farthest cache

Have not noticed a prior topic concerning this, but has anyone determined which caches are the farthest in any direction in the United States, excluding territories etc. ? East, west, south, and north--omit other directions for simplicity (NE - SW ). I c an imagine generally where they may be. 

I believe the northernmost is GC1YYCZ,  westernmost GCJ5C4,  both in Alaska; southernmost is the aptly named, Southernmost Geocache in the USA , GC5Q44G  and I completely forget eastern. A map search should yield it.

edited....  per map search of Maine, looks like Fundy Tides earthcache GC15114 is easternmost.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

GC5Q44G is furthest South in the Continental United States.

GC786HF in Hawaii is the furthest south in a US state.

But that ignores US controlled territory....

GC5B2YT in the American Samoa appears to be the furthest South in a US controlled territory

East/West gets a little cloudy depending on your break point - I am going to use the Prime Meridian.

East is in the Virgin Islands - I think GCH9ZX on St. Croix is the furthest East.

West is on Guam - I think GC3XWKD has the furthest west posted coordinates.  It is an unknown cache so GC1MHF9 may or may not be further west.

Edited by schmittfamily

Yep; I'll add that depending on how you want to define:

40 minutes ago, schmittfamily said:

US controlled territory

You could argue that while Antarctica is explicitly un-owned by international treaty that the BUILDINGS that comprise McMurdo Station are owned and operated by the federal government and since GC45HAX is located INSIDE one of those buildings... you get the picture.

But yes, in terms of the original question posed which confines the "farthest" by US States only...

North - GC1YYCZ - Beyond the Top of the World (Trad)

South - GC786HF - Honeycombing at Ka Lae (EC) (mine)

East - GC15114 - Fundy Tides (EC)
West - GCJ5C4 - Shemya Island - The Rock at the Edge of the Earth (Trad)

12 minutes ago, Isonzo Karst said:

Thanks for pointing out the Hawaii cache. Oddly, the last time this came up, I believe I did the same thing... ie, ignore the difference between USA and Continental USA. 

Those 4 would make for an interesting bit of travel ;-)

The southernmost point on the big Island is beautiful.

The northernmost point is... barren. I made it to within a 1/4 mile of the northernmost cache but got deterred by a large white ursine. All in all a great experience, but I'll have to settle for the second northernmost.

The Westernmost cache in the lower 48 states might be Beginning of the World [OPG] https://coord.info/GC6QCBH  At N 48° 23.103 W 124° 42.968  The actual western most point is a little further south but on an indian reservation and all off shore islands are not accessible.  Though looking at the map the opportunity might exist to place one further west. Been wanting to go here for a few years now.

17 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

I believe the northernmost is GC1YYCZ,  westernmost GCJ5C4,  both in Alaska; southernmost is the aptly named, Southernmost Geocache in the USA , GC5Q44G  and I completely forget eastern. A map search should yield it.

edited....  per map search of Maine, looks like Fundy Tides earthcache GC15114 is easternmost.

Alaska technically holds three of the most extreme spots:

East:  N 52° 43.602 E 174° 08.390Shemya Island - The Rock at the Edge of the Earth https://coord.info/GCJ5C4  Currently cache has 20 finds since 2004. Pretty tough to get to I imagine. I've always wanted to go to Attu and visit the WWII battlefield.