taking TB's across international borders

Dez

I am going to South Korea from Canada later this year and I'm going to host an event or 2 to gather up travel bugs from other cachers to drop in Korea.  Has any one had problems bringing TB's across international borders?  I know border control sometimes ask if you are going to leave anything in the country you are visiting.  How would you answer that when language may be a barrier?  I'm guessing that with a bag full of oddments in my suitcase it's sure to be searched manually.

Has anyone had experience with this? I'm not interested in stories of going into the states because I'm avoiding that country.

Thanks in advance

Dez

I've never been asked directly (and I have flown Canada -> South Korea), but usually the form you fill out on the plane refers to "goods and merchandise", or words to that effect.  I don't remember the exact terminology in that particular case.  But arguably TBs are neither goods nor merchandise, because they have no resale value.  If pressed, you could say they're "gifts", because really they are; they're something you're leaving behind but not expecting any payment, therefore gift.  Or you could suddenly decide, you're taking them right back home, just "visiting" the caches in Korea.

TLDR: I always declare zero on the form, and I've never had to elaborate.

I wouldn't even attempt to explain this game-within-a-game in any detail.

BTW, I'm hoping to return to Seoul this fall, for another feast of trail-caching on the outskirts, not to mention the daily feasting on authentic Korean food.  Can hardly wait.

PS, I have a recent hide that's kimchi-themed to match its neighbors and the peak it's on.  FTF available.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

I have never declared a geocoin or trackable to customs when traveling.  I usually have my bag of TBs in my camera backpack, and more attention is paid to my cameras and lenses than to anything else.

When mailing a geocoin to another country, I have learned that referring to a geocoin as a "coin" will immediately pique the interest of postal inspectors and usually starts a discussion about mailing of currency.  On those customs forms, I refer to them as "tokens" (and categorize them as gifts), and it becomes a non-issue.

Edited by hzoi