Cache pages, some pointers please. :)

Sirinen

Hello everyone!

Not really sure if this is the right place to put this, but I'll give it a go. :)

I'm kinda new to geocaching, even though I'm not really new to the concept of it. I have known what it is for some years, and have even been a member since 2016, but it's really this summer that I have actively started "caching". :) This weekend I have just hidden my first to caches! I could need som pointers on the cache pages. On both of them I have a picture in the description, but when l go to the description in the app the pictures look contorted. I actually tried changing the size of the image to quite small, but all it did was to make both the web page and the app look weird. In the app is was still contorted, and on the web page it was just a really small picture. So that didn't help... 

Is there some size that is better than others? Or that fits mobile view better?

Maybe the picture needs to be quadratic instead of rectangular?

Added screenshots of description in app vs on web page.

Web.jpg

App.jpg

Cool picture.

If you want to make it fill the width of the page as shown, try this:

Upload a copy that you've reduced to 670 pixels wide, and use that, within simple HTML "p" or "div" tags, and with an "img" tag with no parameters other than "src". Don't try to resize in HTML.

I find this works well on the website, on the 3rd-party caching app I use (scrolls instead of squishing) , and have heard no complaint from people using "the app".

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

But I think that most of us (GPS users) also look at the website.  

Eventually, sure. But when I load a PQ into my handheld GPS (or into my smartphone app), I often don't look at the website until I'm logging my find. And sometimes not even then.

1 minute ago, niraD said:

Eventually, sure. But when I load a PQ into my handheld GPS (or into my smartphone app), I often don't look at the website until I'm logging my find. And sometimes not even then.

Oh, ok.  I usually start from the website to choose the caches that go on the list that becomes the PQ.

(Stupid auto correct--wants caches spelled cashes, but  corrected ;ist to ;its.)

• Upvote 1

Hi guys!

Thank you so much for replying to my questions, and I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to you with answers. I actually read your replies right away, but I have to admit - as I am new to geocaching, I am also new to using HTML. Therefore, I was a little confused by your advice at first, Viajero Perdido. I had to read up a little bit on HTML before trying to follow your tips. Well. Now I have tried resizing the pictures to be no more than 670 pixels wide before uploading them to the cache page. It looks great on the web, but in the mobile app the pictures are still looking stretched. Although, not as much as before, (with the original size). 

This is how it lookes now on one of mye cache pages:

5b566ec56c9ef_kinnarncollage(1).thumb.jpg.0b010394e89d00b76c86daa07687cb9f.jpg

I found that if I resized the images enough, they look "normal" in the app, but then they look really small on the website. So I don't really know what to do. I thought maybe the pictures would look better in the app if I made sure they were perfectly square (not rectangular), so I tried cropping them to be 670x670 pixels. But it didn't really help, as long as the pictures have a certain size the app doesn't manage to scale them down to fit the layout of the app.

I can't figure out a way to make the pictures look normal on both the web and in the app... So I guess it kinda comes down to what medium I should prioritize - the website or the app? What do "most people" use? 

I'm actually also wondering if this shows up differently on different phones, do the pictures look stretched on any phone? Any differences between different phones, or between android/iphone?

If any of you use the app, could you be so kind as to check out my cache pages in the app and let me know how the pictures look? This is the cache page with the pictures above:  https://coord.info/GC7T9CV

-Sirinen.