Garmin Communicator Plugin

Hello everybody,

Last week I tried several times to download a Geocache to my Garmin DAKOTA 20 GPS, I installed the communicator but it stil didn't work. I also tried it with several web brouwser: Chrome, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge. Now I just don't know what's the problem and why it still isn't working. Could somebody help me with this problem?

Stefan2004

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:06 AM, Stefan2004 said:

Last week I tried several times to download a Geocache to my Garmin DAKOTA 20 GPS, I installed the communicator but it stil didn't work. I also tried it with several web brouwser: Chrome, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge. Now I just don't know what's the problem and why it still isn't working. Could somebody help me with this problem?

Click the "GPX File" button on any cache page and save it to a Garmin GPS in the folder "Garmin/GPX".  Or for just one or two caches, typing coordinates manually can save a lot of time.  Do either of those two, and you're all set.  If that's not enough for you, strap in.  It's kind of a ride. :)

If you enjoy falling down the rabbit hole as much as I do ^_^, search these Forums for "Garmin Communicator Plugin" as Mineral 2 said. You will find endless discussion, including lists of steps that don't even work anymore, or may cease to work at any time.

Here's a help center page with options and additional reading:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=138&pgid=485

But be aware that if "Send To GPS" does not work for you, the Help Center info may not be helpful.  "Send To GPS" and its plugin "Garmin Communicator" is becoming less viable, especially so in the last couple of years.  Many people can still use it, until various updates happen.  The Forum has all the reading you will ever need on the subject, and more.

Edited by kunarion

so my frustration hit a new high with this subject, i cannot cache with a phone all the time and loading manual coordinates takes hours to get the desired things in to a gps, i have tried with garmin to fix this too and get absolutely nowhere. does any one know who cares and actually has the power to fix it or are we headed to a new dark age?

1 hour ago, biojava said:

so my frustration hit a new high with this subject, i cannot cache with a phone all the time and loading manual coordinates takes hours to get the desired things in to a gps, i have tried with garmin to fix this too and get absolutely nowhere. does any one know who cares and actually has the power to fix it or are we headed to a new dark age?

Dark age?  Hours?   Really?

I understand that folks get frustrated sometimes, but your most caches found in one day is 12. 

I average two minutes a cache manually loading them to a GPSr, and have been doing it that way since starting. 

- That looks like 24 minutes to me.  :)

But there are other options to load a pile in one shot for premium members, one is learning to do PQs. 

Another is the  Send to Garmin, which is similar to the "send to gps" function.

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, biojava said:

loading manual coordinates takes hours to get the desired things in to a gps

What drama... ;)

Search for communicator plugin and read the different solutions. Be glad it worked for so long for you, and try one of the many alternative loading methods.

I load 10's, 100's and even 1000's of caches in my Oregon 600 and it doesn't even take 5 minutes.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, on4bam said:

I load 10's, 100's and even 1000's of caches in my Oregon 600 and it doesn't even take 5 minutes.

Same here. Using GSAK, I can download about 6,000 caches, filter out those with last two logs as DNF, then load the rest into my GPSMap 62st in about 10 minutes (maybe a little longer) and I didn't have to manually type a single coordinate.

Funny thing though, although I routinely load about 6,000 caches at a time, after 12 years, my find count is only little more than 3,000. :P

8 hours ago, biojava said:

Come to the Dark Side.  We have cookies.

Add individual caches or entire search results (or combinations of that) to "Lists", and you can send them to a Garmin with a click, a new button called "Send To Garmin".  It uses Garmin Express, the same software you use to keep your Garmin GPS updated (not to be confused with Garmin Communicator which is going away for sure). 

Edited by kunarion
8 hours ago, biojava said:

The thing is, enlightened solutions to this problem existed before this was ever a problem. Pocket queries (including pocket queries from lists) have been around now for over a decade. GSAK has been around probably just as long. Single GPX file downloads have been available since the GPX file format was available. There really is no need to rely on the communicator plugins. If you refuse to utilize these other tools, it is you who are stuck in the dark age.

• Upvote 2
On 7/6/2018 at 9:04 AM, Mineral2 said:

Communicator plugins don't work anymore. There are literally hundreds of posts about that in this forum. Look for one of those to explain further.

If I had a nickel for every 'Garmin Communicator Plug-In' post.....

Edited by Atlas Cached
On 7/10/2018 at 12:57 PM, biojava said:

Easiest solution is to get a Garmin Oregon 7x0 unit and just refresh the map to see the current up to date geocache data for your location right on the GPSr in real time....

