Cruise ports of call coordinates.

h2o z

We are going on a 3 week cruise with Viking called the Iconic Western Mediterranean cruise. I would like to do some geocaching at each stop if possible. How can I get either the address or GPS coordinates for each one of those ports of call? Thanks.

I used the map and simply found a close enough cache to it. You could also use google maps - a right click on the port will allow you to get coordinates via "what's here".

I'm assuming your cruise brochure gives you some kind of idea of where each port is - Rome, for example, is some way away from Rome and in Marseille the port is a bus ride away iirc - knowing where the port is wouldn't really have helped there - a map search based on where the buses drop off near the city centre would be much more helpful.

Thanks for the reply. That is the problem - I just would like to get a cache somehow at each port but I don't care if it's at the port stop within walking distance or after a bus ride to whatever town. From previous experience most of the excursions we will be on don't allow much free time.

I probably don't understand the question, because of course if you want to know the exact locations of the stops of your cruise you can only ask the cruise company to be sure of the right answer. First of all we don't know which ports are on your specific cruise (also depends on the date), next to this some cities have multiple ports and you'll have to ask the cruise company which location they will use and be aware this might change during your cruise. You could also find info on a website like: link  by entering the name of each port and choose the right date.

Having found the cruise itinerary, Monaco's easy - I found one there by the Rascasse bar (part of the F1 circuit) that was within 5 minutes walking distance of the ship berth.

In Rome, Civitavecchia really isn't that open a port and iirc the buses are likely to pick you up from the ship and drop you back there, so it would be tricky to get to even the nearest cache, although you could probably do so so long as your bus back isn't too close to debarkation time. Assuming you're going into Rome, I'd look for an earth cache, although you don't seem to do many of those. We got on the local train and made out own way into Rome and did our own thing on the metro.

Marseille, as I say, is a bit of an issue. This cache is probably the closest to the port, and you can see the docks on the map - and there's really nothing else around there. It depends on what your plan is when you're docked there.

I don't know the other ports at all. At Sète there's really nothing to find very much - this is the nearest cache to what appears to be the dock. Livorno it might be this one - again, the map seems to suggest that's reasonably close but, again, it depends on where you plan to go. You seem be in Barcelona for longer and so should be able to find lots to do there. This seems to be the nearest cache to the port which is a wee bit away from the centre by the looks of it.

On 7/3/2018 at 1:58 PM, h2o z said:

Thanks for the reply. That is the problem - I just would like to get a cache somehow at each port but I don't care if it's at the port stop within walking distance or after a bus ride to whatever town. From previous experience most of the excursions we will be on don't allow much free time.

I would use Google maps as suggested above.  It should be fairly easy to identify where cruise ships disembark/embark by zooming in or just entering a search.  For example, I entered "cruise ship terminal near Rome" and it shows the port in Civitavecchia.   Zooming in shows the navigation route into the port, and on satellite view, one can sometimes even see exactly where cruise ships berth.  Right click on the page, and the select "What's Here?" and it'll bring up a window with coordinates in Decimal Degrees Format.   Copy and paste those coordinates onto the Geocaching Maps page and you'll see the nearest caches.   Just looking at the cache names can help.  For Civitavecchia I see one called:  West Mediterranean Cruise Caches - CIVITAVECCHIA

If you use Google Chrome a tool you might find useful is a Cachelist extension for Chrome.  It lets you select cache from a map (or from the cache page) and add them to a list.  Then you can save that list as a GPX file and/or print out the complete list in a nice, concise format.  

On 7/2/2018 at 10:49 PM, h2o z said:

We are going on a 3 week cruise with Viking called the Iconic Western Mediterranean cruise. I would like to do some geocaching at each stop if possible. How can I get either the address or GPS coordinates for each one of those ports of call? Thanks.

The Viking website shows that cruise as 8 days long. Did you mean you are going in three weeks rather than for three weeks? If you are going in three weeks your ship is listed as the Viking Orion. If you go to www.vesselfinder.com you can see the current position of that ship. If you click on "track" (left side) you can see about a days worth of positions and as of this post you can zoom in and see the precise location of where it docked in Napoli (see attached screenshot) I followed the tracks of Hurtigruten ships along the northern and western coast of Norway for several days to nail down the exact location of each of our ship's 33 stops. Some were as short as 15" (working boat as well as a cruiser) and occurred in the middle of the night so we had to plan very carefully to grab some of the caches we got. Good luck and enjoy the trip!

Viking Orion copy.jpg

Edited by Michaelcycle