone wanted to increase their hider stats they could create event caches all over the world but never attend any of them.  

I don't see the purpose of "hosting" an event without being there yourself. Of course, things can change after the event was published (illness, not getting there) but you can then still cancel in advance.

Out of the 4 "events" we've created there were 2 where we were the only ones there. They were created to meet other geocachers while on holiday. A few people showed up in Greenland, 1 US couple showed up in the Galapagos but they had to rush to get back to their group in time. The two other times (also Galapagos but different islands) we were the only ones there which I think is the bare minimum (EO should be there).

BTW, I plan 2 events of "meet the Belgians" later in the year (Ushuaia and Falkland Islands). Still have to decide day/time on both.

On 7/8/2018 at 9:48 PM, Popcornfan2 said:

I am wondering if I can create an event but not be there, does anyone know if I can do that?

Things happen in life, and if some contingency came up, I would understand if an event host couldn't show up at their own event.  But if they organized the event with the express intent of not being there, I think it'd be pretty rude.