Last Visit?

Inmountains

Sometimes I check a user's profile who just found one of my caches.  And sometimes, their last 'visit' was months ago yet they have a found log on my cache today.  So my question is, if they are logging the finds using a third party app, such as cachly, is that not registered as a "visit?"  While not very important, I would think a found log, no matter how it is registered, would be considered a 'visit' to the Geocaching.com website?!

The question becomes, of what possible use is the last visit date on a cacher’s profile?  Is anybody interested in when somebody last visited the website?  I’m sure most people looking at this field are interested in any Geocaching activity.  A last log date, say, would be far more useful.

• Upvote 3
On 7/9/2018 at 6:54 AM, IceColdUK said:

The question becomes, of what possible use is the last visit date on a cacher’s profile?  Is anybody interested in when somebody last visited the website?  I’m sure most people looking at this field are interested in any Geocaching activity.  A last log date, say, would be far more useful.

I think a good use of the last visit date is to see if a cacher is still active. I have seen enough caches that have been neglected and in need of maintenance but the cache owner hasn't visited in over a year...or two...or three. Even the last log date is deceptive. For example, I recently looked for a cache and had to log a DNF and mentioned that the CO hadn't logged on in over 1.5 years. Then just days later, the cache owner posted a maintenance log but his profile shows his last visit as Jan 24, 2017. Perhaps a glitch in the system?  

2 hours ago, JeepGPS said:

I think a good use of the last visit date is to see if a cacher is still active. I have seen enough caches that have been neglected and in need of maintenance but the cache owner hasn't visited in over a year...or two...or three. Even the last log date is deceptive. For example, I recently looked for a cache and had to log a DNF and mentioned that the CO hadn't logged on in over 1.5 years. Then just days later, the cache owner posted a maintenance log but his profile shows his last visit as Jan 24, 2017. Perhaps a glitch in the system?  

That depends on how you define "glitch".

As has been explained in this thread, the Last Visited date counts only visits to the web site. But it is perfectly possible to read the copies of logs sent to cache owners via email, and it is also possible to post logs without using the web site.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, niraD said:

That depends on how you define "glitch".

As has been explained in this thread, the Last Visited date counts only visits to the web site. But it is perfectly possible to read the copies of logs sent to cache owners via email, and it is also possible to post logs without using the web site.

I would call this a bug, and not a "glitch" ;) . It would be easy to update the "Last Visit" date of a user account whenever they access the database via the API (which is what smartphone apps do). As it is now, the "Last Visit" info is more or less meaningless.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, JeepGPS said:

It really doesn't matter if the CO was online for a year or not. Geocaching has some build-in procedures for special situations. 

If you can't find a cache log a DNF or NM, if there are several DNF / NM already and there is no response from the CO log a NA.  The rest is up to the reviewer.

If you log a DNF and the CO logs a Owner Maintenance, perfect.  Why would I care about "last visit", quite obviously he took care of the cache.

From my point of view, looking at "last visit", " cache audit logs " and similar information is "unwanted or repeated surveillance by an individual towards another person".

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Mausebiber said:

It really doesn't matter if the CO was online for a year or not. Geocaching has some build-in procedures for special situations. 

If you can't find a cache log a DNF or NM, if there are several DNF / NM already and there is no response from the CO log a NA.  The rest is up to the reviewer.

If you log a DNF and the CO logs a Owner Maintenance, perfect.  Why would I care about "last visit", quite obviously he took care of the cache.

From my point of view, looking at "last visit", " cache audit logs " and similar information is "unwanted or repeated surveillance by an individual towards another person".

You’re probably right, but I think the point is that ‘last visit’ is currently of little use.  It should either be corrected or removed.

Edited by IceColdUK