Geocaching no longer accessible from Android devices with version lower than 4.1?

Is it true that Android devices with version lower than 4.1 can now no longer access geocaching.com?  (For example - most likely affects other devices as well.)

Seems to be related to the update to TLS 1.2 which apparently took place sometime on Saturday and resulted in authorization problems for many users (as reported here and on several other forums).

Was this change announced anywhere?  Where can I stay informed of such changes in the future?

Edited by miaux

Yes, I am referring to the official app, all other apps, and the website, on the Android platform.  None seem to be accessible.

I have now seen 4.1, 4.3, and 5.0 as minimum supported Android version, can anyone confirm/deny this?

Same issue for me, however I am running Android 4.4.2.

Since July 1st, neither previously authenticated  live API access from Cachsense or GCDroid nor reauthentification work. "Communication with the service provider failed. No peer certificate."

seems that Cachsense is dead from now on as it is not maintained anymore.

Honestly, at some point older versions have to drop off the list for support.  If we're talking Jelly Bean (version 4.1), then that means at least five years old.  Nobody expects everyone to have Oreo or the developer previews of Android P, but things have progressed quite a ways since 2012, so you can't expect support forever.  Time to upgrade.

• Upvote 3

I wonder a little bit about the discussion with old system / time to upgrade. Me together with thousands others of Garmin Monterra users are left alone. The Monterra is still the best (!!) Geocaching solution, especially due to it  gives the possiblity to use Garmin as a Garmin and add the large Android possibilities like c:geo / GCC.

Gents: There is no way to upgrade an existing Garmin system. Why is GC doing this for just (!!) an authentification function (no payments etc. here) instead of finding another way?

BTW: Using the build in browser lets the Monterra access geocaching.com. And it remembers my successful login days later. Is there no way to do the authentification in that way?

Edited by Achim2205
2 hours ago, Achim2205 said:

I wonder a little bit about the discussion with old system / time to upgrade. Me together with thousands others of Garmin Monterra users are left alone. The Monterra is still the best (!!) Geocaching solution, especially due to it  gives the possiblity to use Garmin as a Garmin and add the large Android possibilities like c:geo / GCC.

Gents: There is no way to upgrade an existing Garmin system. Why is GC doing this for just (!!) an authentification function (no payments etc. here) instead of finding another way?

BTW: Using the build in browser lets the Monterra access geocaching.com. And it remembers my successful login days later. Is there no way to do the authentification in that way?

I'd say the onus is on Garmin to get with it and upgrade their software for that device.  Every other Android device has countless users ranting and raving when the latest Android version is not pushed out to their fancy new flagship phone.  Seems like Monterra users ought to be flooding Garmin's support services asking the same questions.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
12 minutes ago, J Grouchy said:

I'd say the onus is on Garmin to get with it and upgrade their software for that device.  Every other Android device has countless users ranting and raving when the latest Android version is not pushed out to their fancy new flagship phone.  Seems like Monterra users ought to be flooding Garmin's support services asking the same questions.

The Monterra was discontinued last year. It's still stocked. But whether a new Android version is coming, we'll see.

http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/monterra.html

Edited by kunarion
On 11/07/2018 at 12:55 AM, kunarion said:

The Monterra was discontinued last year.

If the Monterras sold as late as last year were still shipping with Android 4.0.1 on them, I wouldn't hold my breath for an update from Garmin. 4.4 came out in October '13, just a few months after the Monterra was announced.

I just downloaded this recommended geocaching software to my Xcover 2 and it can not connect to the server because the Android version is too old.

The App should be configured to be used only working devices. Now there is an error in this specification.

2 hours ago, wills2find said:

Why does this: https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2018/07/security-update-required-for-android-devices/ refer to "OS of 5.1 or lower." but then refer to "Android OS version is 4.4 or higher"?

Which is it?

If your OS is below 4.4, the app will stop working no matter what. You will need to update your device or acquire a new device with an OS version at or above 4.4 (or use the website)

If you OS is between 4.4 and 5.1,  the app might  briefly stop working, but you can update to the latest Geocaching App version (via the play store) and it should work fine again

If your OS is above 5.1, the system should handle the TLS switch and the app will keep working (although you should still update for the latest improvements & features!)

