How do I play geocaching in China?

Udomomo

I'll spend a few days in Beijing this summer, but now I wonder how I can avoid China GPS offset.

I don't have GPS device and play usually with my iPhone, so maybe I should prepare an offline map, but I don't know how to do that.

If there's anyone who has recently visited China, I'd like to hear about your experience, and what you've prepared beforehand.

1 hour ago, arisoft said:

After you have solved this mystery

https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC7JGZW&title=china-gps-offset

you should have no problems.

I am sorry, but it is not allowed to give any spoilers according to terms of use agreement. ;)

One more cache has added to my travel preparation :P

Edited by Udomomo
Improving grammer
5 hours ago, Udomomo said:

I'll spend a few days in Beijing this summer, but now I wonder how I can avoid China GPS offset.

I don't have GPS device and play usually with my iPhone, so maybe I should prepare an offline map, but I don't know how to do that.

If there's anyone who has recently visited China, I'd like to hear about your experience, and what you've prepared beforehand.

I didn't have any issues finding a few caches in Beijing a few years ago.  There are quite a few in the Old and New Summer Palace and Olympic Forest Park was a wonderful place to find a few caches as well.   The only offset that I saw was the satellite images were offset from a basemap.  If you try geocaching using satellite photos and some maps you may have trouble but if you're just navigating to a marker that has lat/long coordinates with a GPS there is no offset.  Don't use maps.  

14 hours ago, peter-tvm said:

During the 3 times I have been caching in China Open Street Map have been OK to use.

Some streets/buildings may be missing since they are being built quicker than the map is updated. But 95% of the caches was found according to the map.

I've been to China three times but only geocached during two of those visits.  I also used the open street maps for Garmin on my handheld GPS.  It was only after my first visit that I learned about the map offset.   It's very easy to see it by using Google maps and switching back and forth between the "Map view" and "Satellite view".