DeLorme will not allow download

My dad and I have each have a Delorme. There are times we just want to download individual caches cause we are in a rush on the way out the door and don't have time to do the pocket queries but for some reason the downloading of individual caches is not working.  Anyone else have this issue and is there a resolution?  

Also, this works only on the Black (PN-60), Orange (PN-40 with firmware version 2.something) and never on the yellow (PN-20). Since you didn't say what GPS you have (Delorme was a company, not a GPS model) it's really tough to advise much. 

Delorme (the company) has neglected these units for many years and after they were bought by Garmin, updates got really hard to find from them. Hopefully Mineral2's answer is enough to get you going without needing to dive into GPS Trivial Pursuit where we ask "what GPS" and actual details for "not working" .

2 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

On the cache page, use the "GPX File" button instead of "Send to my GPS." Save the GPX file in the appropriate folder on your device.

Unfortunately, on a Delorme, you have to open a specific GPX file, so while this would work, when the OP loaded the file, he'd only be able to see that one cache which I'm guessing isn't what he wants.

My recollection is that the single cache download for Delorme broke a couple years ago and wasn't fixed. I didn't really notice because I always just use pocket queries. If you're used to doing pocket queries normally, it's not really that much harder to just run a fresh pocket query. I find that if I click the checkbox to run a pocket query, by the time I plug in my PN-60, the PQ's normally finished and is waiting to be downloaded.

The only gotcha is that you can only run any given pocket query once a day, so if you ran it in the morning but have some new cache you want to grab in the evening, you have to download it through a different pocket query. (I believe "today" is defined by the time in Washington State, in case you're wondering.)

9 hours ago, dprovan said:

Unfortunately, on a Delorme, you have to open a specific GPX file

Well that's unfortunate. If that is indeed the case, it might be worth ditching the DeLorme and buying a Garmin. It won't solve the "Send to my GPS" problem - as far as I know, ever GPS manufacturer's communication plugin was built on the now blocked NPAPI platform. But at least a Garmin plays nice with multiple GPX files.

4 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

Well that's unfortunate. If that is indeed the case, it might be worth ditching the DeLorme and buying a Garmin. It won't solve the "Send to my GPS" problem - as far as I know, ever GPS manufacturer's communication plugin was built on the now blocked NPAPI platform. But at least a Garmin plays nice with multiple GPX files.

There are certainly many reasons for anyone using a Delorme to consider moving on. This is actually one of the least interesting. In fact, I see this more as a feature than a limitation.

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:22 PM, Big Dreamer said:

My dad and I have each have a Delorme. There are times we just want to download individual caches cause we are in a rush on the way out the door and don't have time to do the pocket queries but for some reason the downloading of individual caches is not working.  Anyone else have this issue and is there a resolution?  

Here's my answer. Cancel your membership, toss the Delorme, get out of geocaching. I have experienced the same BS with Ham Radio equipment. It has a time limit, let's say ten years. After that the company will not support the equipment, and when you buy the new stuff it isn't as good as what you had, also on top of that now we have to worry about chinese junk. Just sit back, sip on a cool one, remember the good ole days!

1 hour ago, N4RS said:

Here's my answer. Cancel your membership, toss the Delorme, get out of geocaching. I have experienced the same BS with Ham Radio equipment. It has a time limit, let's say ten years. After that the company will not support the equipment, and when you buy the new stuff it isn't as good as what you had, also on top of that now we have to worry about chinese junk. Just sit back, sip on a cool one, remember the good ole days!

That's terrible advice. Yes, tech tools break down over time, and it's not always feasible or cost effective to provide unlimited support to outdated hardware. That's no reason to get out of geocaching.

You've ignored one of the biggest factors here: DeLorme no longer exists. Garmin bought it. Garmin has always made superior GPS receivers, even with the firmware bugs in the most current units. Ditching the DeLorme for a Garmin is a viable solution.

Don't want to support Garmin? Use your smartphone. All phones these days have a GPS receiver antenna and chip built into them. Geocaching apps, whether the official app or a 3rd party API app, are more than capable for handling the game. In some ways, there is an advantage to using a phone over a traditional GPS, and in other ways the GPS is still the preferred choice over a phone. The point is, just because your outdated hardware is no longer supported is no reason to quit an enjoyable activity.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

I wasn't aware of the Garmin buyout. So next question, which Garmin is the best. Money is not an issue for me, performance is! Do I get new or refurbished from Garmin? I live north of KC where I assume they are produced. I suppose I could drive down there and get what I need unless you or someone has a better idea?.....You can email me direct... n4rs@iamotelephone.com.

