Do I place the cache before submitting the cache page?

ZacharyandSophie

Hi,

I'm hiding my first cache, and at the end of the submission process it says the following:

Once your geocache is in place and all of the details have been entered, click "Submit for review". A volunteer reviewer will begin the review process within about 7 days.

I thought I had to wait for the reviewer to review my submission before placing the cache, but this seems to suggest I should place the cache first.  Which is it?

Thanks!

Place the cache first. (Once the volunteer reviewer publishes your cache listing, you won't have time to place the cache before someone attempts to find it.)

If you are concerned that the area might be blocked by a nearby cache (perhaps a multi-cache or a puzzle cache that you haven't found yet), then you can ask the volunteer reviewer to check your coordinates. See the Help Center article  Check for minimum distance

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I'm glad you asked! 

My family has been burned more than once (and more than once in a single cache) searching for a cache that was never placed. After logging DNFs then the CO responds "We hadn't placed the cache yet but it's there now so go back and find it."

PASS!

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
On 7/3/2018 at 9:58 AM, Max and 99 said:

My family has been burned more than once (and more than once in a single cache) searching for a cache that was never placed. After logging DNFs then the CO responds "We hadn't placed the cache yet but it's there now so go back and find it."

PASS!

Yeah, it's happened to me a couple times.  Head out to search for a newly published cache and come up empty, not because I didn't find the correct hiding spot, but because the CO hadn't placed the cache yet. Frustrating and I think it's one of the reasons that new caches from new hiders do not get their FTF as quickly as new caches from known hiders.

3 hours ago, GeoNico19 said:

Does anyone know how long it takes for a cache to be approved? I placed it and added it to the website Monday and I’m still waiting. Just wondering if I did something wrong or if it’s normal. Thank you 

According to the Help Center article Cache review process, "Typically, review begins within 7 days of the date that you submit your cache."

You should also have received an email that explained this when you submitted your cache listing for review. If you didn't receive that email, then perhaps it's in your junkmail folder, or perhaps the email address configured for your geocaching.com account is incorrect.

3 hours ago, GeoNico19 said:

Does anyone know how long it takes for a cache to be approved? I placed it and added it to the website Monday and I’m still waiting. Just wondering if I did something wrong or if it’s normal. Thank you 

Did you submit it for review?  That box at the top of your cache page says the reviewer will then "begin the review process within about 7 days".  If you submitted it, look for reviewer notes.  When I submit one, it's published (or rejected for a large number of major errors B)) within a few hours.

Untitled-1r.jpg

11 hours ago, Keystone said:

The cache was submitted for review properly on Monday.  A Reviewer has already responded with a question.

GeoNico19, if you didn't get the email alert for the reviewer's question, then you should sort out why not.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, niraD said:

GeoNico19, if you didn't get the email alert for the reviewer's question, then you should sort out why not.

+1

I've had "Yahoo Mail" set up to access my email, for years.  I get email on my PC the usual way with Microsoft's Mail program, or on phone Apps, and sometimes get Geocaching.com email, sometimes don't.  But if I open Yahoo Mail, behold!  Every Geocaching Notification from the beginning of time is right there in its Junk folder!

Edited by kunarion