Displaying Geocoins?

MommaLogan

Most we know simply have those large coin books with inserts, though pretty-much anything a "coin collector" would use will work.

We both use them for storage, not for "display".

The other 2/3rds has over 280 last I checked, and I have around a hundred uncirculated, so anything on the wall or similar display would look kinda weird (to us).

-   maybe if it were the only hobby we have it'd be different...  :)

9 hours ago, Logan_Clan said:

Want to show off how you display your coins? I need some ideas!

Would you custom build it?  I see some decent coin displays, but "Geocoins" are all different shapes and sizes.

7022174947c4653603c398828ec375eb--challenge-coin-display-challenge-coins.jpg

71l7JWrRkhL__SL1025_.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by kunarion
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, kunarion said:

Would you custom build it?  I see some decent coin displays, but "Geocoins" are all different shapes and sizes.

7022174947c4653603c398828ec375eb--challenge-coin-display-challenge-coins.jpg

71l7JWrRkhL__SL1025_.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

These are great ideas! I love the middle box. I think I am going to see what I can find to buy that looks like that. Thank you!

5 hours ago, noncentric said:

I didn't get a lot of results doing an image search for "geocoin display", but got more results searching for "challenge coin display".  Geocoins are based on military challenge coins that pre-date geocaching.

I did know that, but I didn't think to search that. Thank you!!

1 hour ago, Logan_Clan said:

These are great ideas! I love the middle box. I think I am going to see what I can find to buy that looks like that. Thank you!

Those were all "challenge coin" displays.  Challenge coins are various sizes and thicknesses, but usually round "coins", so they're more likely to all fit in the same kind of stand.  Geocoins tend to be diverse in shapes and sizes.

Look for "shadow boxes" in craft shops.  You can compare box and shelf sizes, to see what would hold a variety of coins, at least coins you currently have.  Once you know what you're looking for, shop around.

Edited by kunarion

All of my geocoins, of various shapes, are in those plastic flip holders - so I've thought about getting stretching some wire between two sides of a shadow box and then hanging the plastic flip holders over that wire.  Similar to hanging a towel over a towel bar.

Presumably, since I haven't tried it yet, I could get a few rows of wire and have a few rows of coins displayed this way.  Not sure how it would look, but will hopefully find some time to get around to creating it and trying it out one of these days.

49 minutes ago, mo pirate said:

I made this one for my vintage gas pump collection.

vintage gas pumps.jpg

I didn't know if I should mention all them little drilled magnetic coins all the same size, whatever they're called. :ph34r:

But I've seen finished wooden boards in various styles, usually homemade, drilled so that these coins inset into the board.  In the center of each indentation is a magnet to hold the coin.  If a collector has various Geocoins that are all round "coins", they might do something similar, but drill as necessary for each different diameter.  I have several multi-part 3-dimensional large Geocoins that I don't even know how I'd "display".  Maybe individually in a clear acrylic box.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, noncentric said:

All of my geocoins, of various shapes, are in those plastic flip holders - so I've thought about getting stretching some wire between two sides of a shadow box and then hanging the plastic flip holders over that wire.  Similar to hanging a towel over a towel bar.

This is a very important thing to consider, because special information is in those coin flips, such as activation codes.  I often don't "activate" my Geocoins, but I might want to display them.  I'd have to at least have a way to associate each coin flip with its coin.  It would be cool if they could be hung up so the whole thing stays intact.