1 hour ago, N4RS said:

I wasn't aware of the Garmin buyout. So next question, which Garmin is the best. Money is not an issue for me, performance is! Do I get new or refurbished from Garmin?

One thing to consider carefully is not far from what you said earlier:  What is being discontinued?  Garmin drops support after discontinuing products, after some timeframe.  Every gadget manufacturer does.  Pretty much.

Do you prefer hard keys or touch screen?  One line of products has buttons and arrows, another line has touch screens.  Each has its advantages.  I have a Garmin Oregon 650T, and it's been great except in a downpour when the touch screen can't tell which is a finger and which is a giant raindrop.  Also note that Garmin no longer lists "Oregon 650" in their product line.

Look at the current products and compare features.  Here's one where I populated the Compare screen with some Garmin handheld models:

https://www.gpscity.com/compare/64&oreg700&etrex30x&etrex20x

Here's Garmin's page.  You can do side-by-side comparisons here:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/c12521-p1.html

Edited by kunarion
On 7/1/2018 at 11:22 PM, Big Dreamer said:

The way I get around the “send to GPS” issue is I have several identical pocket queries for the same area using the same query name for them.  Here is how I do it.  First, make sure the “Include Pocket Query Name” is checked in the Pocket Query form then make two identical queries with the same title but with the leading number in one query being even and the other odd.  So, for instance, one query’s title may be called “XXXXXX1-HomeTown” and the other “XXXXXX2-HomeTown” (Groundspeak controls the numbers so it may take several tries to get an odd/even combo).
For normal operations run the odd number query then remove the number from the title leaving just “HomeTown” prior to drag & dropping it into the PN-XX unit.  Now, if there is a need to run a second query, run the even numbered one. There will be no 24 hour delay.  As before, remove the number from the newest query’s title and drag & drop. It will replace the previous query in the unit.  
I, in fact, have four (two odd, two even) “HomeTown” queries ready to go just in case one of Groundspeak’s  servers goes down.  
I have no intentions of throwing away a perfectly good GPSr that has served me well for so many years as long as I can adapt.

5 hours ago, Capt. Bob said:

For normal operations run the odd number query then remove the number from the title leaving just “HomeTown” prior to drag & dropping it into the PN-XX unit.  Now, if there is a need to run a second query, run the even numbered one.

Interesting approach, but I'm surprised this happens often enough for you to worry about. I think there's been once or twice when I knew a PQ I'd just run would be too stale -- a new cache published, for example -- but I can usually just run another PQ that overlaps my main PQ. For example, my main PQ leaves out caches I've already found, but I have other PQs that cover the same area that include all caches, so I just run one of them.

Not clear what this has to do with the OP, but I did bring up this limitation, so I can't really complain if we talk about it.

17 hours ago, dprovan said:

Interesting approach, but I'm surprised this happens often enough for you to worry about. I think there's been once or twice when I knew a PQ I'd just run would be too stale -- a new cache published, for example -- but I can usually just run another PQ that overlaps my main PQ. For example, my main PQ leaves out caches I've already found, but I have other PQs that cover the same area that include all caches, so I just run one of them.

Not clear what this has to do with the OP, but I did bring up this limitation, so I can't really complain if we talk about it.

Adding newly published caches happens quite often for me.  I run a PQ overnight then I check for new caches prior to leaving.  I want the new caches to be in context with the original PQ’s area that I intended to visit, which is the purpose of the PN-XX’s file system, i.e., to keep things organized for easy retrieval and display.  By putting newly published caches in differently named files defeats that purpose.  

I realize the OP doesn’t want to run PQ’s, but with the loss of “Send to my GPS” capabilities, using “GPX file” will create individual files in the PN-XX and cause more confusion in the long run.

On 8/25/2018 at 5:45 AM, Capt. Bob said:

The way I get around the “send to GPS” issue is I have several identical pocket queries for the same area using the same query name for them.

This is a convoluted approach. Alternatively, you could use GSAK or iCaching to manage a database of caches in your home area, run the PQ to keep most of them up to date, and use an API import to bring in newly published caches that appear. And then export a filtered set (say, unfound active caches only for example) upon demand. Each time you run the export, it'll just overwrite the previous file.