3 hours ago, wills2find said:

Why does this: https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2018/07/security-update-required-for-android-devices/ refer to "OS of 5.1 or lower." but then refer to "Android OS version is 4.4 or higher"?

Which is it?

The article to which you linked says that the TLS 1.0 situation (which is described in the article) affects Android devices that run ON 5.1 or lower:

"we removed support for a standard called TLS 1.0. We stopped support on June 30th which can affect Android devices that run an OS of 5.1 or lower."

Version 5.1 then is not a Geocaching thing, it's a TLS thing.

It then says that you can try to update the Geocaching App if you have Android 4.4 or higher:

"If your Android OS version is 4.4 or higher, you only need to update your app to the latest version. You can do this through the Google Play Store."

That may or may not work.  Below Android version 4.4, looks like the Geocaching App can't even be updated.  "4.4" would be the lower limit of Android version, where you may update to the latest Geocaching App version.  OS 5.1, Geocaching.com can help you set it up.  OS 4.4, that's as low as you could possibly be to try an update of the App.

On an old Android version, you'll notice many Apps not functioning or not having an update, not just the Geocaching App.  How old an OS are you planning to use?

Edited by kunarion
56 minutes ago, rocketgarden said:

If your OS is below 4.4, the app will stop working no matter what. You will need to update your device or acquire a new device with an OS version at or above 4.4 (or use the website)

If you OS is between 4.4 and 5.1,  the app might  briefly stop working, but you can update to the latest Geocaching App version (via the play store) and it should work fine again

If your OS is above 5.1, the system should handle the TLS switch and the app will keep working (although you should still update for the latest improvements & features!)

I've got OS v5.0.1 and the latest version of the Geocaching App I've got is v6.7.0 (which only updated last night) and now I'm getting the update required notice. 

rocketgarden, if I were to send you some screen shots would that help?

Edited by wills2find
21 minutes ago, kunarion said:

The article to which you linked says that the TLS 1.0 situation (which is described in the article) affects Android devices that run ON 5.1 or lower:

"we removed support for a standard called TLS 1.0. We stopped support on June 30th which can affect Android devices that run an OS of 5.1 or lower."

Version 5.1 then is not a Geocaching thing, it's a TLS thing.

It then says that you can try to update the Geocaching App if you have Android 4.4 or higher:

"If your Android OS version is 4.4 or higher, you only need to update your app to the latest version. You can do this through the Google Play Store."

That may or may not work.  Below Android version 4.4, looks like the Geocaching App can't even be updated.  "4.4" would be the lower limit of Android version, where you may update to the latest Geocaching App version.  OS 5.1, Geocaching.com can help you set it up.  OS 4.4, that's as low as you could possibly be to try an update of the App.

On an old Android version, you'll notice many Apps not functioning or not having an update, not just the Geocaching App.  How old an OS are you planning to use?

I've got OS v5.0.1 and the latest version of the Geocaching App I've got is v6.7.0 (which only updated last night) and now I'm getting the update required notice.

On 7/20/2018 at 11:11 AM, wills2find said:

Hi wills2find!

Are you able to log into the app after seeing it once? Or does it continuously appear?

It sounds like the service we are using caught the older version but is being slow on realizing that you upgraded.

1 hour ago, wills2find said:

The notice keeps reappearing. It's quite annoying.

41 minutes ago, ErewashPaddler said:

Yes, I've got this too - my geocaching app has been updated, and I have checked that there are no updates for my Android version (5.1.1). And yes, it's very annoying!

Thank you wills2find for bringing this up, and for ErewashPaddler for doubly confirming it.

It was an issue with our service that was sending out the messages not recognizing that our users actually updated their app.

We went and fixed it. You should see the adjustment in the next 15 minutes if not sooner.

Thank you again for reporting this. I apologize for how annoying that message was.

10 hours ago, dgruici said:

Thank you wills2find for bringing this up, and for ErewashPaddler for doubly confirming it.

It was an issue with our service that was sending out the messages not recognizing that our users actually updated their app.

We went and fixed it. You should see the adjustment in the next 15 minutes if not sooner.

Thank you again for reporting this. I apologize for how annoying that message was.

Thanks for working on it.