Post asking for help, and you get made fun of.

Or you get basically told you're an idiot, and that there's lots of info and workarounds. But not told what those are.

Or you get criticized for being a noob, or the number of caches per day you've found, or whatever.

I came here looking for answers to the same questions that many others have, and am still looking for answers.

4 hours ago, RadishSpirit said:

Or you get basically told you're an idiot, and that there's lots of info and workarounds. But not told what those are.

Or you get criticized for being a noob, or the number of caches per day you've found, or whatever.

I came here looking for answers to the same questions that many others have, and am still looking for answers.

I don't usually comment on the starts of arguments, however....

The problem is that the solution to the question(s) HAS been posted and discussed a number of times.  It is frustrating to see those who are asking for help, not do any type of research / digging or reading themselves... perhaps it is a symptom of the spoon fed society we live in.  Before you ask how to do something, just type your question into the search tool and see if the question has 1. Already been asked, and 2. read what the answers were....

If you want to use the latest tools, methods and technology, then you will need to educate yourself in the use of said tools, methods and technologies.  The suggestion to use GSAK is valid, but it also has a large learning curve and WILL require you doing reading and fooling around with it to understand how it works.  The alternative, if to meet up with some local cachers and ask how they are doing what you want to do and see if they will help you....

Best of luck.

DD

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
5 hours ago, RadishSpirit said:

I'm not sure what else you're looking for. kunarion's posts here and here seem to lay everything out in a non-judgmental manner, including available workarounds and other places to get more information about the matter.

I don't think anyone really gets made fun of in any of the numerous "Garmin Communicator" discussions, but the regulars may be a bit short because many people keep asking the same question without doing any searching to see if anyone else has already posted about it.

-Crossposted with DyverDown

Edited by The A-Team
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 06/07/2018 at 5:04 PM, Mineral2 said:

Communicator plugins don't work anymore. There are literally hundreds of posts about that in this forum. Look for one of those to explain further.

On 07/07/2018 at 5:08 PM, kunarion said:

Click the "GPX File" button on any cache page and save it to a Garmin GPS in the folder "Garmin/GPX".  Or for just one or two caches, typing coordinates manually can save a lot of time.  Do either of those two, and you're all set.  If that's not enough for you, strap in.  It's kind of a ride. :)

If you enjoy falling down the rabbit hole as much as I do ^_^, search these Forums for "Garmin Communicator Plugin" as Mineral 2 said. You will find endless discussion, including lists of steps that don't even work anymore, or may cease to work at any time.

Here's a help center page with options and additional reading:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=138&pgid=485

But be aware that if "Send To GPS" does not work for you, the Help Center info may not be helpful.  "Send To GPS" and its plugin "Garmin Communicator" is becoming less viable, especially so in the last couple of years.  Many people can still use it, until various updates happen.  The Forum has all the reading you will ever need on the subject, and more.

On 10/07/2018 at 10:11 PM, cerberus1 said:

Dark age?  Hours?   Really?

I understand that folks get frustrated sometimes, but your most caches found in one day is 12. 

I average two minutes a cache manually loading them to a GPSr, and have been doing it that way since starting. 

- That looks like 24 minutes to me.  :)

But there are other options to load a pile in one shot for premium members, one is learning to do PQs. 

Another is the  Send to Garmin, which is similar to the "send to gps" function.

On 11/07/2018 at 5:21 AM, kunarion said:

Come to the Dark Side.  We have cookies.

Add individual caches or entire search results (or combinations of that) to "Lists", and you can send them to a Garmin with a click, a new button called "Send To Garmin".  It uses Garmin Express, the same software you use to keep your Garmin GPS updated (not to be confused with Garmin Communicator which is going away for sure). 

On 27/07/2018 at 6:43 PM, RadishSpirit said:

Those seem like pretty helpful posts to me, pointing to where you can find help.

They are patient posts too : if you use the 'search' box at top  right of this page to input "garmin communicator plugin not wotking" it shows 75 results, all about this precise problem, many of them explanations and advice from the exact same folk . Google yielded "About 193,000 results" on the same phrase, to be honest I think it reflects well on the posters here that they took the time to type an answer . Again.

The plugin has been a problem for several years (see this for a simple explanation dated 2014) , maybe your irritation should be directed at Garmin for failing to either sort out their product or ensuring their website doesn't perpetuate the fiction that it works.

• Upvote 1