Keeping them safe!

na_pen84

Hello!

I own a couple of trackable tags and am thinking, instead of sending the physical tag to make a copy, laminate it and send it out to not run into the problem of losing the tag. What do you think?

na_pen84

Edited by na_pen84

This is an often asked topic.  Searches would find a bunch.   :)

We find a lot of "laminated" copies in caches, most crumbled and looking like the rest of the trash at the bottom.

I don't even Discover those anymore.  Can't make the code out at the creases...

If you have to have a proxy, wooden nickels and poker chips hold up well.

- Or you could simply hold on to your trackables and have them Discovered by people you meet on the trail or events.

Edited by cerberus1
spllelling ;)
  • Helpful 1
27 minutes ago, na_pen84 said:

I own a couple of trackable tags and am thinking, instead of sending the physical tag to make a copy, laminate it and send it out to not run into the problem of losing the tag. What do you think?

It's good to place a stunt double, if all you have is a nice tag or coin.  If the copy vanishes, you've still got the tag.

What is the "copy" made of?  What is your lamination process?  Ordinary home/office laminators basically use hot glue (or just glue).  Glue, especially "hot glue" is no good in caches.  Then there's the printing process.  Consumer printed items fade or bleed.  I place laminated "swag" items with the hope that they get claimed quickly, or that maybe somebody will throw them out when they become all un-laminated.

The trackable tags are metal and permanently inscribed with the tracking number and info.  If you're intending to lose them fast, laminated copies are OK.  If they continue to travel, eventually the "laminations" are creased and curled separate pieces of plastic, with fading printed info.  Remember that cachers don't log anything if an item is getting bad, they log "it's an absolute mess" after it has completely failed.

If you've seen "laminated items" in caches, you notice they tend to be in very bad shape.  I hope this doesn't discourage you :) from working on a durable "copy".  But beware that the easiest or cheapest ideas have been tried and often don't work in caches.  And they seemed great when placed.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1